Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who has a Samsung Tapeless Camcorder??? Software Issue

Who has a Samsung Tapeless Camcorder??? Software Issue
Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2007, 11:05 AM

I am looking at buying one from a friend of mine but I can't seem to get the video's I pull off of it to work on my Mac.
This model specifically is Samsung VP-MM12S and was picked up in Thailand while he was on a trip and no longer needs/wants it now that he is back.
I can get my MacBook Pro to see the camera and I can get the video off and onto my computer but when I try and play thw AVI, it has a white screen only but does have proper sound.....I do have my codecs for DivX and even tried in VLC and it is not playing so I don't think it is what you would call a regular AVI movie file.

It does have some software for a PC and when installed, it works fine and everything looks great.....But I don't have a PC and would like to run whatever video I take through iMovie or iDVD to edit when the time comes.

Anyone have one of these camera's and now what needs to be installed to get it to work? I didn't want to go near bootcamp just cause there was no need and now the though has crossed my mind, but would still come to the issue of editing software.

I am hoping anyone would be able to help out
Who reads this???

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2007, 11:24 PM

I Googled that camcorder model and there were no hits in English. I don't understand Thai but it appears the camera also supports MPEG-4. A better format for video anyway and iMovie will import MPEG-4.

Daracle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2007, 11:06 PM

Yeah, thats the hard part.

Thanks very much, I will see if I can change what it is recording in

I didn't even notice, but I think it is already thinking it is recording in MPEG-4...There is a sticker on it saying DVD Quality MPEG-4 Movie and I can't find anywhere in the settings out to change a recording format.

I think it is just sketchy.

Thanks again though
Who reads this???

nerd
Senior User
Apr 25, 2007, 10:36 AM

If it's recording in AVCHD then it's my understanding that QuickTime can't decode it, doesn't make sense I know... Try playing them back using VLC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules