Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I Have to Re-enable Mail 1 - 2 Times a Day - Why

I Have to Re-enable Mail 1 - 2 Times a Day - Why
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2009, 02:59 PM

I have 2 mail accounts, one through AOL and the other on .me.com. Periodically one or both stops working. I have to go to preferences->advanced->and re-check "enable this account". What is going on?? It un-checks itself from time to time.

Thanks,

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Dec 10, 2009, 10:44 PM

Do you have FileVault enabled? Also, how often do you have the accounts set to check for new email?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2009, 01:11 PM

File vault is not enabled and it checks for mail every minute.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2009, 06:33 PM

Is there any reason you might lose network connectivity briefly? I’ll have to reactivate accounts if Mail checks ’em, say, when I’m out of reach of Wi-Fi or some other temporary network glitch. It’s quite possible your Internet goes down for a few seconds at a time a few times a day, and with as often as you’re checking Mail, it crosses paths with those times. Maybe try setting your mail-checking interval to every 5 or 15 minutes?

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2009, 01:51 PM

I called Apple and they helped me out. I had my 4 computers sync'ed on MobileMe. Apparently they did not play well and could not decide what computer was the boss. I went to the MM pref pane and unchecked the sync for this, Mail. It only does so for the preferences, not the data so once each computer is up and running there is no need to sync prefs.

Thanks Apple.

aehaas

Forum Links
Forum Rules