Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The worst boss ever.

The worst boss ever.
Thread Tools
Monique
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2010, 01:21 AM
 
Tonight I had to get drunk because I was suspended for one day. My fault was that I consult a document that was a mid-term evaluation.

Also, I have been harrass at work for the past 1½ year. I hate where I am working but I work for a huge organization that gives amazing benefits.

Also, the union was kind enough to take on my case, so we will make a grievance on my suspension and a harrassment... well you know what I have to get use to shut my big mouth and not trust people. This is very hard for me because I am a people person.

So, my dream is that my boss loses his job over this. But, it is unlikly to happen.
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2010, 08:03 PM
 
Can you get a transfer?
     
Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2010, 09:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can you get a transfer?
Not at this time, I will be busy in getting them fired if I can, later when my point will be proven, there will be no more obstacles.

I have a co-worker, what if you accept this punishment and play dead, well that will not keep them of trying to fire me becaus I am different.
     
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2010, 10:10 PM
 
seems like you've got your priorities in order
     
Andy8
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 9, 2010, 10:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Tonight I had to get drunk because I was suspended for one day. My fault was that I consult a document that was a mid-term evaluation.

Also, I have been harrass at work for the past 1½ year. I hate where I am working but I work for a huge organization that gives amazing benefits.

Also, the union was kind enough to take on my case, so we will make a grievance on my suspension and a harrassment... well you know what I have to get use to shut my big mouth and not trust people. This is very hard for me because I am a people person.

So, my dream is that my boss loses his job over this. But, it is unlikly to happen.
Sue your boss for harassment.
     
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: midwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2010, 10:36 AM
 
You had to get drunk because you were suspended for one day? Be careful Monique, drinking to cope with problems can lead to more problems.

How are you different and how were you harassed?
ebuddy
     
Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
 
How am I harrassed?

They insult me, threatened me, make me feel like nothing, try to get me fired, put me down, etc.

What I will do, well for now it is a secret that I won't even reveal here. Will let you know when it happens.
     
Andy8
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2010, 08:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
How am I harrassed?
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Also, I have been harrass at work for the past 1½ year. I hate where I am working but I work for a huge organization that gives amazing benefits.

Also, the union was kind enough to take on my case, so we will make a grievance on my suspension and a harrassment... well you know what I have to get use to shut my big mouth and not trust people. This is very hard for me because I am a people person..
I thought it was quite clear.
     
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2010, 08:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Tonight I had to get drunk because I was suspended for one day. My fault was that I consult a document that was a mid-term evaluation.

Also, I have been harrass at work for the past 1½ year. I hate where I am working but I work for a huge organization that gives amazing benefits.

Also, the union was kind enough to take on my case, so we will make a grievance on my suspension and a harrassment... well you know what I have to get use to shut my big mouth and not trust people. This is very hard for me because I am a people person.

So, my dream is that my boss loses his job over this. But, it is unlikly to happen.
Huh what? I remember you complaining about your horrible job, life, country 5+ years ago.

You STILL not take the proper steps to correct all this (other than complaining about it on a computer forum)
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2010, 08:48 PM
 
Venting here is something a lot of people do. I trust that Monique doesn't expect us to provide much hands-on support, though I'd say that going through the union is probably her best approach. I wish you well with this upcoming grievance action, Monique; nobody should have to endure harassment on the job, no matter what the benefits are. Good luck.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 01:21 AM
 
Is there any chance we could get the whole story?

If you spend a few moments and compose a round-up of what went on and what is currently happening, you might get some good advice. You'll get bad advice as well, but you want to be on offense with this, and you'll want a good pool of information and opinion to draw from.

Even if 99% of the submissions are garbage, that 1% of useful input might really help.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 01:26 AM
 
Have you thought about moneying in your boss's cubical when he isn't looking?
     
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 02:02 AM
 
What does that mean, besson3c?
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 02:09 AM
 
It means that MacNN believes in censoring me.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 08:32 AM
 
Why is this thread in the Political/War Lounge?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
 
My guess is this is her default page for the forums.
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
 
Is English not your first language Monique, or is this some sort of riddle?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 03:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Have you thought about moneying in your boss's cubical when he isn't looking?


I love the 'NN admins.

-t
     
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Baltimore
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
 
Okay I get that we're all a little nicer to the female posters and all, but seriously...harassed for a year and a half? No.

If you really understand what harassment is you would know that you don't have to put up with it for a week and a half, let alone a year and half. It might not be a pleasant place to work, but if it's really hostile and you've let it go on for this long, you've kind of been telling them that you're okay with it. Probably because you think it's worth it for the "amazing benefits."

So here's my theory. Like a lot of people, you have a crappy job that you haven't left because the pay/benefits make it worth it. But recently you did something wrong, got caught, got suspended, and then suddenly realized that you've been "harassed" and this is somehow your boss' fault. Am I close on this?
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 09:36 PM
 
It is actually not uncommon for people to put up with harassment for long enough for it become a habit with the harasser. Typically the victim thinks "they'll get tired of this if I don't respond or react" and waits for the activity to die out, while the perpetrator generally simply ratchets up the harassment trying to get a response. Pretty soon habits are formed and it suddenly dawns on the victim that the harassment has been going on for several months. Add being worried about losing your job for reporting a dung heap of a boss and you can see how this can go on for a long, long time before the victim is sick enough of the behavior that they do something about it, consequences be damned.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
 
     
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Baltimore
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 07:01 AM
 
I understand your point, ghporter, and I'd bite on a few months, but not a year and a half. Not in this day and age. Sorry, but I've got to call BS. If you're knowledgeable enough to know what the term harassment is, then you also know you don't have to put up with it. If she had said 'my boss yells at me,' or 'my boss flirts with me' I might be a little more inclined to by it. But she got suspended, and then said that she'd been "harassed" for a year and a half.

Reminds me of the old joke (and I'm not trying to be insulting to the original poster here, it's not directed at you), a call-girl walks into a bank to deposit a check from one of her clients. When the bank teller tells here there isn't sufficient funds to cover the check she says 'oh no, I've been raped.'
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 01:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Is English not your first language Monique, or is this some sort of riddle?
English is not here first language, which is why it can sometimes be a bit difficult to read.

You can do what Arenas did and soil your bosses shoes (he did it to a teammate supposedly).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
English is not here first language,
Or yours, either (BIG WINKY FACE)
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
 
Damn you.

To be fair, I haven't had coffee yet.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 01:51 PM
 
To be fair I admit entire words from half my posts. Proof reading died a long time ago for me.
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 02:00 PM
 
Proof-reading is suckers.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
 
Indee
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
 
white text to make it look like I forgot to write my post let alone speel it correctly.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 08:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Or yours, either (BIG WINKY FACE)
OH SO YOU CAN DO THAT BUT WHEN I POST THE BIG WINKY FACE I GET INFRACTED? WTF GRRRRRRR.
allcaps
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2010, 09:36 PM
 
Don't make me stop this forum! If I have to, I'll turn around and we'll all go home!

Seriously, let's settle down, shall we?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
 
I have tried with one union representative to go further than a simple moderation. Like I said earlier I am going to take some actions this week and until I do I cannot discussed it too much. When I started this thread I was venting because it is so frustrating to get punished just because I opened a document with my name on it and on which I had access to.

As a woman we usually go on longer than we should when it comes to abuse. A co-worker was telling me if you do not do anything and play dead isn't this thing going away on its own. No, it will not and now I have a terrific union rep. that will help me. Thank you for your support and the good funny ideas.
     
jonn804
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
 
Get even with your boss:
1. Go to a public library and use one of their Mac's (or computers).
2. Go to ever political site, medical site, 'junk' site and enter your bosses email address.
3. Make sure the sites are something your boss does not agree with, especially sexually related material.
4. Listen to your boss scream about the increase in 'spam' that she/he is receiving.
5. If you company has an site that you can report ethics violations (especially without revealing you name)...... have fun.
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2010, 07:16 PM
 
Seriously ?

Reporting someone for receiving spam emails ? Dude

-t
     
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Baltimore
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 12:11 AM
 
Please. I've worked in a Union environment for 15 years. If you're in a Union and you've got anything even close to seniority, it's darn near impossible to get fired. If you got suspended and the Union can't get your job back, you did something a hell of a lot worse than just 'open a document.'

And that thing about women usually putting up with abuse longer than they should?? I don't know where you're getting that, 'cause the 600 or so (Union) women I work with would put up with it about for about 30 seconds before they would be in their stewards office.

I'm not trying to be a pri¢k here, but I get irritated when I see a real lack of personal accountability. Maybe 50 or 60 years ago people were at the mercy of their employers. But today? With all the federal oversight agencies (EEO, OSHA, etc.), the over-abundance of attorneys, and the Unions? No way. Even small employers spend hundreds of thousands training and educating workers about discrimination, sexual harassment and hostile work environment. They have to do it because of the constant threat of litigation, so at the very least you were informed about it during your on-boarding or employee orientation., but many companies have annual compliance refreshers.

So if you missed some of this education, or if you just chose to ignore it, step up and take a little personal responsibility. It's just a little beyond coincidence for me that you suddenly realized you had been harassed after you got suspended for a disciplinary issue.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by keylimepi View Post
it's just a little beyond coincidence for me that you suddenly realized you had been harassed after you got suspended for a disciplinary issue.
qft.
     
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 12:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
I'm not trying to be a pri¢k here, but I get irritated when I see a real lack of personal accountability. Maybe 50 or 60 years ago people were at the mercy of their employers. But today? With all the federal oversight agencies (EEO, OSHA, etc.), the over-abundance of attorneys, and the Unions? No way. Even small employers spend hundreds of thousands training and educating workers about discrimination, sexual harassment and hostile work environment. They have to do it because of the constant threat of litigation, so at the very least you were informed about it during your on-boarding or employee orientation., but many companies have annual compliance refreshers.
She's in Canada. I don't know how different it is, but it's definitely different in at least a few respects. Give her the benefit of the doubt, why don't you?
     
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 01:19 AM
 
The woman who sits next to me was fired because she was late every day. The boss told her that she couldn't come in late again and she did. That was that.

What makes this story interesting is that 50% of our office is late everyday and no action is taken.

My point is that people are usually fired (or suspended) for way more then whatever infraction is written into the file. The thing that ends up on the written notice is just the thing they can quantify.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 01:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
I understand your point, ghporter, and I'd bite on a few months, but not a year and a half. Not in this day and age. Sorry, but I've got to call BS. If you're knowledgeable enough to know what the term harassment is, then you also know you don't have to put up with it. If she had said 'my boss yells at me,' or 'my boss flirts with me' I might be a little more inclined to by it. But she got suspended, and then said that she'd been "harassed" for a year and a half.

Reminds me of the old joke (and I'm not trying to be insulting to the original poster here, it's not directed at you), a call-girl walks into a bank to deposit a check from one of her clients. When the bank teller tells here there isn't sufficient funds to cover the check she says 'oh no, I've been raped.'
I used to investigate EEOC claims at a former place of employment. You'd be shocked at the systematic harassment someone will take if they are concerned they will lose a job they desperately need. As a matter of fact, many supervisors that harass their subordinates count on exactly that. I remember one claim where a woman didn't feel she could make a case until she managed to record on a webcam her boss telling her "No one will ever believe you over me, you stupid **nt. I'm a well respected person here."

I also dealt with claims that were pretty stupid and baseless, but I'd say the vast majority had merit.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jan 21, 2010 at 01:12 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 11:41 AM
 
Harassment can come in many forms. I stayed at a job once far longer than I should have, the boss was abusive and liked mind games. It wasn't sexual harassment, which would get a clearly defined foot up the bosses ass, but more subtle mental stuff.

I don't know why I stayed, just having a job I guess... I eventually got fired for no reason and in retrospect that was a good thing.

I hope you get retribution Monique.
     
KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Baltimore
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 08:40 PM
 
Let me be clear. Harassment is real and it's criminal. No argument there. And sometimes it happens to people who are uneducated or unable to chance their circumstances. Tragic.

But did you actually read any of these posts? The poster is upset because she got suspended. Meaning she's going to go back to this job. Yea...back to the same place she says she knows is guilty of harassment. Not reporting them. Not suing them. Going back and trying to get the Union to to take her side.

And this psycho thing about trying to get back at her boss? 'What I will do is a secret that I won't even reveal here.' Sounds like a model employee.

Listen, I've come on these boards when I've had a bad day, even when I knew it was my own fault, and I've gotten some much-appreciated, if undeserved sympathy. But if it's really harassment, stay away from that job. Report them to the Federal Labour Standards Review Commission. Or get a lawyer and file a civil action. You have options. Going back to work there tells me that it isn't really harassment...it's just a lousy job. There's a difference.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
 
I suspect that English not being Monique's native language has not made it obvious that the word "harassment" has a very specific legal connotation. She could simply be using the word to mean "to irritate", without legal harassment.
     
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Brantford, ON. Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2010, 09:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
She's in Canada. I don't know how different it is, but it's definitely different in at least a few respects. Give her the benefit of the doubt, why don't you?
It's pretty much what KeyLimePi said, if not more strict regarding workers rights up here in Canada.

And for what it's worth...

I remember her bitching about harassment years ago, whether this is the same job or not, I don't know.

If it is the same job, she hasn't done anything about it in years. If it's not the same job, she needs help about choosing the right employment, and/or do something about the harassment.
     
Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: back home
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
 
This time I am going to fight for myself and all those who cannot do it themselves.

I have with the help of my union rep. placed a grievance about the suspension.

I have not told my last word about the harrassment.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,