Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrading OS X - Help Needed

Upgrading OS X - Help Needed
bigkix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2010, 04:49 PM

Hi!

I just started using Mac recently, 1 week ago. I own PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.3.9 installed.
I'd like to upgrade to 10.4 OS X but i really don't know how. I have a CD with four .dmg files on it of 10.4 OS X. I really don't want to mess something up because I don't have installation CD for 10.3.9, I bought the Mac with it! Any help on how to do this would be much appreciated! Of course, I installed apps so far, but I'm scared of doing this myself for the first time.
I've used Windows until now and I don't know if even the procces of installation is the same: removing old OS, putting on a new one?

EDIT: If I posted anything against the rules of this forum, or in a wrong section, please advise me to do better so I can do it, don't erase my post.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2010, 05:26 PM

That doesn't sound like a "legitimate" copy of 10.4.

10.4 came as a set of 4 CD's or one DVD. It sounds like you have a DVD with images of the 4 CD's.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 3, 2010, 06:01 PM

No real need to remove the old OS before installing the new one. Burn each of the four images to its own individual CD (Disk Utility is great for this), start with the first one, and insert the others when called for.

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
That doesn't sound like a "legitimate" copy of 10.4.

10.4 came as a set of 4 CD's or one DVD. It sounds like you have a DVD with images of the 4 CD's.
Yes, my friend barely made it to burn me he's old retail DVD. It was all scratched. I've asked him for that cause it's safer then some old DVd that might fail in the middle of the upgrading process.

@ Laminar - Thank you very much for your answer! Are the drivers going to be istalled automatically or do I need to do it manually like on MS Win?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2010, 10:03 PM

The printer drivers are an optional install package, everything else is either included, third party or not available afaik.

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2010, 05:39 AM

Thank you all for your help! Wherever I go, Mac users are always so polite and helpful!

p.s. Sorry for putting this new thread in a wrong section.

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2010, 03:58 PM

So, I inserted my disc no.1 of Tiger 10.4.. Installation died on me half through. Computer restared. Now I neither have new OS nor previous one. Also, I can't eject the disc out. When I press power button and it starts I only get the blue screen and nothing no matter how long i wait. HELP ME PLEASE, WHAT TO DO?

At least tell me how to get the disc ejected so I could start again or put my old OS back!

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2010, 04:37 PM

hold down either the mouse button or the spacebar
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
Neither works.

ibook_steve
Mar 4, 2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
...during boot. In other words, restart the machine, holding down the mouse button during the boot process. But you should really get yourself a legitimate copy of the OS install DVD.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2010, 06:55 PM

It doesnt work. I have a copy of an original disc. I get a boot screen, holding mouse button pr spacebar does nothing, then blue screen appears and nothing happens. Should i open it and remove the cd? i have never seen the inside of an laptop though. im afrqid of doing that.

bigkix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2010, 05:22 AM

Please help, I need my laptop working by monday and I'm a begineer in this mac world, don't know what to do

edit: Managed to get the CD out. Could anyone tell me how to install OS now? Have in mind the blue screen...
( Last edited by bigkix; Mar 5, 2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: follow-up)

Forum Links
Forum Rules