Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 195)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...It's fun to see him trash motion gaming and portable gaming. Good thing you guys didn't release Move in the past 6 months and aren't looking to release the NGP in the next 6.
It seemed to me, he was only trashing Nintendo's iterations of portable and motion control gaming, not the practices themselves.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 04:55 PM

To me, he's trashing products and markets that Nintendo dominates and Sony has specifically copied and entered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2011, 05:01 PM

Ugh, playing Minecraft without a keyboard and mouse sounds incredibly tedious.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 05:06 PM

Other than building I think I'd enjoy it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2011, 05:24 PM

Well, keyboard is a moot point, since the game has very little controls, but not using a mouse when you are mining the floor over a lava pit? No thanks.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 05:35 PM

Why use a keyboard an mouse when you got Kinect?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 8, 2011, 05:51 PM

My arm is tired just thinking about it

The Final Dakar
Games Meister

I have an intern for lava mining.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
My arm is tired just thinking about it
Best out of context quote of the day. Month. Year?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2011, 02:04 AM

After all the PS3-smacking, I thought I'd post a (somewhat) positive article:

PS3 might be getting Chrome

Sony’s PlayStation 3 is internet-enabled, but gamers have always been unsatisfied with the rather inadequate browser pre-installed on the console. That might now be changing, with rumours on the internet suggesting Google Chrome could be on its way to the device.

This was first reported on gaming forum NeoGAF, with member androvsky posting about stuff he had stumbled upon on the PS3’s online webkit source. He said, “I'm going through ps3-webkit-support.diff because I'm bored. Looks like we're actually getting Chrome, since Geoff's added a couple of files for ChromeClientPOSIX.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2011, 11:44 AM

Dude... you're reaching so hard. I mean, how often do you use surf the web on your PS3?

...and for hilarity's sake, this has nothing to do with, you know, actual gaming.

---

Source: Anonymous attacks on Sony annoying, not much more
A source at Sony's hosting provider, which handles operations like Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) and Sony Music, tells Ars that the DDoS attacks have been underwhelming. The source characterized them more as an annoyance than an unstoppable force. They "annoyed our network engineers," says the source, but are only of "medium strength."
So this is supposedly unauthorized, but on the back of Sony downplaying the downtimes as maintenance it strikes me a subtle PR campaign to pretend nothing of note has happened.

Everything this guy says may be technically accurate, but the fact remains that i saw pretty frequent reports that PSN was down for a day or two, and the websites for even longer. It may not have been exactly what Anonymous was after, but for the average person I imagine it was plenty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2011, 12:43 PM

...and now the anti-climactic finish

Sony, PS3 hacker George Hotz reach settlement
Over on the official PlayStation Blog, Sony has announced that it has reached a settlement with infamous PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz. The settlement was actually reached back on March 31, and while the terms were not fully disclosed, Sony did say that Hotz agreed to a permanent injunction.

"Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal," Sony's general counsel, Riley Russell, said in a statement.

"It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier," said Hotz. "I'm happy to have the litigation behind me."
Unsurprisingly, this statement reveals, well, nothing. Which is apropos, as the case got an equal amount done.

Edit: Avoiding a Quad post

Move outsells Kinect in Japan 2:1- Destructoid
PlayStation Move is outselling Microsoft's Kinect in Japan, but a considerable amount. Figures put the peripheral at a 2:1 advantage, as the Xbox 360 fails yet again to gain much traction in the birthplace of Sony and Nintendo. Move cleared 170,000 sales, while Kinect pulled in 90,000.
Pretty measly numbers for both (Edit: Maybe not. Is a 10% attach rate for the Move good or bad?). Not trying to kick Sony while it's down, but the PS3 has over 4 times the install base as the 360, meaning right now the kinect's attach rate must be around twice of the PS3s (Assuming my math is right).
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
After all the PS3-smacking, I thought I'd post a (somewhat) positive article:

PS3 might be getting Chrome
That would be sweet. About time they use a real browser. The current one makes me feels like I'm using Netscape.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2011, 03:12 PM

Rumor: MS adding free-to-play games to Xbox Live in 2012 | Joystiq
Rumor: They will suck.

L.A. Noire: Nudity, violence, five hours of cutscenes- Destructoid
The UK's premier videogame rating system, the BBFC, has spilled the beans on L.A. Noire's graphic content, and also revealed an interesting tidbit for those that care about such things -- Rockstar's latest will feature over five hours of cutscenes.

Five hours and twelve minutes, to be exact. With three hours, 25 minutes of what is being called "supplementary gameplay footage."
I'm curious how this compares to GTA IVs cut-scenes (though it was a much longer game), but I'm looking forward to this game regardless.

How publishers punish us for buying new games
I don't want to install the game, or an update

I don't want to input a stack of codes

I don't want to watch an unskippable trailer for your next game

I don't want to make a new account for your online service

I just want to play the damned thing
These are just the section titles. It's a little ranty (rather than an editorial), but worth a skim. From the descriptions on some of the complaints it sounds like an EA game on PS3 would be the worst possible experience ever.

In a related note, I played NFS last night, was greeted with an update (not a big deal, but still), then I had to accept Terms of Service for some damn reason (considering the size of the update, I have a bad feeling that's all it was).

After reading the article, it makes feel like all console gamers are hard core gamers (Well, maybe not the Wii). Because anyone willing to sit through installs, updates, logos, movies, etc. is more hardcore than the chick playing Farmville on Facebook or the dude tapping away at Angry Birds on his iPhone. The appeal of that stuff becomes instantly clear (or rather the lack of appeal to move on to more "in-depth" games).

Someone should make a video on Youtube of someone with a fresh out of the box PS3 and NFS Hot Pursuit and time how long it takes before you can start your first race. I have a feeling it'd be stunning.

Davine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2011, 04:23 PM

360 all the way imo

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 10:35 AM

Rumor: Nintendo dropping Wii price to $150 on May 15th | Joystiq

DRM run amok: how Bioware and EA are screwing users right now
Sometime on Friday morning, Dragon Age:Origins players who booted up the game for a session of single-player dungeon crawling were greeted with a nasty surprise: all of the downloadable content (DLC) that they had purchased for the game had been flagged as "unauthorized," so their saved games wouldn't load. Again, these were vanilla, single-player saved games, representing untold hours of gameplay and investment, that users were suddenly unable to load.

Judging by the accounts that later showed up in Bioware's forums over the weekends, many of these users had the same, fatal response to the "DLC not authorized" error they were getting from the game: they Googled the error message. Googling the error message, instead of going straight to EA's online tech support chat and asking a rep for help, was the first, critical mistake that ruined everyone's weekend (mine included).

If only we had known up-front that the server was the issue.
I don't know if it's the lack of banner games this year, the length of the console cycle or what, but it seems like this is the year gaming journalism took a sharp turn towards criticizing the system.

Hotz lawyer: PS3 hacking case over, DMCA and IP abuse live on
According to the settlement agreement, Hotz will not be "engaging in any unauthorized access to any SONY PRODUCT under the law," nor will he be "engaging in any unauthorized access to any SONY PRODUCT under the terms of any SCEA or SCEA AFFILIATES' license agreement or terms of use applicable to that SONY PRODUCT, whether or not Hotz has accepted such agreement or terms of use."

The terms of the agreement are listed in detail, and they essentially boil down to the fact that Hotz will not work to get around any Sony encryption, nor will he help others do so in any way. What's odd about this wording is that Hotz has agreed not to use the hardware in any unauthorized way, while Sony did not get a chance to prove that the original charges constituted unauthorized use under the DMCA. The terms used in the agreement were under contention during the case, and those issues were never settled in a legal setting. So the question of what a PS3 owner can legally do with the console she legally acquired is still an open one.
While many people are disappointed that the case didn't result in precedent-setting vindication for Hotz, Heidari is sympathetic to the decision to settle. "It's easy for someone to stand on the sidelines and want someone else to spend the next five years fighting for something, but once you're in the fight, and you're being called 24/7 and you can't do anything without facing public scrutiny, and it's having tangible effects on your personal life, I think people think differently about it," he told Ars. "People don't remember that George is only 21, and he's fighting a multibillion dollar corporation. It's a hard fight for anyone, much less a single individual."
One of the things Heidari thought it was important to share was the strong-arm tactics companies like Sony use when they invoke the DMCA: seizing property, subpoenaing personal records from companies such as Google and PayPal, and even utilizing the police to invade people's homes in other countries. "Being forced to defend a lawsuit across the country is a big issue for everyone. My client had no notion he would face a legal battle in California," Heidari said. The issue is that people just click accept on online agreements or click that they agree, and suddenly they're facing legal battles across state lines.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 02:51 PM

LA Noire to feature PS3-exclusive content, 'Consul's Car Traffic Case' | Joystiq
So, speaking of complaining about gaming, I'm tired of this stuff. You need a ****ing chart keep track of what stuff you can get where.

No, seriously:

It seems like it's impossible to get a whole game now. That's pretty irritating. This is the game I'm most interested in this year, and I've basically concluded that pre-ordering it would be the dumbest move possible. I'm better off waiting for the GOTY Edition, where I'm most likely to get all this stuff and whatever additional DLC they add in the future. Not good.

(Man, could you imagine if they did movies this way? "Go to certain theater chains to see scenes not available at other chains!")

Portal 2 being released early? Indie games drop hints
Anybody getting this release day? I now sek is interested but I'm not feeling the level of excitement that says "Get this now."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 03:59 PM

Depends on my finances, but I am indeed super-excited for Portal 2. Might not get it release day, but it's the only game I've been waiting for since last year.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Depends on my finances, but I am indeed super-excited for Portal 2. Might not get it release day, but it's the only game I've been waiting for since last year.
This is where I mention amazon is $5 off with a $20 credit, so decide sooner, rather than later.

I suppose I could buy it and let it sit, it has been a while since I did that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2011, 04:19 PM

Damn you amazoooooooon!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 13, 2011, 04:20 PM

Yes, i realize I'm a dick for posting that.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2011, 04:32 PM

Anybody getting this release day? I now sek is interested but I'm not feeling the level of excitement that says "Get this now."
I didn't play the first one, but, the humor in the trailer of this one is hilarious. If the game has the same humor, I'll buy it. Probably not release day, though.

Oh, and welcome back to the real world, guys. Thought we'd lost you guys to Minecraft.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2011, 01:48 AM

It seems like it's impossible to get a whole game now. That's pretty irritating. This is the game I'm most interested in this year, and I've basically concluded that pre-ordering it would be the dumbest move possible. I'm better off waiting for the GOTY Edition, where I'm most likely to get all this stuff and whatever additional DLC they add in the future. Not good.

(Man, could you imagine if they did movies this way? "Go to certain theater chains to see scenes not available at other chains!")
You know, I've been thinking about this for awhile myself and it's certainly becoming more of the norm. With each retail chain getting their own exclusive content, it all boils down to the almighty dollar as always. The retail chain pays the publisher a certain dollar amount for a piece of exclusive content hoping to lure more customers in buying from them. It's really sad and like you said Dakar, it's impossible to get the entire game now.

LOL, I can see different movie theater chains showing alternate endings to movies.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You know, I've been thinking about this for awhile myself and it's certainly becoming more of the norm. With each retail chain getting their own exclusive content, it all boils down to the almighty dollar as always. The retail chain pays the publisher a certain dollar amount for a piece of exclusive content hoping to lure more customers in buying from them. It's really sad and like you said Dakar, it's impossible to get the entire game now.

LOL, I can see different movie theater chains showing alternate endings to movies.
I'm not a big proponent of piracy, and I'm not against post-game DLC, but I have to admit that if there were cracks to access all the content that's on the ****ing disc I'd use it with a clear conscience.

The best part is on a shorter game like this, all these exclusive missions make up something like 10% of the game that been chopped up and parceled out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2011, 10:45 AM

More details on Burnout Crash surface- Destructoid
Australia's Classification Board had previously outed Burnout Crash as a multiplatform title that's on the way. Upon being nudged by Joystiq to provide further insight, the following synopsis was given by the board.

"An action arcade style game set in the fictional world of Crash City. The aim of the game is to cause as much damage as possible to traffic and buildings by crashing a car into them."
Sounds like an XBLA title, which would make way more sense from a resource and development time POV.

Activision claims Guitar Hero only 'on hiatus,' gets new DLC | Joystiq
"Actually, just to clarify, we're just putting Guitar Hero on hiatus, we're not ending it," Winters explained. "We're releasing products out of the vault - we'll continue to sustain the channel, the brand won't go away. We're just not making a new one for next year, that's all."
Oh. Ohhhhhhhh. That's why you guys killed the studio that creates the game and content. And the DLC. And brought it back.

That's some fantastic acumen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2011, 04:09 PM

Huge breaking news

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ole-at-e3.aspx
Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions.
I believe this. Why? A pre-E3 price-drop for the Wii makes more sense when an E3 announcement of a successor is likely to stomach-punch sales.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.
"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may imply about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.
First, I love that the anonymous source refers to the Wii as a gimmick. Just brutal. Second: Hope.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2011, 05:14 PM

Here's what it needs to not be a joke.

Real internal storage, and before Hawkeye comes in here to tout his love of memory cards, let it be known I'd be happy with solid state memory as long as it is 16GB or bigger. My buddy is in the process of cleaning out his tiny 512mb storage just so he can download a new Virtual Console game. When I think about the 16+ GBs I've got on my Xbox, it makes the Wii's bundled storage even more of a goddamn joke.

How about sparing the 20 cents it takes to include an ethernet port, just for those people who don't have a wireless router?

How about having it be able to play DVDs, you know, that tech that's 20 years old at this point. While you're at it, make it be able to function as a media center too.

Include an IR port, so it can be controlled with a Harmony remote.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2011, 05:30 PM

Assuming they're actually interested in regaining 3rd party support, they need to include a classic type controller, and they need to bite the bullet and go to an advanced storage format (blu-ray). Agreed on the internal storage and ethernet port.

I don't think the media center thing is important, mostly because I don't think this thing will end up being a media hub in most people's homes. The GC generation weened me off relying on them. I'll likely always consider them secondary in that regard and gaming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2011, 05:45 PM

NeoGAF has a been a great read on this. I's mostly industry types and hardcore gamers, but it includes lovers of all systems, and the overwhleming reaction has been joy at a chance for HD Nintendo.

Here's a link to an HD screengrab of Wind Waker. Apparently the Dolphin emulator does amazing upscaling. Would you want to play this? I would (And I hated that games art style).
http://i.imgur.com/ExKI1.jpg

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 10:11 AM

I'm wondering if no one really cares about Nintendo anymore, no one cares about rumors, no one reads this thread, or there's no one in this forum anymore. This is big news, isn't it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 11:07 AM

" What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen.

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it.".
Heh, are these guys about to backtrack on years of talking up being cheap and profit margins? Because there is no way that kind of technology will be inexpensive.

I think this is the point where I think back to 2005 and recall that early console rumors include a lot of crazy shit that never materializes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 12:12 PM

Damn you amazoooooooon!
I pre-ordered. I will want to play this, and the idea of $5 off plus $20 back was too good when combined with the $15 I was getting back from Homefront bonuses.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2011, 02:34 PM

I pre-ordered as well. Time to sell Homefront I guess...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 02:37 PM

Homefront – the game that killed my will to play XBOX and FPSs in general (I still like the actual gameplay, though).

Hilariously, as far as I know they still haven't released the fix to party matchmaking (but I haven't been following closely).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2011, 02:37 PM

Next time I turn on my 360 spiders are going to fly out the back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 02:46 PM

That'll probably make it red ring.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 03:05 PM

I'm wondering if no one really cares about Nintendo anymore, no one cares about rumors, no one reads this thread, or there's no one in this forum anymore. This is big news, isn't it?
It's all rumors and speculation to this point. What news is there?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
It's all rumors and speculation to this point. What news is there?
The release date seems pretty concrete. Which is pretty interesting, after a winter of "Oh hey, look how this console cycle is actually going towards the 10 year cycle."

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2011, 03:13 PM

Let me know when there are pictures, till then I remain uninterested.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2011, 05:50 PM

I pre-ordered as well. Time to sell Homefront I guess...
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Homefront – the game that killed my will to play XBOX and FPSs in general (I still like the actual gameplay, though).
Yeah, **** you guys for making me buy that game. Halo Reach multiplayer is ok playing without friends but I'll be damned to play Homefront by myself.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2011, 05:54 PM

Oh BTW, i have Portal 2 on pre-order through Amazon as well.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2011, 09:06 PM

Me too. That $20 credit is pretty nice.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2011, 09:08 PM

Heh, are these guys about to backtrack on years of talking up being cheap and profit margins? Because there is no way that kind of technology will be inexpensive.

I think this is the point where I think back to 2005 and recall that early console rumors include a lot of crazy shit that never materializes.
I dunno, I think with the popularity of iPhone and Android phones, we'll probably see touchscreen based controllers on the next round of consoles. I just hope other people incorporate Kinect-like features. A combination of an iPhone-like controller (but with real buttons too) and motion-based control could be very interesting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I remain uninterested.
Just like the other 99.9% of the time.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, **** you guys for making me buy that game. Halo Reach multiplayer is ok playing without friends but I'll be damned to play Homefront by myself.
Don't blame us, blame the assholes who shipped a game with non-functioning matchmaking. And you owe us for Reach, which no one liked but you and Leonard.

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I dunno, I think with the popularity of iPhone and Android phones, we'll probably see touchscreen based controllers on the next round of consoles. I just hope other people incorporate Kinect-like features. A combination of an iPhone-like controller (but with real buttons too) and motion-based control could be very interesting.
No, it's out of control, either on the back of some leaked prototype info or some speculated possibility. From the sounds of things, they want to do this:

Only they want to basically do it using a WaveBird and and an iPod Touch fused together.

Logically, think about how much that would cost as a standalone piece of electronics and you're telling me this is a viable controller? These "controllers" would cost as much as a Wii. And it doesn't consider the motion control aspect that Nintendo will obviously carry over. If this exists, it's either going be the bulk of the actual system (a semi-handheld?), or very optional.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2011, 03:08 PM

Representing the PS3 side of things yet again...

Uncharted 3 multiplayer preview: Some shirts look good in pink

It seems like Uncharted 3's multiplayer system is going to be taking ideas from Uncharted 2, Battlefield, CoD, Killzone 2/3, and Homefront. As I've mentioned 1000x, the multiplayer in Uncharted 2 was underestimated by nearly everyone. It's as fun of an experience as I've found. I could probably compare it to Gears of War's cover-heavy, third-person system with brighter maps (and loads of variety).

For one, characters are now fully customizable. Though you're still choosing from a basic hero or villain model, there are all sorts of clothes and accessories to equip, and colors can be set piece-by-piece to make a look that's truly yours. Weapons can be customized, not just cosmetically, but there are mods to add on as well, for things like faster reloading, more ammo, or "Callout," which "spots" shot enemies for other players to see (Battlefield-ish). Emblems have more options than ever, and they show up all over the place, even posted in the levels themselves.
Elsewhere in the metagame, defeated players now drop treasures that can be collected for items and cash, and there are all sorts of new boosters -- some that can be bought right in the middle of a match to provide extra bonuses. Boosters also level up for more abilities, and there's a new feature called "Medal Kickbacks": Earning a certain amount of medals in a match gives you one-shot bonuses, like an RPG to wield or an instant respawn out of trouble (Homefront-ish). New types of missions are available as well, including "instant missions" (that give you a quick target to chase in, for example, the next 15 minutes) and friend missions that you can tackle with others (Killzone-ish).
The two-player teams also make use of a new element called the Buddy System that Naughty Dog said is designed to build more tactical gameplay into the multiplayer. In team matches each player gets a buddy -- players can spawn on that buddy and see him or her on the map at all times. Working together earns extra cash, and in certain circumstances, players can even high five each other, which also grants an extra reward. Like Battlefield: Bad Company 2's Squad system, the mechanic gives a little more meaning to one of your teammates.
They're also taking Uncharted's trademark cinematic feel from the singleplayer and interjecting it into MP.

Another big emphasis this time around is trying to bring the cinematic feel of the single-player game into the multiplayer matches. The two maps we played on, Chateau and Airstrip, each changed throughout. On Airstrip, the match actually starts in the hold of a cargo plane in mid-takeoff surrounded by moving trucks, and players could jump from truck to truck while trying to take out the other team. Chateau was based on the single-player level we've seen -- as the French mansion burned, walls in the map fell apart and opened up. Naughty Dog is trying to "make sure these events not only look cool, but actually change the state of the level," said Cogburn.
I'm hearing rumors of YouTube (yes!) and Facebook (meh) integration.
(EDIT) - Scratch that, confirmed in an earlier article: Uncharted 3 features Uncharted TV, heavy Facebook and YouTube integration

In short, I believe this is the greatest franchise of the current generation (quality-wise), and it will certainly dominate my 2011 holidays and beyond.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2011, 03:11 PM

...pssst.

Don't want to have this thread locked, but I'll pull this car over if you kids don't quiet down!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2011, 05:29 PM

Don't blame us, blame the assholes who shipped a game with non-functioning matchmaking.
Matchmaking has been working fine this past week or so. I blame Minecraft more than the sub-par matchmaking.

And you owe us for Reach
I'll admit, I owe Fatty for Reach. Bogues and I were begging him to buy it. However, I remember you picking up Reach because Saint, Euthyphro and Subie were getting it. So I don't owe you shit.

which no one liked but you and Leonard.
You forgot KCros and Bogues. It sucks because once they 100% that game, they moved on. Those two are the biggest achievement whores on this board but I still had a lot of fun playing with them in matchmaking.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
In short, I believe this is the greatest franchise of the current generation (quality-wise), and it will certainly dominate my 2011 holidays and beyond.
Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you there. I highly doubt it will dominate over Gears 3 and Modern Warfare 3 this holiday season.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2011, 05:36 PM

...pssst.

Don't want to have this thread locked, but I'll pull this car over if you kids don't quiet down!
This thread is like Celine Dion. It will go on and we'll never let go.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2011, 05:55 PM

Matchmaking has been working fine this past week or so. I blame Minecraft more than the sub-par matchmaking.
You've got your cause and effect muddled up. I've never been more turned off by a game, mostly thanks to the effect it had on my friends.

I'll admit, I owe Fatty for Reach. Bogues and I were begging him to buy it. However, I remember you picking up Reach because Saint, Euthyphro and Subie were getting it. So I don't owe you shit.
...and I don't owe you shit because I didn't telly ou to buy the game. Quite the opposite, actually.

You forgot KCros and Bogues. It sucks because once they 100% that game, they moved on.
That's exactly why they don't count.

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you there. I highly doubt it will dominate over Gears 3 and Modern Warfare 3 this holiday season.
Reading comprehension. "My"

This thread is like Celine Dion. It will go on and we'll never let go.
Bullshit. Considering the amount of double and triple posts I used to get in here doing the news its only a matter of time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules