Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail Intermittently Asks for AOL Password Over and Over Again

Apple Mail Intermittently Asks for AOL Password Over and Over Again
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2011, 01:10 AM

I have AOL service and use Apple Mail. I have a desktop at home, work and a MBP. All work fine but from time to time one of them asks for a password for Mail. A dialog box appears. It may not happen for several days. Or one or two computers ask for the pwrd the same day. Any thoughts. When it asks, the password box is blank in the Mail pref panel. If I enter the pswd Mail may or may not accept it. I tried taking the Mail Offline then back Online but no joy. It is a random event, No Firewall, just Airport connection to either a DSL line at my office or to FIOS cable at home.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 01:46 AM

This problem seems to happen occasionally on about every mail client I've used. You could try switching to a different client like Thunderbird, but it may just be a server-side problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 01:47 AM

Does it do this with a different email client?

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2011, 07:51 AM

I also have an account with Apple's me.com. It Very rarely does this, maybe once a month. But the AOL side does this daily. I can have my MBP next to my desktop, both on to mail and only one has this problem, the other is fine. Then later that day or tomorrow, both are bad or just the desktop.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 09:52 AM

It happens to me with both, a gmail account and the AOL account, not on a daily basis though.

You can always give AOL Desktop app a try. I know, I know… but hey, it finally got a new icon !!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 11:21 AM

I think this is due to mail.app not being specific enough with errors. If the mail server is in any way tardy with a reply to the username password, rather than saying that the server has not responded mail assumes that the password was incorrect.

Once the mail servers response time picks up again mail is happy.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 12:31 PM

You'll find that mail often returns errors like this without appearing to actually try to send or receive anything. When it does this, I try to change something in the account settings, quit, relaunch, change it back relaunch and then test. It just seems to need a kick up the ass every so often. That said I very rarely get this problem any more. It was bordering on pandemic once upon a time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 04:50 PM

I had this with my hotmail account, turns out turning the check from 5min to 10min fixed it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I had this with my hotmail account, turns out turning the check from 5min to 10min fixed it.

This is a good suggestion. AOL might be rejecting some of the connection attempts because OS X Mail and iOS devices initiate connections like a petulant child, against spec.

ralphdaily
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2011, 06:05 PM

@aolmail tweeted the following this morning "You may be unable to log into your AOL Mail account right now. We're hard at work on resolving this!" If you use twitter, I'd recommend following @aolmail.

Normally this problem (mail.app and other third party mail apps repeatedly asking for password) is AOL side. It can apply to some users but not others. I rarely have the problem, although I did today, my wife has it more frequently. In the old days AOL mail was very reliable, now, not so much. I guess it's AOL's money problems and frequent reorganizations taking a toll. I would go somewhere else but hate to change the email address I've had for many years.

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 12, 2011, 06:24 PM

I have the same issue with Comcast mail. It frequently asks that I reenter my Comcast mail password. I thought something was wrong my Keys file, because it always happens when I restart the computer. It happens infrequently otherwise. But I agree it is probably a network issue with your mail host.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 06:27 PM

Basically, OS X Mail's error messages should not be taken at face value... Possible causes:

- clock skew
- lack of network connectivity
- connection refusal due to too many attempts

moshu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2011, 07:57 PM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Hum, I don't have the 10min option but 15min.

aehaas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2011, 04:03 PM

I tried the solution of changing the "check mail" interval from 5 to 15 minutes on one computer.
On another computer I changed only the Keychain from "limited to" to "all applications" as suggested by moshu's reference.
On a third computer I did both. I have no control with no changes. This is bad because I have not had the issue (thus far). Do each of these two solutions work by themselves or did AOL fix something??

aehaas

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 04:10 PM

I maintain that sometimes changing something seems to force it to save settings properly and hence fixes the issue.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules