Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > i have a BIG problem

i have a BIG problem
vault86
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 31, 2002, 10:27 PM

on OSX, i got it from a friend of mine, but he didn't tell me the login password, and some idiot logged out when i told him not to, so, how can i get back on-i have no other OSs, and i need help
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2002, 10:30 PM

if you have the cd, stick it in and hold down 'c', and when it starts up, look in the menu for the 'reset admin password' option. If you don't the cd, you're **** outta luck.

vault86  (op)
Forum Regular
Location: Vermont(the biggest and most interesting state in the country)
Oct 31, 2002, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Fallout:
if you have the cd, stick it in and hold down 'c', and when it starts up, look in the menu for the 'reset admin password' option. If you don't the cd, you're **** outta luck.
can i use an older boot cd, like 8.0, or 9?
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 11:06 PM

Have you tried restarting the machine? It might be set to log in automatically (otherwise, how did you get into it in the first place?).

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2002, 11:07 PM

Let me get this straight... you have OSX but no CD? You need to get a CD. You and your friend pirated the OSX and that is a form of stealing. Go buy it.... hurry!!!!!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2002, 11:40 PM

Restart holding Cmd-S.

Type the following at the command prompt (note: you don't type "#" because it represents the prompt itself):

# /sbin/mount -wu /
# /sbin/SystemStarter
# /usr/bin/passwd <username>

... where <username> is the short name of the account you're trying to reset the password of. Then just enter the new password. Then type:

# exit

That should make the computer start up normally. Use the new password you just set to log into the account.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2002, 11:42 PM

Ive always had problems paying for 1's and 0's... i dunno... I shelled out 5 grand for a laptop...free updates for life methinks..

Im a theif, sue me.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2002, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Telusman:
Ive always had problems paying for 1's and 0's... i dunno... I shelled out 5 grand for a laptop...free updates for life methinks..

Im a theif, sue me.
Yeah, that's cool. Those of us who did shell out for it are happy to subsidize those of you who think you're exempt.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 1, 2002, 03:30 AM

Im a theif, sue me.
Well your low set of morals dont really stand up to written law now do they.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 04:25 AM

Im a theif, sue me.

Methinks you are a cheapskate.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 04:40 AM

Are you a switcher by chance?

How can you justify spending $5,000 on a computer that will be a paperweight in 2 years (or sooner) but can't save up $129 bucks to use the OS legally. That seems weird to me. the other thing that is weird to me is that someone will spend a couple thousand dollars for ground effects or neon lights or a big stupid spoiler(none of which add value to his vehicle) for his civic, but thinks Macs are too expensive.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2002, 07:48 AM

People are just no damn good.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2002, 09:03 AM

Seems you do have a big problem...

-Owl

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2002, 10:31 AM

It's funny that people in this forum don't seem to mind if you pirate MS Office, but when it comes to anything Apple, they freak out... That being said, I pirated Photoshop because I didn't have the $700... but I need it... (but I just ordered it from Adobe, so I don't feel as bad now...)

Anyway, yah, if you pirated, you are SOL... And worst of all, you can't even do a clean install... unless you burned the install disks to CD-R...

I'm not sure if you can jump into OS 9 now...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2002, 10:40 AM

Sorry dude; you need the CD.

How is it that you don't know the password, anyway? If you'd pirated the software, I would assume you had been the one to install it. Did you buy this laptop from your friend with no CD's, and your friend didn't bother changing the login password or something?

For that matter, have you tried logging in with no password at all? It's possible your friend didn't set one.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules