Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A Few (most likely simple) OSX newbie questions...

A Few (most likely simple) OSX newbie questions...
dcc777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 10:00 PM

Hello!

week 2 of learning OSX has come and gone, and i am feeling much more comfortable with it. i do have a few questions that i am hoping can be easily explained -

1)i put a shortcut to my applications folder next to my trashcan in the dock. i have seen people with a home folder there as well. how do i go about doing that?

2)how can i change individual icons for things? i have candybar and that lets me change the general icons. will registering it give me more access to things?

3)is there a time machine available so that i can go back a year and not bother buying a new pc?

any help appreciated

dcc

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 10:09 PM

1) Just drag your home folder there. It should be in the Users folder.

2) Select the source folder/icon/whatever, and choose Get Info from the File menu (or press Command-i). Click on the little icon in the top left of the Info window, and choose Copy from the Edit menu (Command-C). Then, select the destination folder, Get Info, click on the icon in the top left, and Paste the new in the same place (Paste from the Edit menu or Command-V).

3) There's a famous book on the subject. Beware the morlocks!

dcc777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 10:40 PM

thanks a bunch! i love being able to customize things so easily. rather addictive

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by dcc777:
thanks a bunch! i love being able to customize things so easily. rather addictive
Yeah, cool huh. Welcome to the Mac community.

dcc777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 07:58 AM

thanks

i initially bought my ibook thinking i would use it for basic stuff (web browsing, mail, etc) but now that ive played with it, i really do wish i could fins someone to buy my pc setup so i could just use my new baby

who would have thunk it, me and a mac....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 09:06 AM

Take it from me, NOBODY wants to buy a used PC. And the people that do only want to pay $75.

A Mac on the other hand will almost always be valuable. I still see beige G3s going for a few hundred dollars (and I'm talking about the 5+ year old systems)

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 09:08 AM

thanks

i initially bought my ibook thinking i would use it for basic stuff (web browsing, mail, etc) but now that ive played with it, i really do wish i could fins someone to buy my pc setup so i could just use my new baby

who would have thunk it, me and a mac....
Hint: ebay, hint. Also, newspaper classifieds...

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 09:31 AM

3)is there a time machine available so that i can go back a year and not bother buying a new pc?
Roumor has it that Apple is working on iTardis for just this situation
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 07:51 PM

Yeah, there's a whole forum here about customization. It's definitely one of the Mac's strong points. Search around for a thread where people post screenshots of their Macs, and you'll see that everyone's is very different in terms of Desktop Picture, Dock location and size, icons, themes, etc. Have a look at the following sites to see some of the great GUI stuff available for the Mac:
www.xicons.com
www.iconfactory.com
www.macdesktops.com
www.resexcellence.com

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:

2) Select the source folder/icon/whatever, and choose Get Info from the File menu (or press Command-i). Click on the little icon in the top left of the Info window, and choose Copy from the Edit menu (Command-C). Then, select the destination folder, Get Info, click on the icon in the top left, and Paste the new in the same place (Paste from the Edit menu or Command-V).

I did that to change some icons. Then I found better icons for the applications I had changed already and when I tried, then I couldn't change them. It seems like the applications only accept icon change once.
What can I do to change them?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 10:19 AM

designbc, I noticed that too one time and I think I just duplicated the file or made an alias and copied that icon, still wondering what the issue was.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by designbc:
I did that to change some icons. Then I found better icons for the applications I had changed already and when I tried, then I couldn't change them. It seems like the applications only accept icon change once.
What can I do to change them?
If an icon is 'stuck', you can try:
1. Select the target icon and hit 'delete'. It will revert to a generic icon. Then paste the new icon.
2. Sometimes the change will take effect, but the view won't reflect the change. Paste the icon, then log out and back in.
3. If desperate, copy the target app or folder, and apply the icon to the new version. THen delete the old, etc.

Terri
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 12:21 PM

Isn't the icon thing a known bug?

dcc777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Take it from me, NOBODY wants to buy a used PC. And the people that do only want to pay $75.
its true. its a nice machine, really. so i will keep it to leech and such i could probably get a bit for my nice 22" NEC monitor, but ill keep that for the moment as well

loving the ibbok completely though.

dc

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2003, 04:52 PM

You could replace most app's icon by replacing the default app.icns (inside App's Package Contents with a icon of your choice (it have to be in .icns format first)

This applied to all cocoa and few carbon apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules