Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So what the heck are ya gonna do about it?

So what the heck are ya gonna do about it?
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 04:14 PM

I've been reading a couple other threads about How apple has screwed over users with 10.0, and how they shouldn't be charging for 10.1, and how this is terrible, and that's horrible etc. etc.

What I want to know is, with all these people up in arms. What have (they) you done about it?
How many people have reported Apple to the Better Business Bureau? How many of you have even written a complaint to Apple?
Or are you just full of hot air?

I know some of you people are just blowing off steam, which is better than doing something drastic. So I guess the question is, How many of you are serious, and to what extent will you go?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2001, 04:26 PM

I wrote Apple about it twice.

I am also not going to pay for the 3rd time for OSX. If that means that I have to find it on hotline and pirate it then so be it.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

timster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2001, 04:34 PM

Nobody forced u to pay for the beta, or the first release.

If you paid for the public beta (which I highly doubt you did) - you'd have gotten a $30 off coupon for the release, which basically made the public beta free.

And you could copy the update from someone, apple won't care, because its free. Ure just paying 20 bucks for them to ship you fresh, pretty CDs in a pretty box.

So basically, you really only paid $129 for OSX, didcha?

I'm sure that even if Apple went all out and delivered OSX 10.1 update on a silver platter with an accompanying team of crackshot tech staff to install it on every one's mac, some people here would still complain. Because they dont know how to do anything constructive.

-tim

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 04:40 PM

I'm just going to grab the CD from work and install it at home. I'm not going to pay for hardware support that Apple promised when they shipped the OS.

<Mac The Fork>
Sep 10, 2001, 04:41 PM

I wouldn't complain to the BBB, since I haven't bought OS X (or pirated it). I was seriously considering switching back to the Mac when I started hearing great things about 10.1.

I'd rather use a good Mac OS than a good Windows, so I think I'll send a few well-written complaints and possible workarounds to Apple; likely on Wednesday. We'll see what happens then.

Will that spare me from a rude use of 'rolleyes'?

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by timster:
<STRONG>Nobody forced u to pay for the beta, or the first release.

If you paid for the public beta (which I highly doubt you did) - you'd have gotten a $30 off coupon for the release, which basically made the public beta free. </STRONG>
WRONG! I did pay for the beta which cost what, $50? And then I had to pay $30 for the shipping to Canada as the Canada Apple store got the orders for the CD's from the US.

Then I had to buy 10.0 which was $195 CAN plus $30 shipping. And yes I did use the coupon which did not make anything free but the second shipping.

So far we are up to $280.

Now Apple wants me to pay another $20 US. which is around $32 CAN so I can finally use this damn OS for something other then showing off to my friends how neat it looks.

Then we have 15% sales tax.

Total cost for the OSX 10.1:
$350

Ya, I am just wanting to send them that last bit of money for 10.1.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Vader's Robotic Stump ]

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>I'm just going to grab the CD from work and install it at home. I'm not going to pay for hardware support that Apple promised when they shipped the OS.</STRONG>
I presume you're talking about your Rage Pro, which is even supported by Open Firmware (which provides a framebuffer), and it appears to be supported here. It's just not ACCELERATED. Apple never promised that it would be, although I did ask a clueless Apple rep at the 10.0 launch who said that it would have OpenGL drivers and stuff, so I guess I could sue him for false advertising

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2001, 06:00 PM

What I want to know is, with all these people up in arms. What have (they) you done about it?
i've wiped my arse with steve jobs' toothbrush and pissed in his icecube tray.
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2001, 06:45 PM

Coming from a person who has previously advocated downloading/installing interim builds of OS X for paid customers...

I think it's quite upsetting when people on this board, who quite obviously are using and "enjoying" Mac OS X 10.0.4 (including moderators) are extremely quick to bitch and complain about Apple charging for upgrades.

For starters, you are not entitled to anything from Apple. Many many developers have been working very hard for the past several months to bring you folks exactly the type of OS that you'd like to use. These are improvements that we, the users, have asked for - and now it seems a good number of the requests will be fulfilled. This is the work of some hard-working developers. I am indebted to them!

I've been using this OS since Rhapsody DR1 on my 8500, and have been running it 24/7 since the public beta. Since '98, it's been progressing.

What you seem to be saying is that even though you chose to use the OS in its (by your standards) "crippled" state, that any and all enhancements are yours for the taking, by whatever means. Nonetheless, there are people who are working their asses off as Apple to keep you from bitching all the time. Do they get paid? Yes. How? By you paying for their efforts.

I will undoubtedly download the final 10.1 from some obscure, clandestine place, and shortly beforehand send Apple my 20 bucks or whatnot for a hard, official copy of their product. I did this with 10.0 back in March, and with the Public Beta back in October.

I'm not paying Apple for shipping me their wares... I am paying them out of appreciation for the quality work upon which they are continually improving.

Do I have complaints? Yes. Do I hope they will be considered? Yes. Do I completely freak out and steal their work because they do not? No. So many times I have been concerned when "this or that feature" is not included, but then it's replaced by something else comparable, which is suitable.

I just wish you guys could appreciate what you have - the work of many many dedicated people working really hard to make the best OS that they can - and at the fastest pace that is possible.

-uD

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2001, 06:50 PM

Thats a lot of cash to be spent $350 but that's not the same as me..

�30 for beta
�60 for final minus 30 = �30
�15 for 10.1..

All from Apple Edu Store as I am a student so thats �75 total and Windows is twice that... Also you can legally if its a free upgrade use someone elses copy as long as you have 10.0...

So I think personally @ least no problem but I do feel sorry for your $350 spent....

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2001, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Vader's Robotic Stump:
<STRONG>

WRONG! I did pay for the beta which cost what, $50? And then I had to pay $30 for the shipping to Canada as the Canada Apple store got the orders for the CD's from the US.

Then I had to buy 10.0 which was $195 CAN plus $30 shipping. And yes I did use the coupon which did not make anything free but the second shipping.

So far we are up to $280.

Now Apple wants me to pay another $20 US. which is around $32 CAN so I can finally use this damn OS for something other then showing off to my friends how neat it looks.

Then we have 15% sales tax.

Total cost for the OSX 10.1:
$350

Ya, I am just wanting to send them that last bit of money for 10.1.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: Vader's Robotic Stump ]</STRONG>
As you pointed out though, that's in Canadian dollars. I may be mistaken, but that's not the same as $350 US dollars. I do see your point, I even share it to a certain extent, but everyone knows that you don't buy a .0 version of any OS unless your a risk taker and are aware that you're going to be upgrading as soon as possible. Perhaps you should have just waited for .1 to begin with.

Workers Comp Wampa
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2001, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by zythemac:
<STRONG>

As you pointed out though, that's in Canadian dollars. I may be mistaken, but that's not the same as $350 US dollars. I do see your point, I even share it to a certain extent, but everyone knows that you don't buy a .0 version of any OS unless your a risk taker and are aware that you're going to be upgrading as soon as possible. Perhaps you should have just waited for .1 to begin with.</STRONG>
It works out to about $225.00 US. I bought a 1.0 OS because I was trying to support Apple, this is how they thank me. MORE MORE MORE.

"Braaaaaaaawwww!"

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>

I presume you're talking about your Rage Pro, which is even supported by Open Firmware (which provides a framebuffer), and it appears to be supported here. It's just not ACCELERATED. Apple never promised that it would be, although I did ask a clueless Apple rep at the 10.0 launch who said that it would have OpenGL drivers and stuff, so I guess I could sue him for false advertising </STRONG>
As I posted in another thread. If Apple shipped Rage 128, Radeon, GF2 and 3 drivers the same quality as my Rage Pro driver you all would scream at top of your lungs. I mean, after all, the basic driver would mean "supported" right?

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>...

I think it's quite upsetting when people on this board, who quite obviously are using and "enjoying" Mac OS X 10.0.4 (including moderators) are extremely quick to bitch and complain about Apple charging for upgrades.
</STRONG>
10.1 is not an upgrade. It's the fulfilment of a promised update! I'll pay for a 0.5 upgrade. I wont pay for a 0.1 update that Apple promised when they shipped the substandard software known as OS X.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2001, 11:49 PM

Amen, Scott.

It's a losing battle trying to show these folks that Apple lied when they released OSX. Oh well, I reckon Apple might learn something from this...

how about: out of desperation, Mac users will pay for hardware support they should already have. Mark my words, there will be a $20 'update' every few months.

Maybe by late next year, OSX will be where it should have been 6 months ago. Which gives Microsoft another year to improve XP
*empty space*

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 12:02 AM

Cost of new ram: tack on an extra 50 bucks. Unusable printer that cost 330 bucks. unusable modem, i dunno shoot low with 50. unusable scanner, 99 bucks. Unusable DVD function on built in DVD Rom ehhhh 30 bucks (again, low)

50 + 330 + 50 + 99 +30+ 130= $689.00 USD.

If you want to be a stickler....

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: godzookie2k ]

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 12:12 AM

$689 ??

damn, that's twice as much as I spent on this 1430MHz Athlon with DVD, CDRW, and everything else. hmm. All my stuff seems to be supported, too, fancy that.

nah, you really can't count peripherals. and the RAM is iffy, too.

I'll agree with DVD and modem. Since those are Apple products they should have already been supported.
*empty space*

<jbessey>
Sep 11, 2001, 12:29 AM

So, I guess people are going to start this argument up again, even though it's already active in MULTIPLE other threads. Check out this thread or perhaps this one. Or this one. And don't argue about how the forums are too slow to search. These threads are all near the top. Read that first link for my feelings on this whole thing. I'm tired of repeating myself.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 12:34 AM

LOL, I was just being facetious (sp?)

nick

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 12:46 AM

I hope I speak for a couple of people out there when I say:

I really don't give two shakes of a rat's arse.

Pay, no pay, download, CD, whatever.

I'll just get my official copy from Apple the easiest way possible, because I like my Mac to be up to snuff for the latest fads and trends, and move on.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

SirCastor  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2001, 02:44 AM

man, this is exactly why I started this thread. I want to know what people have done.

If you people are so upset at being screwed out of money by Apple Computer, whether direct or indirect, why haven't you filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 04:49 AM

why haven't you filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

Tried to.

Apple is not a member of the Better Business Bureau.

There's nothing they can do.

I'm open to other suggestions, tho.
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules