Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > My First Theme

My First Theme (Page 8)
tiredraven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 05:11 PM

First off, thank you for releasing a public beta. I've been using it for the past 20 minutes or so, and so far it is very nice. You've done some excellent work and you should be proud of it.

acronym16
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 05:34 PM

Finally the general public gets to see this! It's a great great theme, thanks for releasing it, it's been a big couple of weeks for themes

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 05:36 PM

Needs�

app
skins.

brn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 05:37 PM

It's gonna take a while for my eyes to get used to this instead of SIRO. But it'll be all worth it. Cathode is bloody brilliant. I looove the Safari skin, the only thing I don't love are the icons, they don't feel as gorgeus as the rest of the theme. I also think you should release the modded Aqua-desktops Dragun, unless Apple don't want you to. Finally I think the Apple icon should be redone, the clicked state is gorgeous but the normal state is a bit boring. Does anyone know any other good icons I can use with this?

Bloody brilliant.

Butterfly Reality Network� loves SIRO.

C o r p
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 05:48 PM

THANK YOU!!

... sorry siMac, but this is replacing Unity

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2004, 05:51 PM

Anyone know if this theme will play nice with mail.app? It seems to have all the icons for it, but the text in the message list is impossible to read.

-Mark

FB Eye
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 06:08 PM

Anyone seen the tab-animations in Safari?

They are friggin' I-N-S-A-N-E!!!

acronym16
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2004, 06:14 PM

I'm going to be ohnest, I prefered beta 5, or was it beta 4, I cannot remember, seems to be to light lol

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Needs�

app
skins.
You know, Im sure that dragun would appreciate it if you could make app skins for him. If you want them so much, go make them yourself you lazy bum. Dragun said he was burned out from this, dont push him. Jeez, some people are so spoiled...

You know, it wasnt too long ago that no one had apps skins that could be applied with SS. Either you had to replace the resources yourself or you could get SafariSkin to do it for you. However, that was only one app. Not the crazy amounts that one gets these days.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
You know, Im sure that dragun would appreciate it if you could make app skins for him. If you want them so much, go make them yourself you lazy bum. Dragun said he was burned out from this, dont push him. Jeez, some people are so spoiled...

You know, it wasnt too long ago that no one had apps skins that could be applied with SS. Either you had to replace the resources yourself or you could get SafariSkin to do it for you. However, that was only one app. Not the crazy amounts that one gets these days.
Bum?
I don't have the resources to do that. I don't have the images for all the buttons required, and a hackjob would look terrible.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 08:17 PM

-
( Last edited by demograph68; Dec 17, 2004 at 02:44 PM. )

iamnotmad
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 08:19 PM

beautiful! Same dark theme issues in Mail.app, but I may be living with that since the rest of the theme is so nice. Thanks for releasing the beta, i hope you can take the time soon to finish it up!!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 08:40 PM

Bum?
I don't have the resources to do that. I don't have the images for all the buttons required, and a hackjob would look terrible.
Might want to ask him for the buttons. I dont see why he woudlnt let you try making an iTunes skin (I assume thats the skin youre talking about) for it. Seriously man, he already addressed the issue of appskins, you dont have to groan about it.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Might want to ask him for the buttons. I dont see why he woudlnt let you try making an iTunes skin (I assume thats the skin youre talking about) for it. Seriously man, he already addressed the issue of appskins, you dont have to groan about it.
I know he did. I'm the one who talked to him. But there are far more experienced people here who know their way around TP.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2004, 09:49 PM

Beautiful, and since it's still beta, may I offer some what I hope are helpful critiques...

Menu items are almost unusable to the extent that I can't bloody see them!
Some text - i.e., software update is almost impossible to read - until highlighted, then it's no so bad...
A shiny menu (drop-down) variant would absolutely be the bomb, but I know that would be another load of work.
I would love some of the more common menu extra icons to be done too:
Konfabulator
Apple Keychain Access
DragThing (new to this)
Adium

Thanks for releasing this - it's truly a beaut!

SB

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 11:59 PM

Looks great but I'll probably wait until it's ready before I use it.

The font panel, for example, is unreadable since the text is black on black.

Lots of nice themes to switch between this last week; Lut, Unity, Milk 2.5 and Chosen Aero 2.0 might be worth a look as well.

Cathode is gonna be sweet when it's perfected... even though I'm tempted to use it now I know it won't last because of little polish things. Even Unity probably won't last long; it's a damn shame that it's so difficult (if not impossible) to make a dark theme perfect due to limitations or sloppy app coding.

R3z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 06:20 AM

Wow, Damn. Just got word of the beta, and I am freaking ImPreSSED. Cathode looks even cooler running than the previews - the animation is beautiful, and the theme has a very well-composed look. Visually, this is easily in my top 5... Only possible gripe is the same as every other dark theme - some apps don't play nice with black bg's. I'm totally dealing with it, though - this theme is worth it...

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU for releasing a beta.

You are the MAN.

hehe.

Acrimonium
Dec 14, 2004, 07:37 AM

My fav and longuely hope, thousnads thanks...
Tha async arrows are fabulous... The menu highlight, everything...
Ok, ok, there are 2-3 glitches, but, I'll manage to deal with...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by dragun415:

BTW. Thnx Solsonic for the cool icons!
I sure hope the cool poster is also going to be made into a desktop pic.
click one

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 12:17 AM

Very Very Sweet...
I hope this doesn't mean that you will be giving it up. You should be spurred on by how happy we all are ! I for one am quite grateul to you for releasing it earlier rather than later.

R3z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I sure hope the cool poster is also going to be made into a desktop pic.
Second this, now that I look at the poster... Got a cool look to it...

That, btw, is something I can actually do, so if you want, just send me the componants...

r3z_ AT softhome DOT net

yes, it's an underscore

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 08:02 PM

Getting some help with the text colors? Mail is like the only app that has bad usability problems.

If you end-up attempting iTunes again, all you really need to do is give it a black texture and some sleek black buttons.
click one

SilverDemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
[B]Getting some help with the text colors? Mail is like the only app that has bad usability problems.
Hmm... Actually, I find text being hardly readable in a lot of cases.. Good examples would be inactive tabs in Safari and text in the column view's preview pane (Type, Size, Modified, etc..) and disabled menus. Could be my apple lcd, though, but still.. Those are very painful issues to me..

Oh and I agree with NetShadow about the iTunes skin. And the main display could have the same color as the calculator.app.

Nice skin overall! Hope it gets updated someday...
Reality is what, when you stop believing in it,
doesn't go away...

dragun415  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 02:33 PM

Thanx everyone... I'll definitely update this sometime, maybe after the new year. but its really nice not to be thinking about working on it right now. . There are definitely text issues with Mail.app. Text problems seem to center around certain list views and tabs in general that aren't following themeparks rules.

I tried making all list views and bkgs a light gray but keeping the black buttons and bars. It was definitely easier on the eyes, but a compromise on the whole dark desktop idea. I think ill include in the update.

I have a high res version of the poster. ill post it when i get a chance.

SilverDemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 04:17 PM

I tried making all list views and bkgs a light gray but keeping the black buttons and bars. It was definitely easier on the eyes, but a compromise on the whole dark desktop idea. I think ill include in the update.

I have a high res version of the poster. ill post it when i get a chance.
Oh the grey bgs sound wonderful! And you could even do it as a choosable "variant", to make everyone happy. =)

Also, the text on active "Aqua Tabs" is hard to read, as well.. look at this screenshot:

Aqua Tabs Screenshot

Maybe you could make the text in a selected tab a little darker? (if that's even possible)

Thanks! looking forward to the poster, too!
doesn't go away...

CrewInCmh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2004, 09:29 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates and being MIA.

Basically. I got really frustrated with the theme and what I could do with it and just let it sit. I've decided to release it as a public beta, tho there are things I still want to do, but maybe when I have more inspiration or skills to do later. one big thing is theres no itunes skin. I will work on this in the future but for now I gotta take a break from it. not sure for how long

Hope you like it anyways. click on poster to download Disk Image (dmg).
its about 5mb.

I just wanted to say thanks for the beta I myself don't see much that needs to be be done. I must be the only one that doesn't have a problem with this dark theme. This is the first one that looks good with Safari. Although, the other web browsers tend to not deal with the text problem but oh well. Whom I to complain about anything since its free?

I think you have done a great job, If I had the resources and time I'd make some great themes as well, I am happy that someone like yourself took the time and do a great job.

BTW this is my set up. I have G4 Cube 450 Mhz, 512MB Ram, 16Mb Vram (could use more here) the older 15" LCD monitor that Apple paired up with the Graphite G4's. I enjou this theme. I did notice that if you use it with a lighter background it seems to look even nicer.

Thanks again. When you are ready I look forward to the completion, if not untill someone does a better JOB this gui kit is my perm mod. Well until Tiger comes out unless Apple decides my Cube is too slow for Tiger.

Peace

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 20, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by SilverDemon:
Oh the grey bgs sound wonderful! And you could even do it as a choosable "variant", to make everyone happy. =)

Also, the text on active "Aqua Tabs" is hard to read, as well.. look at this screenshot:

Aqua Tabs Screenshot

Maybe you could make the text in a selected tab a little darker? (if that's even possible)

Thanks! looking forward to the poster, too!
Those are the tabs from TuXedo, they just havent been "Cathodized" yet. I cant even think of anywhere they are used in Panther; except maybe Dragthing.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
Those are the tabs from TuXedo, they just havent been "Cathodized" yet. I cant even think of anywhere they are used in Panther; except maybe Dragthing.
Only place I have ever seen them. So I am 100% sure that there is no other common app that uses them. That doesn't mean overlook it, mind you.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 12:24 AM

Just curious... is anyone still working on this theme to finish it 100%?

It's a waste to see a black theme that had so much promise and coolness go unfinished.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

acronym16
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2004, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
Just curious... is anyone still working on this theme to finish it 100%?

It's a waste to see a black theme that had so much promise and coolness go unfinished.
If you read draguns posts you would see that he is planning to finish it but is takeing a break at this current time.

SilverDemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 03:23 PM

Only place I have ever seen them. So I am 100% sure that there is no other common app that uses them. That doesn't mean overlook it, mind you.
Opera! Opera uses those tabs as well! =)
doesn't go away...

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2004, 05:00 PM

I think the theme so far.
The biggest and most annoying bug so far would be inactive text in text boxes. It is impossible to read.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2004, 03:04 PM

I agree - a lot of us use DragThing - and when a theme has Tabs themed, I am sooooo happy!
Don't know how much more work it is, but it's sure nice to have a cool theme part of DT as well.

SB

nycdunz
Senior User
Dec 24, 2004, 11:11 PM

dragun415 awesome theme man! wow... its hard to find a good looking dark theme... this is one of em... love it, please try to complete it, or pass the rights to someone else who can modify it! very good work, you have very good skills!

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2005, 10:52 PM

Any more word on this? I love the theme, but I still can't read tabs in Safari, which is a huge hindrance.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 11:46 AM

So you've had 2/3 months off.....

When is this theme going to get finished?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2005, 02:10 PM

i have an idea for all themes that are unfinished/abandoned. if someone out there has lots of webspace, the incomplete theme creator(s) could upload it to that person and they could put it on a page, so others can have access to them and possibly finish some or take great gui parts. of course credit of the original theme creator(s) should be mentioned upon release of the completed theme.

RimshotDesign
Feb 22, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
i have an idea for all themes that are unfinished/abandoned. if someone out there has lots of webspace, the incomplete theme creator(s) could upload it to that person and they could put it on a page, so others can have access to them and possibly finish some or take great gui parts. of course credit of the original theme creator(s) should be mentioned upon release of the completed theme.
hum lool i don't think that a lot of artist will share free ressource. Let them work and take their time.

voo
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
What a smart idea really! His and hers take on the theme with loads of versions released. Its bad enough with official themes released and its mods.
All to please certain individuals who are impatient.

R3z
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by RimshotDesign:
hum lool i don't think that a lot of artist will share free ressource. Let them work and take their time.
Well, it's that first part I'm worried about. Cathode is a Bad Ass theme, but if he's not going to finish it, he might as well give up the resources, as it looks like the project's been slipped in the round file as is.

surfgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 02:22 AM

Please can I get the download link. The original one is now dead.
Thanks

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 08:59 AM

I was just thinking of bumping this thread the other day. So, what is the status of this theme? Are we still on hold?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 10:03 AM

i've been waiting on this theme for a long time. i got the first 2 beta versions, but then got left out of the beta loop some how (i noticed someone mentioned a beta 4 and 5). when is this being released?

4lfclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 10:37 AM

I just setup my .Mac homepage. You guys can download the Cathode Kit from there

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4lfclover
I just setup my .Mac homepage. You guys can download the Cathode Kit from there
so...is that the final version?

4lfclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
so...is that the final version?
I'm not sure, two people PM'D me this version when I asked earlier this month.

surfgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks, downloading now.

4lfclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by surfgeek
Thanks, downloading now.
Your Welcome

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 02:30 PM

So recapping what Dragun415 said:
Originally Posted by dragun415
Sorry for the lack of updates and being MIA.

Basically. I got really frustrated with the theme and what I could do with it and just let it sit. I've decided to release it as a public beta, tho there are things I still want to do, but maybe when I have more inspiration or skills to do later. one big thing is theres no itunes skin. I will work on this in the future but for now I gotta take a break from it. not sure for how long

Hope you like it anyways. click on poster to download Disk Image (dmg).
its about 5mb.

PublicBeta 1 is this version and the one is being shared by 4lfclover. So it's about as final as it got.

It is really quite amazing for a dark theme - it has issues but the glossy inkiness is brilliantly executed

4lfclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by eyevaan
So recapping what Dragun415 said:

PublicBeta 1 is this version and the one is being shared by 4lfclover. So it's about as final as it got.

It is really quite amazing for a dark theme - it has issues but the glossy inkiness is brilliantly executed
Yes the one I have is PublicBeta 1

Forum Links
Forum Rules