Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > To everyone carping about Apple's future

To everyone carping about Apple's future
baliset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2001, 09:20 PM

I'm sure now that you just can't please some people.
Sure, Apple has it's faults, but it has a lot to be proud of. Would you expect Microsoft to take in over 75000 comments on a Beta of Windows and then demonstrate just how they have listened?
No.
Would you expect a company like Compaq to bring any creativity to introducing technology like DVD-R that has the potential to revolutionise the way we view and store our recorded memories?
No.
Would you expect someone like Gateway or Dell to care enough about the aesthetics of their laptops to make them out of titanium?
No.
Has any other company done more to bring technology like video editing, previously costing 5 and 6 figures, to consumer levels? (in fact,make the hardware standard and give away the software for free?)
No.

Stop your pathetic whinging. I myself had concerns about Apple's malaise, their arrogance, their G4 hassles, and their too-different approach to OS-X. But now, I'm converted. Apple deserves to wipe the floor with Microsoft, Intel, and many of the PC manufacturers who should hang their heads in shame for their lack of creativity.

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]

Phaedrus
Jan 9, 2001, 11:55 PM

I must agree with alot of what you've said. I'm surprised at the level of dissapointment out there..I thought MWSF was great.

One correction: Compaq is going to be using the same "superdrive" that ships in the high-end powermac. I'm sure they won't have anything as good as iDVD, but Apple isn't alone in using it.

That aside, I'm impressed. I want a new powermac. I want a powerbook. I have no money.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 01:20 AM

Right on.

Man, some people will always find something to bitch about. I'm not going to pretend I don't see problems with Apple -- I definitely do. And we should always be critical 'cause it keeps Steve & Co. on their toes (and us too). But c'mon! Do some of you have nothing better to do than sit on here and whine all night?

ahzab33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2001, 02:03 AM

I agree with you all. Apple is not the only comapny with problems though. Dell, Gateway, Compaq, and even Microsoft reported profit warnings. Why do people only tal about Apple? Is Dell in any less danger? We should all feel sorry for them. They're stuck with a truck load of garbage Pentium 4s that aren't even being advertised as much as Pentium 3. There are a lot of politics going on out there. For example: I haven't seen one news site or report talk about how the G4 smoked that Pentium 4 today. To me that was the highlight of the show. I broke out laughing when I saw that and made phone calls.

Apple is going to have to win this war on sheer quality, which is what they have been doing all along. It would be a very boring world if we all had to get our computers from Dull, I mean Dell.

------------------
Jamil

My Computer's a beast!
Jamil

My Computer's a beast!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 02:29 AM

I thought today was huge. Have you tried iTunes? WOW!!! Even my wife figured it out and she can barely email. We have iMovie 2 and it is awesome. I am dying to get iDVD but it will take a while to get the cash for a new system. The powerbook is stunning! What a great day to be a Mac user.

Phaedrus
Jan 10, 2001, 02:56 AM

I haven't seen one news site or report talk about how the G4 smoked that Pentium 4 today
This is the real tragedy. The media blows a gasket everytime Intel raises their MHz, but when the G4 is proven to be faster than the Pentiums at many tasks, the media doesn't even acknowledge it. This pisses me off so much. It's kinda like when Clinton takes a crap and the media reports it, but George W. Bush's extensive arrest record isn't even discussed amongst the mainstream media. Pure, unadulterated bias.

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2001, 03:37 AM

I'm crying! I just checked the news on apple.com and I want a the new G4s NOW!!! But I don't have any money!!
I wish I could afford the PowerBook too!! Those machines will burn anything else in the market. All we where complaining about (133 Mhz bus, 4x AGP, etc.) is past!! I think we're on the right path!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2001, 08:38 AM

Amen Brother!
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 08:59 AM

Yes, we do get spoiled, don't we...
...expecting some innovation as dramatic as cube, ibook, imac at each show.

Sure, it would have made a lot more PR splash if Motorola had it's production act together and we could be comparing G4DP 733 to the Pentium, but... that doesn't affect the overwhelming majority of us Mac users nearly as it is sad for Apple's IMAGE.

After last year's booboo's Apple could really use something unequivocally revolutionary and Pentium-transcending...

In the meanwhile, we best be hoping for stability and reliability in all the new software/hardware tweaks... for Apple's survival it needs to regain that reliability reputation... until the next pop-your-eyes-out CPU innovation.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 10:02 AM

I was impressed with everything BUT iTunes.

The new PB is stunning, glad to se V'Ger chips hitting the market too.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 10:19 AM

didnt you post this in the loung forum?

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 12:44 PM

I was watching (or trying to watch) the keynote yesterday while I was on IRC (really useful if your audio drops off for a minute at a time and you miss things).

The runnings commentary from that usual gang of idiots ranged from awesome to ashamed, disappointed, angry, etc. But so many people were trying to compare Apple's situation to the PC/Windows market, which you just can't do accurately; I read the word 'proprietary' way too much..

Anyway, I bought a PBG4 yesterday at 2:42pm eastern time; apple store listed 21 days.

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

-p

RWoelk
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 02:43 PM

Thank you! A much needed thread and I couldn't agree more. An amazing wonderful keynote with a great product line to back it up. I just upgraded to a new PowerBook and G4 last year so I'm not quite ready make the plunge yet, but oh so tempted!!!

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

P7
Jan 10, 2001, 04:39 PM

Expect some innovation every time...? I dunno, it seems to me that there was MORE at this event than usual... a whole new suite of software, a revolution in optical media, a completely new portable, and a significant update to a total redesign of their operating system with a final release date. If you ask me this has been the most exciting Macworld in a long time. And while maybe not as "thrilling" as when Steve came back and gave everything translucent plastics, it's certainly more significant for the longevity of the company and with showing that not only are they leaders in casings, but in user experience and hardware, too.

But yes, VERY disappointing there's no media coverage of the megahertz gap... which is why Apple needs to put out their OWN ads showing it! They probably don't do that because they want to take a "high road" approach... and that may work out in the long run.. but for now it's awfully frustrating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules