Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Schmidt: New Google Maps app for iOS not yet submitted

Schmidt: New Google Maps app for iOS not yet submitted
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 25, 2012, 03:16 AM

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has told a small group of reporters in Japan that Google has not yet submitted a stand-alone version of its Google Maps app for iOS, reports Reuters. Schmidt was speaking at the Japanese launch event for the Nexus 7 tablet, where Google also took the opportunity to show off a flashy new gyroscope-enabled map feature for its Google Maps app for Android, rubbing further salt into the wounds of iPhone fans. On the matter of an eagerly awaited revamped Google Maps app for iOS, Schmidt told the reporters "We have not done anything yet."

"We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know?" added. "What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call." Schmidt also added that Apple and Google are continually in communication about a range of matters at "all levels," and hoped that Apple would rekindle its search partnership with Google. "I'm not doing any predictions," Schmidt cautioned. "We want them to be our partner. We welcome that. I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do. They can answer that question as they see fit," he said. Apple's eagerly anticipated new Maps app has been met with stiff criticism from all quarters since its debut on September 19 with the arrival of iOS 6. In addition to a number of embarrasing 3D imaging glitches, users have reported numerous instances of mapping inaccuracies that have seen even entire towns misplaced. Apple's competitors have been quick to pounce on the SNAFU, while many sections of the media have been overjoyed to see the Cupertino giant make a rare misstep. Apple's Maps team is said to be in "lockdown" trying to address as many of the issues as it can in the short term, although the company admits that Maps is a new is a version 1.0 product and will improve over time. In the interim, users have implemented workarounds including using Google maps via the Internet or other third-party alternatives available on the App Store. However, Steve Wozniak has come out in defence of Apple arguing that the problems with the new Apple Maps app have been overstated.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012, 04:01 AM

Google is taking its sweet time for its Google Map App even though it might had been done already for the iOS. They are using this opportunity to convert. Maybe Google map is superior but I am not planning to drive my car to North Pole any sooner.

efithian
Sep 25, 2012, 04:45 AM

I have only used the Apple Maps a few times, but so far it has done very well. Its route selections are better than either TomTom or Google Maps. The 3D view is amazing for planning travel. With the iPhone 5 it is exceptionally fast a little slower on new iPad. No need to buy traffic or maps on TomTom, and it works internationally, even in Argentina.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by efithian View Post
I have only used the Apple Maps a few times, but so far it has done very well. Its route selections are better than either TomTom or Google Maps. The 3D view is amazing for planning travel. With the iPhone 5 it is exceptionally fast a little slower on new iPad. No need to buy traffic or maps on TomTom, and it works internationally, even in Argentina.
Not without a data connection, though, so for traveling internationally, you'll still need a navigation app with local maps (unless your carrier offers data flat rates for roaming).

JohnFromBeyond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 07:03 AM

Schmidt is so clueless. He claims that everything is out of his hands, while at the same time admitting that communication goes on "at all levels" -- that would include him. If he made a compelling case to Apple, I'm sure Apple would have listened. Why didn't Google add turn by turn directions to the iphone app when Android had it for years? And why didn't Google simply submit a new maps app for iOS 6 already? Because then they would be compelled to add turn-by-turn and Android would no longer have an edge (in their mind).

Google is intentionally milking the 1.0 troubles, which demonstrates why Apple had no choice but cut reliance on their arch rival. If Google was a partner, Apple would be using their shiny new turn-by-turn app way back in iOS 4 or 5. But Google is not a partner, they are much more a competitor.

Apple's map app will get better week by week because most of the mistakes can be fixed on the server side. A few months from now, this will be a distant memory.

ctt61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 09:50 AM

I totally agree, Is anyone expect apple maps better than google from the get go. No I don't, but it is functional. in the past, I have frustration with google maps give wrong info or place that already close. But I have no other choice (free choice) on iPhone. Now with Apple maps, i can use. Google can made these apps but they won't. because they are no longer the company with motto " Do no evil". If you really want more precise maps, buy a portable GPS

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 25, 2012, 09:57 AM

This is like a neighbor who shoots your dog, then doesn't understand why later you went and bought a ladder when you could've borrowed his. Apple has no desire obviously to want Google involved with any aspect of their iOS...not after stealing it years ago when Schmidt was on the Board.

That stated, I miss the features of Google Maps on my iPhone but, as someone else stated, not to the extent that I'd switch phone brands. I can wait for either Apple to make theirs better and/or Google to release the iOS Google Map.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by JohnFromBeyond View Post
Why didn't Google add turn by turn directions to the iphone app when Android had it for years?
Why do iPhone users expect services be available to them? Google should pull all services from non-Android users because that's what Apple would do.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 10:43 AM

Apple should create a browser-based version of Apple Maps for desktop users, and they should have a system in place to report errors and omissions. That would help them catch up.

But Apple should also create a desktop version of iBooks, but they stupidly refuse to do so. So I'm not hopeful.

VoiceOfReason
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 10:43 AM

Schmidt has nothing but contempt for Apple. For him to say otherwise is an insult to the group he spoke to.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 25, 2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
Why do iPhone users expect services be available to them? Google should pull all services from non-Android users because that's what Apple would do.
I like the sound of that. crApple deserves a slap in the face once in awhile. So far they have earned themselves a kick in the buttocks.

I Wonder Why
Sep 25, 2012, 02:15 PM

Hey, the Android fanboys have dropped in to vomit...

JohnFromBeyond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

"Why do iPhone users expect services be available to them? Google should pull all services from non-Android users because that's what Apple would do."

Umm, that's what Google has already done (withhold turn by turn from non-Android users), and I can't say I blame them. You also can't blame Apple for responding with their own solution. Actually, I'm sure Google would have gladly licensed the turn by turn data to Apple for a hefty fee. The only reason Google allows Apple to use their search engine and other existing services is because they make tons of money on the advertising.

Both companies are in it for the money -- duh. But hearing Schmidt whine when Apple makes the only sensible move they can make is laughable. Google started off as a partner to Apple and then chose to be a competitor. They can't have it both ways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules