Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo powerbook HD into Ti G4?

Pismo powerbook HD into Ti G4?
baliset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 07:20 PM

When I got my Pismo (G3 FireWire powerbook) last year I had the HD upgraded to a 12Gb IBM travelstar. Since the Ti G4 powerbook only comes with a 10Gb in the 400Mhz config, I was wondering if anyone knew if I could swap the drives between the machines. Are both machines Ultra ATA 66 format? Is there enough space in both machines to do the swap, or does the internal drive bay in the G4 not have enough space? I'm doing this because I'm giving the Pismo to a a co-worker and a) don't want to have to copy all my info across, and b) keep the larger drive.

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
[email protected]

gooffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 10:35 PM

I ask the same questions on the post just below this one. The IBM Travelstar, 4000rpm, ata 66 comes a few sizes from IBM, you might even wanna go out and buy the 20 gig version for around 180USD. The only question is the height of the drive? 9.5mm or 12mm, we need to find someone that has opened a G4 and taken a look the G4 spec pages from Apple don't explain this. Also as I noted in my post IBM makes a 5411RPM drive which should see HD performance pick up by 25%, but how much heat is created any one out there know of any extra cooling tricks?
*m

baliset  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 10:55 PM

Since my post I think I've found some answers.
Yes, the format is the same as for the Pismo, Ultra ATA 66.
Yes, the size of the G4 bay will accomodate the size of the drive. 10Gb-20Gb capacity drives are under 10mm in height, and the 30Gb just sneaks in under the maximum the G4 will hold, 12.5mm. So, yes, a straight swap is definitely possible. The hard drive is listed as one of the user-upgradable items, and can be accessed from the underside of the PB by removing 7 torx screws.

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
[email protected]

Yuri1419
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2001, 12:08 AM

Actually, it's 8 philips screws. I'm typing on one right now. (TiBook, not a phillips screw)

Forum Links
Forum Rules