Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ethernet dead?

Ethernet dead?
tas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2010, 06:28 PM

I am not sure if this belongs here or in the networking section.

One of my computers is an old iMac G3 333 running OS 9. It is connected by a router to a DSL modem. Two days again it quit connecting to the internet. When I open the Apple Profiler, for enthernet is lists status as 'down.'

Does this mean the ethernet is dead, and if not, how could it be revived? Can it be replaced? I use this machine mainly for editing art, and it and the printer it is connected to, are better than my newer systems.

Thanks

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2010, 06:34 PM

I can't remember how OS 9 works any more, so can't help you there.

Tried a different port, cable? Zapping PRAM?

If it's still dead, these machines go for peanuts, so just pick up another and swap the hard drive into it.

tas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2010, 06:58 PM

Seac,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried:
Hooking the iMac directly up to the modem;
Switching ports on the router;
Switching cables [ones that I had tested on other machines].
Called my ISP ; the tech sounded as if he was probably only a little older than my iMac; he told me to call Apple because he had heard how great their tech support was, no matter the age of the machine. They [the ISP people] would have to charge me a fee to tell me how to reconnect my machine to the internet!
Called Apple. Machine is out of warrenty - we'll anwer your question on how to connect to the internet for a fee.
Called the router maker. They told me to call the vendor of my machine

I was afraid that in changing some of the entries on the TCP/IP, I may have turned the ethernet port 'off.' I did not discover the entry in the Apple profiler at first.

Have not zapped the pram yet - afraid of not doing it correctly - I am not as tech savy as I used to be.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2010, 07:37 PM

tas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2010, 06:03 PM

I zapped the PRAM but there was not change in status.

I did discover that I am running 9.1; don't know why I thought 9.2.

The readings in the Apple Profiler next to ethernet read:
Link: down
Speed: n/a
Duplex: n/a

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2010, 06:05 PM

To be honest, I'd just hit eBay and get another. You'll probably get a faster one.

tas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2010, 06:37 PM

seanc

I scrolling through eBay now.

Thanks

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010, 08:07 PM

If yours is the only device on the network I assume you tried powering and off your ISP's modem?
If it isn't the only device then no point of course...

tas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2010, 08:36 PM

There are three others on the network and they can connect with no problem.

I've tried powering on and off the modem, 'rebooting' the modem [the thing where you have to use a paperclip on the back and I can't remember what to call it], and doing the same with the router.

When the iMac is connected to the router, the port number on the front on the router justs blincks. When I open the router's setup utlity, the iMac is not listed.

I used Tech Tool Pro to try pinging but it just failed.

stevesemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2010, 06:04 PM

To be honest you must only be running early browsers and I can't imagine its much fun, half your sites won't download correctly.
For about £30 get an emac which is still 'old Apple' with matching keyboard and mouse and built in speakers - make sure you get OS 10.4 minimum so you get latest Firefox or Safari and you can get any wireless dongle for about £30 and have so much more fun!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2010, 06:05 PM

It's one of his computers, I was thinking he keeps it around for this specific purpose and uses others for daily tasks.

tas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2010, 10:56 AM

seanc

You are correct. I have four other machines: one Mac and three PC [forgive me]. The only thing I did anymore on the iMac G3 was dealing with scans and photographs & working with old Appleworks files

Hooked up to the iMac I have an old Umax Astra that makes fantastic scans - it will even scan framed photographs in focus. With it I have an old HP 882C that prints things so well you can't tell which ones I printed and which ones were from a book. None of the newer scanners and printers I have will make images as great as these old ones.

The only internet thing I used the old iMac for was to email copies of stuff I had worked with to myself so I could archive them, since the newer machines can burn cds & dvds, and connect to external backups faster

Forum Links
Forum Rules