Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15 or 17" PB - New to forum and computers, advice please.

15 or 17" PB - New to forum and computers, advice please.
Invincible J
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 10:27 AM

Hi there, I came across this website whilst researching PBs, which I am wanting to invest in, this will be my first computer which I am very much looking forward to getting .

I used to be very pro PC until I mucked about a bit with a mates iBook, which I thought was very nice!

So, I've decided to 'treat' myself to a PowerBook, but I am sure as to whether I should get the 15" or 17", could you advise me?

Many thanks.

'Vince J

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 11:01 AM

I personally have a 17" albook, I love the thing to death, but i will tell you that it's not for everyone. I'm wide format guy (translation: too big body) and I find the 17" to be the perfect size for my lap, and I don't find it anywhere near heavy but I can see where a small, or skinny person might find it overwhelming.

The 15" looks very appealing, except for all the tons of complaints about the screen that would make someone think twice about buying one.

good luck.

hostvisions
Jan 20, 2004, 12:04 PM

I just bought a 17" yesterday, solely on price alone (see my other thread). It's big, no doubt. No something I'd want to carry every day, but then again, I don't have to carry it every day!

Fantastic screen. I wish they had put a keypad on the keyboard though - it isn't as though they didn't have room for it!

Invincible J  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 12:11 PM

Thanks to the both of you for your replies, I don't need to carry the laptop with me either, it's just fir show I guess (heh heh).

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 12:17 PM

I chose the 15" mainly because the 17" was too big for my liking....it's a laptop, I wanted something that was a little more portable. I presonally think the 15 is the perfect size. Big enough to really enjoy at the desk, or watching a movie, etc. And small enough to carry around comfortably.

As far as the problems with the new 15" AlBook's...the screen problem has supposedly been taken care of. It was a bad batch of screens from Samsung.

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on your upcoming purchase!

Invincible J  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Minty Fresh:
I chose the 15" mainly because the 17" was too big for my liking....it's a laptop, I wanted something that was a little more portable. I presonally think the 15 is the perfect size. Big enough to really enjoy at the desk, or watching a movie, etc. And small enough to carry around comfortably.

As far as the problems with the new 15" AlBook's...the screen problem has supposedly been taken care of. It was a bad batch of screens from Samsung.

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on your upcoming purchase!
Thank you, I'm really looking forward to buying my PowerBook which should be within the next 2-3 weeks, I'm currently paying off Christmas Presents.

I quite like the size of the iBook that my friend has, like you said, it's a good size for watching movies...hmmm I dunno, I guess I'll have to go back down to the shop and eye up the sizes again and sit with them on my lap.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Invincible J:
Thank you, I'm really looking forward to buying my PowerBook which should be within the next 2-3 weeks, I'm currently paying off Christmas Presents.

I quite like the size of the iBook that my friend has, like you said, it's a good size for watching movies...hmmm I dunno, I guess I'll have to go back down to the shop and eye up the sizes again and sit with them on my lap.
That is the best thing. Go and play with them at the shop and see which one you like. I was all set to get a 12" iBook just on price alone then I saw the 12" powerbook. I played with it for a while and knew it was what I wanted. Better keyboard than the iBook and for be Built in Bluetooth was key.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 02:03 PM

Invincible J: I just bought the 15" Al Powerbook 12 days ago. Let me tell you that you will not be disappointed. Like many here, I thought long and hard about which PB models to get, for me it was 12" vs. 15" Powerbook. I also considered the 12" iBook. I spent a few months testing out all the models, comparing screen quality, build-quality, options and features.

Ultimately, I decided to go with the 15" PB for these reasons:

1. Best screen quality. In my opinion, the 15" screen is crisper than the 12" or 17" PB.

2. Size. Just right, not too big, not too small.

3. Mobility. Although the 15" is not as small as the 12" obviously, it is still readily mobile. I just put it in my backpack's notebook sleeve and go. Simple.

4. Quality. I do believe that the white spot issue has been remedied.

5. Personal preference. Naturally, it'll come down to what you want. No one can really convince you more than yourself.

Good luck and welcome. Feel free to ask questions. Most are quite nice here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules