Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > What's the best way to multitrack record on a Powerbook?

What's the best way to multitrack record on a Powerbook?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 10:17 PM

I just scored myself an old Roland M-240 mixer for a few days from a friend that has 24 inputs. What's the best way to get at leaset three separate tracks recording all at once? He leant it so I could get a feel to recording with a mixer, but I'm thinking I'll need something else for multitracking since there's only one left/right balanced lines out and one left/right unbalanced lines out.

Also, what's the cheapest multitrack recording software? I'm looking for something that would be enough to get good jams or live recordings.

(And to those who've helped me on some of my previous questions, thank you!)

brianb
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2004, 12:40 AM

You would need to pick up a multitrack input system like something from MOTU that would have Multi in and outs to do individual channels. If you are sticking with just the standard stereo in's you could do a stereo mix down on the board always. But a great cheap way of doing audio is using two inputs either built on or something like the Griffen iMic and use Grage Band Very good and Cheap.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by brianb:
You would need to pick up a multitrack input system like something from MOTU that would have Multi in and outs to do individual channels. If you are sticking with just the standard stereo in's you could do a stereo mix down on the board always. But a great cheap way of doing audio is using two inputs either built on or something like the Griffen iMic and use Grage Band Very good and Cheap.
Yeah, at the moment I'm using GarageBand right now which is a very good cheap solution. I am looking for a solution that will allow in the future for me to get different channels of audio in at the same time (I suppose I'll have to use Soundtrack, Logic, or something along those lines), so that when I'm playing with other people that I can alter say the bass without effecting the guitar.

MacMcMacintosh
Apr 1, 2004, 08:09 AM

One option you could use is the digidesign 002 rack (about �2000 in uk) which would do everything you need and include protools le which is very good. for a cheaper option a motu interface (828 mk2 or 896 hd) and a copy of logic express. this option you would be able to get for well under �1000 in the u.k. I personally have got logic pro and the motu 896 and this works very well and i can easily rocord 8 inputs at the same time with my powerbook

Phil

Forum Links
Forum Rules