Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AirPort BaseStation configuration troubles

AirPort BaseStation configuration troubles
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 09:58 PM

So, I got my new Powerbook all set up today... Files transfered over, etc. AirPort card connects to the BaseStation via the Powerbook... but here's my problem:

I can't configure the BaseStation! Whenever I go to the AirPort Admin Utility and scan for the BaseStation, it doesn't show up. Similarly, if I'm in the AirPort Setup Assistant and try to configure it from there, it says that no BaseStation can be found and to suggests that I reset it. I've done that, and the same thing happens. What makes this annoying is that I can't connect my G4/400 to the internet since I just put an AirPort card into it today and for whatever reason it won't connect to the BaseStation- says that no network can be found.

Any help? Suggestions? I'd rather not have my family annoyed at me because they can't connect to the net on the G4/400.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2003, 09:50 AM

I had this problem when I installed a firewall (Brickhouse and Norton). Appearently it blocked even the Basestatioin from communicating. If you have a firewall try disabling it or allowing access to 10.0.1.1 (usual IP address for the base)

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 16, 2003, 05:12 PM

It helps to do the configuration while wired to the base station. With an ethernet cable between your computer and the base, the Admin Utility really can't pretend the base isn't there. Make note of the default password, and follow the manual/TIL for step by step instructions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hart
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 03:55 PM

I guess I'll just pick up where this left off.

I'm working with a graphite base station. I was rearanging my cable rats' nest under my desk and when I get everything all plugged back together the base station was flashing alternate one red light and 3 amber. I replugged all the cables, same thing.

So I went through reset procedure with computer connected to BS via ethernet crossover cable as instructed in Apple's article 58623, Resetiing the Airport Base Station (Graphite). Base station didnt appear in Airport Admin Utility window. So next I connected computer and BS to my router and again reset BS. Now the BS appeared in the Airport Admin Utility window and I went through the reconfigure process following the instructions. Seems fine, various flashing lights and then lights go back to alternating one red and three amber then some fluttering green added in. When I try to configure it using Airport Admin Utility (I want to input my own password) I get "Unable to read the configuration of the selected base station. An Error occrurred while reading the configuration." My BS is not showing up as an network to join, altho I'm seeing a neighbor's network.

What is going on here? And what should I do.

hart
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 04:23 PM

additional note: BS continues to blink even when not connected to the network (nothing plugged into it's ethernet port) and results were same after reconfiguring via another computer on my network.

hart
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 07:11 AM

once again, I'm answering my own question. Had to do it by taking first trip in ages to Apple discussions.

OK, this is a known issue. single red light alternating with 3 ambers is the give-away. see apple discussions: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/8

In many of the Graphite Base stations there were apparently faulty capacitors which eventually give up the ghost. If you're still under warranty (including applecare for the associated computer) Apple will probably send you a replacement if you ask nicely. If not ...you can try but...

Replacing the capacitors is an option if you like to play with solder. Which is something I for one have never done. Instructions are here: http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Repair/index.html

MOre info from the same guy: http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/index.html

or you can get it repaired. All of which sounds like it comes under the category of "not worth it" except as a fun scientific experiment to do with my son.

So, on to read other posts to find out what BS/WAP to buy. ......sigh..... annoying thing is that the whole process of rearranging my cable seems to have also freaked out my cheap USB hub which won't power up. AAAAAA!!! Moral of the story: don't clean up under your desk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules