Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox .9 out!

Firefox .9 out!
F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 05:33 AM

New theme, many bug fixes.
Check it out at Mozilla.org

I for one hate the new theme

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
New theme, many bug fixes.
Check it out at Mozilla.org

I for one hate the new theme
the old theme definetly was better, but apparently they want a unified look on all platforms. Personnally, i want my old theme back.

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 08:42 AM

I have yet to find it

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 09:12 AM

If you don't like the new theme, I thought you could change it with the built-in theme manager...correct?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2004, 10:07 AM

I had heard that the Mac Pinstripe theme wasn't changing; am I mistaken? The way I heard it, only the Windows and Linux themes were going to change.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2004, 10:21 AM

If it's v0.9 why does the download link download v0.8+?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I had heard that the Mac Pinstripe theme wasn't changing; am I mistaken? The way I heard it, only the Windows and Linux themes were going to change.
Exactly - theme change for Windows and Linux only.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Exactly - theme change for Windows and Linux only.
If you actually download it you will find that the Mac theme did change, whether they said it would or not.

I don't like it that much either, but I'm sure Pinstripe will be updated for 0.9 soon.

The good news is that Adblock has been updated and it works again!

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
If you actually download it you will find that the Mac theme did change, whether they said it would or not.

I don't like it that much either, but I'm sure Pinstripe will be updated for 0.9 soon.

It looks quite a lot like pinstripe, but misses the great icons...

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 15, 2004, 11:44 AM

there are some themes available other than pinstripe. most work only for windows, but there are a few nicer ones for os x.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 12:17 PM

4 icons have changed - it's still the same theme: Pinstripe.

The new icons are part of the effort to make the Windows version look like the mac on, and vice versa.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 12:33 PM

The final release is pretty decent all in all, especially as Ben (Goodger) said he might have had to delay the Mac version.

Seems faster too.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
4 icons have changed - it's still the same theme: Pinstripe.

The new icons are part of the effort to make the Windows version look like the mac on, and vice versa.
I stand corrected.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 12:58 PM

I stand corrected.
Don't worry, I just thought it was worth pointing out in light of everyone getting cross about nothing.

I like the stop and Home buttons, but am less keen on refresh - although they are preferable to those button style icons.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 12:58 PM

Still missing any sort of spell chekr.
I'd happily move to a Gecko-based browser when/if the FireFox or Camino developers include a spell checking service. For now, I'm attached to OmniWeb 5.


Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Still missing any sort of spell chekr.
I'd happily move to a Gecko-based browser when/if the FireFox or Camino developers include a spell checking service. For now, I'm attached to OmniWeb 5.
There is a buggy spell checking extension. Also I believe Thunderbird has a spell checker, which may make it's way into Firefox post 1.0 (as it's not critical).

MaxGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2004, 01:26 PM

How do you install Themes with 0.9? I get to a themes window but can only download .jar files. There doesn't seem to be an install pane in the preferences. Has this been removed from the Mac version of Firefox? I am finding the same thing with extensions, too.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 15, 2004, 01:38 PM

not all themes work with the os x version, afaik. Have you tried Mostly Crystal? It works for me.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2004, 01:40 PM

I just realized I use this app, time to update!!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MaxGuru:
How do you install Themes with 0.9? I get to a themes window but can only download .jar files. There doesn't seem to be an install pane in the preferences. Has this been removed from the Mac version of Firefox? I am finding the same thing with extensions, too.
Tools menu. I haven't installed any themes, but I have installed two extensions (Adblock and Web Developer).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 01:59 PM

It's an embarrassment when any OSX app, especially a browser, doesn't include a spell checker. I'll pass.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have to download it... Still use Safari mainly, but I occasionally use Firefox on the Mac, and try to almost always use it on Windows.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 03:15 PM

Tools menu. I haven't installed any themes, but I have installed two extensions (Adblock and Web Developer).
They have to have been rewritten for 0.9 - there is a version of 'Abstract mac' on the artists homepage which is ready for the new release.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 03:36 PM

I don't like 0.9 ... the new look sucks ... I am not too hot on the changes made to the menus ... it could not even import FF 0.8 bookmarks WTF? ... yeah. I'm sticking with 0.8 for now.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I don't like 0.9 ... the new look sucks ... I am not too hot on the changes made to the menus ... it could not even import FF 0.8 bookmarks WTF? ... yeah. I'm sticking with 0.8 for now.
If you're having trouble with your profile, move the Firefox folder in ~/Library to ~/Library/Application Support as this is the new location.

I quite like the (4) new icons now

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
It's an embarrassment when any OSX app, especially a browser, doesn't include a spell checker. I'll pass.
Iff ewe knead eh chequer be fore using a browser, it is thyme four ewe two get a life.

That said, the new interface really is very inelegant as compared to the old. The toolbar icons are a big issue, but even worse is the fact that it did not automatically import the old preferences values. Given that both the old and new locations were well-defined, this would have been borderline-trivial to implement. They could have at least included an option to do this as part of the import assistant.

The menu changes were a good idea, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Iff ewe knead eh chequer be fore using a browser, it is thyme four ewe two get a life.

That said, the new interface really is very inelegant as compared to the old. The toolbar icons are a big issue, but even worse is the fact that it did not automatically import the old preferences values. Given that both the old and new locations were well-defined, this would have been borderline-trivial to implement. They could have at least included an option to do this as part of the import assistant.

The menu changes were a good idea, though.
Eye have a life, thankz end aye kin spel rellie gud. But men-ee peeple kant, end beesidez, OSX haz spelrite bilt inn end eye em sue prized dat anee nu browzer kant inklute 1 with itt.

btw, ewe culd use aye leetle up grayed onn ur riting az wel...

"That said, the new interface really is inelegant. The toolbar icons are an issue, but even worse is that it does not automatically import the older preferences values. Given that both locations are well-defined, this would have been trivial to implement. They could have, at least, included an option to do this via the import assistant."

( Last edited by Randman; Jun 15, 2004 at 04:46 PM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2004, 07:06 PM

I load the program and it quits then it starts up. What gives? How can I fix this problem
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 07:40 PM

Just let it go for a bit. I'm not sure exactly what it's doing, but I think it has to do with importing IE bookmarks and whatnot. It quit and relaunched itself twice, I think, on my system. Others have reported more.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 01:26 AM

I like it on OS X and Windows. Definitely seems faster than 0.8, the look on Windows is much cleaner, and I had no problem importing bookmarks from IE (on Windows) and 0.8 (on Windows and Mac).

austeros
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 11:52 AM

any idea how to get realplayer working with it? keeps saying no plugin, but its right where its always been.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

philcozz
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2004, 01:32 PM

I actually like the new theme... Just another perspective.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 03:08 PM

I can't find a way to get my safari bookmarks into firefox. Is it possible?

dirtbikephil
Jun 24, 2004, 12:40 AM

I'm not so much a fan of the new look either. However, I was able to find a way to get the old pinstripe them in 0.9.

Here's how:
Just download this file. To install it, right click or ctrl-click on Firefox and choose "Show Package Contents". Put it in /Contents/MacOS/chrome/. You might want to back up the classic.jar file that's already in that folder.

Restart Firefox and voila!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 03:30 AM

As an avid fan of OmniWeb, I must say that I'm really impressed with how far along FireFox has come. Version 0.9 is FAST, FAST, FAST! I find myself using it as my main browser now. I agree that the themes for FireFox is lacking, but the speed far than makes up for it. I don't want to get into a browser debate, but from using OW 5 b.8, Safari 1.2, Camino 0.8 and FireFox 0.9, the speed of Firefox is noticeably faster compared to the rest. Great job FireFox team. I am looking forward to version 1.0.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
I can't find a way to get my safari bookmarks into firefox. Is it possible?
Look for "Safari Bookmark Exporter" on MacUpdate or VersionTracker.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:13 PM

The latest nightly has an interface to 'Find as you type', which is more useful than it sounds.

Firstly this means you have to press 'Apple + F' to bring up the toolbar search field. However, the toolbar has find next, find previous and highlight (all instances) which is very useful.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 03:51 PM

Much to my surprise, the latest nightly also has RSS support built in - handled in very much the same way as OmniWeb.

F_Elz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2004, 05:31 PM

How can I get the RSS feature? I cant find it

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 07:00 PM

Rss is fine but how about fixing the memory leak and scrolling faster but smoother. I know I mailed it to bugzilla. blah blah.

though interesting question is that with safari 2.0 coming out (soon) it seem sthat the gecko rendering engine may have a serious match. otherwise I think that the firefox team is doing a great job.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by F_Elz:
How can I get the RSS feature? I cant find it
When a feed is available, you get a little lightening bolt in the status bar (the image is just a placeholder) - click on it, and it will allow you to bookmark a feed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules