Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A possible idea for Tiger?

A possible idea for Tiger?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 11:49 AM

Would it be possible for Apple to make a keyboard shortcut that would allow one to change songs in iTunes while doing something like playing a game? A lot of Windows computers have keyboards that have buttons that allow people to change songs, etc. Since Apple doesn't have this on their keyboards, would it be possible for them to impliment a system-wide keyboard shortcut that could be executed to change songs without having to be in iTunes? It's a bit of a nuissance waiting for a COD level to load up again only just to change the music.

Anyway, it's something I'd like to see in a future version of OS X. I doubt it will happen, but it'd be nice.

gbarill
Aug 4, 2004, 01:39 PM

well, this isn't bult into mac os, but Synergy is a kick-ass tool for exactly this. you can set system-wide shortcuts to do just about anything in iTunes. i have F7 and F8 (the only non-function keys) on my tibook as prev/next track for itunes. you can also have shortcuts to set the rating of the song, set the shuffle and repeat modes, bring itunes to the front, and more..
best yet, it's only $5 and totally worth it (this was the first piece of shareware i've ever actually purchased)

so if you already know about it and are talking about specifically something that is built into the OS, then sorry to waste your time, but Synergy does what you're talking about already, and it does it better than any of the itunes controllers i've tried..

here's a link:
http://synergy.wincent.com/

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 04:17 PM

Butler also does this and a whole lot more! Plus is free.

However, you wanted to be able to change/pause/play tunes in games. The problem here is that most games take over all the keyboard, so these controllers won't work mostly. I think in Age of Mythology they work and also Warcraft, but I'm not sure.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 03:29 PM

Sorry to the both of you for not having replied yet. gbarill, yes, I was looking for a system implimentation of this. It'd be an overriding key combo sort of how Apple Option Esc. but no menu or anything would be pulled up. The songs would just either go forward or backward/play or pause.

monkeybrain, I've yet to look into that app, but I will. If it does what I'm hoping it does, I'll be a happy cat. Thanks to the both of you for the suggestions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules