Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > making regular backups?

making regular backups?
SUPER_DEFORMED
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hi everyone-

I would like to install some software to allow me to back up two machines onto a Lacie Firewire disk each week. I know Backup can create Disk images of selected folders / drives, but I'm wondering if it makes incremental backups, or just overwrites everything....

Also, is it possible to do this over a network?

any advice would be appreciated....

deformed

ntsc
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 06:13 AM

if your comfortable with the terminal you might want to think about using rsync -a, just open up a Terminal window and type "man rsync", press return to scroll.

this command can be put into a shell scripts and you can tell the cron (the program that performs scheduled tasks) to run it whenever you like. I'm sure there are more user friendly programs but this does have the advantage of being free, already all installed and you get the satisfaction of being a true hacker
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 11:14 AM

Why don't you use LaCie Silverkeeper? It is easy to use, it will make incremental backups and you can schedule backups as well.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by SUPER_DEFORMED:
Hi everyone-

I would like to install some software to allow me to back up two machines onto a Lacie Firewire disk each week. I know Backup can create Disk images of selected folders / drives, but I'm wondering if it makes incremental backups, or just overwrites everything....

Also, is it possible to do this over a network?

any advice would be appreciated....

deformed
I use ChronoSync to do exactly this. Once a day it copies changed files over to a backup drive. Any files I delete, it moves to a "deleted files" folder on the backup drive, and I can manually delete those when I want. That way, if I ever accidentally delete something, I'm SURE I can get it back (until I manually delete it on the backup).

It's like $20, but it's very easy to use, and so it was worth it over rsyncx for me.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 12:06 PM

I've never backed up my computer I know I need to. From what I'm learning here, it's not just the hardware ie. firewire drive, etc. it's the software as well that's important, right?

I'm really confused about what to buy regarding this issue and I've read other posts on the Forum, but could someone spell out the significance of the equipment and or the software?

I'm going to call OWC or Macsales today to get their advice. . .but I prefer the wisdom of this Forum.

I have an ibook G4 and would like to save important Word documents and emails.

thanks

clarat

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2005, 12:41 PM

I'd tend to go with the rsync solution, if only because while it's difficult to configure, once you've configured it you never have to touch it again; it will Just Work.

The biggest flaw in Apple's Unix subsystem, at this point, is that it doesn't mesh well with the Mac side of things. Some of this will be fixed in Tiger -what with the tools being updated to support aliases and resource forks and such- but there needs to be better built-in support for backups and and other things like this. Unix and its tools are stable enough to pull off the It Just Works act that Apple is famous for, but they need a good set of configurators before they can live up to Apple's ease-of-use reputation.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 06:21 PM

Hello Clara ..

With your needs ... you might be a good candidate for .mac backup .... no fuss no muss ...
Plus there are other benefits ..

Apple - .mac Backup
http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_backup.html
Tiger 10.4.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules