Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > A question about splitting sections of video in iMovie

A question about splitting sections of video in iMovie
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:05 AM

I'd like to save some hard drive space when I split a section of video by deleting the second part of the split, but iMovie always retains the full video. Obviously the design is for you to be able to go back and use the full clip if you mess up, but there are many clips that I'll split where I have no need for retaining the part second half of a split clip and don't want that cached video in the first section of the clip. So, is it possible to split video clips in iMovie 5 without retaining all of the original video clip?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 11:09 AM

Yes, you can use the marker function which will break the video into parts. Trash the parts you don't want and empty the iMovie trash.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Yes, you can use the marker function which will break the video into parts. Trash the parts you don't want and empty the iMovie trash.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that? The only options I see that are available under Markers in the menu are Add Bookmark and Add Chapter Marker.

PacHead
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that? The only options I see that are available under Markers in the menu are Add Bookmark and Add Chapter Marker.

APPLE + T

that will split your clip (according to where the pointer/marker is in the clip)

Take the unwanted part of the clip, and hit delete..

It is now in the trash, but not deleted yet.

Click on the trash in imovie and delete it for good.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
APPLE + T

that will split your clip (according to where the pointer/marker is in the clip)

Take the unwanted part of the clip, and hit delete..

It is now in the trash, but not deleted yet.

Click on the trash in imovie and delete it for good.
Ah, that's what I've been doing. However, I can still take the end of the first clip, drag it and expand it to reveal the part that I clipped. That's the problem.

PacHead
Baninated
May 17, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Ah, that's what I've been doing. However, I can still take the end of the first clip, drag it and expand it to reveal the part that I clipped. That's the problem.
Yeah, you're absolutely right, I never noticed that before. I just took a clip in imovie and split it in 2. I trashed the second part, but I can still expand the first part to reveal the part I just trashed.

Perhaps it's not possible to do this then in imovie ? Maybe having a huge drive or drives is the only solution.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Yeah, you're absolutely right, I never noticed that before. I just took a clip in imovie and split it in 2. I trashed the second part, but I can still expand the first part to reveal the part I just trashed.

Perhaps it's not possible to do this then in imovie ? Maybe having a huge drive or drives is the only solution.
I've tried cutting the film by editing it in the clipboard, but still no luck. Seems large drives are the only solution...

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:24 AM

Hmm, another question I have is how to place text into the middle of a clip. I can place text at the beginning of a clip, but I can't find a way to place text into a clip if, for example, the clip is one minute long and I want the text to appear at 30 seconds into the clip and not the beginning. There has to be a way to be able to do this?

*edit* The solution I've come up with is to split the clip and insert the text into the beginning of the second clip, but this seems to be a roundabout way of doing this.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; May 18, 2005 at 02:46 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 04:18 AM

It's called non-destructive editing, folks.

PacHead
Baninated
May 18, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I understand that part, but what is the point of the trash in imovie then ?

"Are you sure you want to permanently delete all items in Trash ?"

"You will not be able to restore, revert, etc. etc. "

Sounds like a huge bug or mistake to me. The trash does not work in imovie, and it doesn't do what it says it's going to do.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 06:12 PM

Not really, though I understand what you're saying.

what's happening is that all the clips you've cut, edited, adjusted, added titles or fades or whatever to, all that *work* is GONE once you delete the stuff in the Trash.

What needs to be communicated, is that any and all work and editing you do is basically done on a COPY of the source material.

Same as how you can delete audio regions at will in Logic, or can edit a photo in iPhoto to your heart's content, but you *still* have the option of reverting to the original weeks later, because the edited versions are only saved as copies.

-s*

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
I like that fact about it, but I'd also like for there to be another option so that I can actually cut some of the video if I choose to without retaining the original if I need to save on some space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules