Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will an iBook or MBP power adaptor work on a ghz Tibook?

Will an iBook or MBP power adaptor work on a ghz Tibook?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 02:57 PM

Somehow my power adaptor cable got a bit mangled and no longer seems to function. For the moment I could use someone's iBook adaptor to charge when need be, but if I go to buy a new adaptor, would one of the adaptors from a MacBook Pro work, or do I need to find one specicially for a ghz Powerbook?
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Mar 25, 2006 at 03:04 PM. )

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2006, 03:19 PM

I know for a fact you can't use a MBP adaptor being magsafe and all but I've been able to use an iBook's adaptor on a Ti and a Albook and vice versa.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jdiddy
I know for a fact you can't use a MBP adaptor being magsafe and all but I've been able to use an iBook's adaptor on a Ti and a Albook and vice versa.
Ah, I completely forgot about magsafe. I've had luck with an iBook adaptor and they look the same, but I was wondering if maybe there were any minor technical difficulties that could pose problems in the long run if I used an iBook adaptor on my Powerbook.

ibook_steve
Mar 25, 2006, 05:07 PM

No. The white iBook adaptor is the same as the titanium and aluminum adaptors. It was not changed. The only difference is the increase in wattage (power). All white iBook adaptors, I believe, are 45 W. For higher end Powerbooks that require the 65 W adaptor, the battery will only charge with the 45 W adaptor when the machine is asleep, because there isn't enough power to power the machine and charge the battery at the same time. So that's the only caveat.

Steve

bpcombs
Banned
Mar 25, 2006, 06:20 PM

I've actually used the older iBook 45 watt adaptors with my Powerbook when I was in a pinch once. It worked just fine. I think the 17 inch machines are the reason they went to 65 watt, correct me if I'm wrong...

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by EpoqueObscuri
I've actually used the older iBook 45 watt adaptors with my Powerbook when I was in a pinch once. It worked just fine. I think the 17 inch machines are the reason they went to 65 watt, correct me if I'm wrong...
My 1.33 Ghz 12 inch PB DVI and my wife's 1 Ghz G4 and 1.2 Ghz G4 iBooks all use the exact same adapter and we swap at will. Specifically it is the 45 watt one.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2006, 07:48 PM

Didn't the iBook G4 get the 65 watt adapter? It's got a G4 now, afterall. The Apple store still has the PowerBook/Ibook adapters as well as the new MacBook Pro adapters. I'm pretty sure they'll have them for a while as there are many PowerPC based portables out there. And besides, the iBook hasn't even been released with an Intel chip or redesigned. The new MacBook Pro power adapters appear to be 85 watt. If the Intel chip is supposed to be better at saving power, why the need for a more powerful AC adapter?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2006, 01:33 AM

I can only report the machines that I have access too: 1.33 Ghz 12 inch PB DVI, 1 Ghz iBook G4 (the second revision), and a 1.2 Ghz iBook G4. They all use the 45W charger.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules