Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPhone seems to have problems

New iPhone seems to have problems
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2009, 12:50 PM

I bought my wife an iPhone last week and she seems to be experiencing problems. A number of times, the screen goes blank and its completely unresponsive. Holding the lock key, and the lock key + the center button (what ever that is called) does nothing. The only thing that seems to bring it back to life is plugging it back into computer.

When that occurs I see there's plenty of battery life and everything appears to work normally again.

Any thoughts on this?

Being so new I'm planning on returning which leads me to my next problem. My local AT&T store tells me I need to return it to Apple, and when I called my apple store, they tell me I need to return it to AT&T. Being an intermittent problem I initially questioned what value having the genius look at it since it will probably be fully functioning at that and it was less then a week old. At that point they said AT&T needs to handle it.

Any suggestions with dealing with AT&T, in theory it would be a quicker turn around time to get them to swap it then to deal with the crowds at apple. Plus the AT&T store is 40 minutes closer the the closest apple store.
~Mike

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2009, 01:11 PM

Update, it seems the holy hell and righteous indignation has paid off, I've been arguing with the AT&T store and the finally succumbed and will exchanged the phone.

I think the logic I used finally won over the manager. Being so new, I could return the phone and not get hit with a restocking fee because its defective and then buy a new phone from them - kind of absurd, going through the phone return/contract cancellation, buying a new phone with a new contract rigamarole so at this point everything is all good.

I'm still curious to know what other's think that the freezing problem could be. I've googled it, and it has been affecting iPhones from day one, but I've not really found any specific reason why or if its widespread.
~Mike

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2009, 03:38 PM

That's quite odd, how Apple referred you to AT&T. Over here, 02 refer you to Apple usually! Nonetheless, glad to here that you got a replacement.

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2009, 07:47 AM

I got the new iPhone and so far it seems problem free but the strange symptom was more or less intermittent so only time will tell. From what I read on apple discussions some believe it could be the case as the cause. Some cases block a sensor near the air phone jack.

I'm not convinced that is the case (no pun intended) because my iPhone case covers up the same area that my wife's did and I have no problem. Additionally being intermittent it doesn't seem to make sense that covering up a sensor would produce intermittent problems. It would either be an issue always or never.

irregardless, AT&T stepped up to the plate and helped me out.
~Mike

revMedia
Apr 4, 2009, 04:32 PM

I had a problem with some weird semi-stuck pixels on mine. It was about 6 months old. I took it in, they guy looked at it and handed me a brand new one. I was very pleased

Forum Links
Forum Rules