Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pages' referencing/footnote abilities?

Pages' referencing/footnote abilities?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 04:11 PM

When I have something to work on, I usually write it in AppleWorks then reference it in Word as it's far easier to do footnotes with Word. What are Pages referencing and footnote capabilities like?

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 04:17 PM

Wrong forum!

I've used Pages to complete my dissertation and found it's footnote features absolutely fine.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
Wrong forum!

I've used Pages to complete my dissertation and found it's footnote features absolutely fine.
Wrong forum?

Excellent to hear that it handles footnotes fine. So long as it does Chicago-style endnotes and footnoes in an easy to use way, I'll advise my friend to pick up a copy. Much like myself, he doesn't like using Word all that much.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 11:37 PM

It doesn't auto format for certain styles, but it is pretty easy to create footnotes.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine
It doesn't auto format for certain styles, but it is pretty easy to create footnotes.
One problem I found with using section endnotes for a references section is that you can't have more than one reference in the text to a given endnote without entering it manually. This means that anything which changes the number of that endnote will be messed up.

If you want to use Pages to write technical papers it is not ideal. I have requested Apple to change the way these are handled. Maybe if enough people ask for it it might appear in Pages '07.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
Wrong forum!

You're 21 and just finished a dissertation?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2006, 06:18 PM

I haven't used Pages, but you might tell your friend to check out Mellel, which is cheaper and becoming the preferred academic word processor, due in part to its footnote handling capabilities.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
I haven't used Pages, but you might tell your friend to check out Mellel, which is cheaper and becoming the preferred academic word processor, due in part to its footnote handling capabilities.
Thank you very much. Having looked at the program, it seems to be much more suited for his needs than Pages.

Forum Links
Forum Rules