Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Exchange Information Needed

Exchange Information Needed
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2008, 01:05 PM

My IT guy isn't much help. I want to set up Exchange on my iPhone. Where in Outlook can I get the proper information to input into my phone? I've tried several times, but the account on my iPhone won't work. I think it's the Domain\User information that is causing the problem. Also, should I have SSL on or off? Thanks.

Sinecure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2008, 04:22 PM

As long as you can find out the name of the server you are on, it should be able to figure out many of the settings for you. Keep in mind that you will need to enter your name ExActLy as it appears in Active Directory - caps count on the iPhone. Certain syncing things don't work right if you don't put the caps in correctly (you'll have issues with meeting invitations).

For instance, I'm on a server called Redmond. My username is:

Redmond\Sinecure

My "description" is [email protected]

SSL is On. Email is [email protected] (don't bother trying that - I'm making up the "ourdomain" part). Server is mail.ourdomain.com

Keep in mind that once you set it up successfully, its going to ask you if you want it to overwrite your calendar and contacts on the phone. If you are currently syncing to MobileMe for something personal, those will be wiped out on the phone. Its a one or the other deal, you can't have Exchange calendar/contacts plus non-exchange ones.

Also, one surprise for me when I set it up was that it asked me for a passcode instantly upon successful set up. I mistakenly thought it was asking once again for my Exchange password so I entered that (its long and complex). Ooops. What it was asking for was a turn-on passcode for the device, which only needs to be 4 characters and I like to keep it simple so it doesn't take me too long to turn on the phone.

Hope that helps.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks. How do I find out what my name is in Active Directory? I have Smith, Bob for Outlook as well as a username such as "snka300" for our log in.

Cold Warrior
Jul 30, 2008, 02:36 AM

It's normally your login name

Forum Links
Forum Rules