Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Selling 3G iPhone question

Selling 3G iPhone question
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 11:32 AM

My sister got me in touch with a guy who wants to buy my 3G iPhone. He said he's with T-Mobile for a few more months and then switching to AT&T. He said he was going to swap out the SIM and should be good to go. I didn't think that's right, but want to sell my phone. He called me back a little bit later and said he talked to someone who mentioning unlocking the phone. I know that T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequencies, so he wouldn't have 3G service, but would the phone still work as a phone and as a wifi device? I haven't put my phone on Craigslist, so I'm not too worried, but wouldn't mind selling it sooner than later (we talked about $175 for it, it's a 16GB).

He said something about me calling AT&T to unlock my 3G. That doesn't sound right either.

-Q-
Jun 28, 2010, 11:43 AM

AT&T won't unlock your phone, even if you've fulfilled your contractual agreement with them. Sucks, but that's how they are. Unfortunately, Apple won't help you either. If you have any other phone, you can call AT&T after your contract is done and have them give you the unlock code. Just not the iPhone.

And swapping in a T-mobile SIM won't work. The phone is carrier locked and to be used on T-mobile will require an unlock be done. Some Googling will point you in the right direction for that.

Even if it's not unlocked, it will still work as a WiFi device (iPod Touch, essentially). You just can't make calls on a cellular network unless you have an AT&T SIM or an unlocked phone.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll let the guy know. I will try to sell it was an iPod touch.

Muffiee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 PM

I'd say you could deff get more for it than $175 aswell

I sold a faulty iPhone 3G 8gb for $150 so a fully working one will go for a lot more, there are a lot of people out there at the mo going crazy buying iPhones past and present with money to burn.

Good luck!

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2010, 02:50 PM

If you sell the iPhone 3G to anyone, they can get an ATT month to month contract, they are not obligated to be locked into a 2 year plan, since your iphone 3G itself is no longer subsidized by ATT. A friend recently bought a used 3G and when he took it to the ATT store, they told him he can get a standard month to month plan.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2010, 06:53 PM

The month to month plan is anything but standard, as 99% of subscribers are on contract.

Heck it is not even a plan, as it carries no obligations for you to pay for the next month, or them to maintain the level of service constant, or the level of pay affordable (I am looking at you, iPad).

Prepaid non-guaranteed service is more accurate.

As a buyer, you can easily get a 16GB 3GS for $210. No way you should pay a penny over $150 for a 3G.

As a prospect iP4 owner, it behooves you to sell your used 3GS at an attractive price for 3 reasons: (1) decrease the market for conflict minerals, (2) prevent these people from opting for an iP4 and sucking the anemic production line dry, and (3) probably one less suicide at Foxconn.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Jul 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM. )

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muffiee View Post
I'd say you could deff get more for it than $175 aswell

I sold a faulty iPhone 3G 8gb for $150 so a fully working one will go for a lot more, there are a lot of people out there at the mo going crazy buying iPhones past and present with money to burn.

Good luck!
Thanks. The original guy never called me back. I need to take some photos and post it, but a 3 month old keeps getting in the way.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
(1) decrease the market for conflict minerals
Learn something new every day. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2010, 03:35 AM

<snip>
( Last edited by Andy8; Jul 20, 2010 at 05:01 AM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Learn something new every day. . .
And manufacturers seem to be heeding my advice:
Apple, Intel-Backed Rules on Conflict Minerals Stall Exports - Bloomberg

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2011, 03:32 PM

I unlocked and carrier-freed my 3G, running on T-Mobile.

You only get EDGE, though, no 3G data, because of different frequencies.

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2011, 03:39 PM

Hold on to that dataplan, since there's a small chance that AT&T will buy T-Mobile, and then there would be a small chance that AT&T will let you use 3G with that T-Mobile SIM and same payment plan.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Hold on to that dataplan, since there's a small chance that AT&T will buy T-Mobile, and then there would be a small chance that AT&T will let you use 3G with that T-Mobile SIM and same payment plan.
Yeah, I'm waiting.

Right now, the phone is on a 500min / unlimited texting / unlimited data plan for $59.
I'd love to bring that over to AT&T.

-t

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2011, 04:00 PM

If we are being realistic about ATT, I would guess this is what would happen:
ATT will let T-Mobile users port over their current plans to ATT. But if they want any extra service not provided in the your T-mobile plan, they will either ask you to get a new ATT plan, or a new ATT sim card, which again, will require you to get a new plan. They did this when Cingular bought out the old ATT wireless. My brother had this great old ATT unlimited plan, but when Cingular merged with it, he could not get a new Cingular phone unless he changed his SIM card which mean changing to a new 2 -year plan. He stayed on the his plan by buying used old ATT phones that worked with his old SIM card.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2011, 05:14 PM

The problem is that your brother wanted a new phone, subsidised by AT&T+Cingular for-profit investors.
Better stay on old phone, same service plan that does not relinquish money like a <insert funny simile here>.

Forum Links
Forum Rules