Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I knew M$ loves copying the Mac OS, but this one really got to me

I knew M$ loves copying the Mac OS, but this one really got to me
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2005, 02:45 AM

I was working at an XP terminal yesterday and on a subconscious whim I pressed the shift key five times. Behold, I heard an unfamiliar sound and saw a dialog box asking me if I wished to enable Sticky Keys! Sticky Keys. Not only did Windows' coders find it necessary to copy the functionality, they had to rip off the service's name, the way it is enabled, and even the type of alert sound used when it is enabled. I then perused Windows' accessibility control panel and noticed that they had to rip off Mouse Keys - calling it the same name. I really shouldn't be surprised by the degree to which M$ has found it necessary to ape the Mac so closely, feature for feature. I thankfully use Windows infrequently, so it's possible this has been around for quite awhile. I don't remember seeing it in 95, however. Anyone else incensed by this finding?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 02:49 AM

Now, is this supposed to be a big surprise?

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 02:56 AM

When we're talking about accessibility features, I think it's best if they're activated via the same method and referred to by the same name.

But maybe that's just me.

*shrug*

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 03:01 AM

what are sticky keys?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 03:12 AM

these things used to drive me crazy when i would play games and hit shift repeatedly. middle of a match and bam "WOULD YOU LIKE TO ENABLE STICKY KEYS!!" that was until i figured out how to disable it. oh and back on topic don't be suprised when longhorn has a dock..
http://www.mafia-designs.com

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 03:12 AM

Sticky keys are where you can just press a modifier key instead of holding it down. Good for people with hand disability's.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 04:24 AM

Both Apple and Microsoft are in compliance of guide lines set out by some orginization for access for disabled ppl, something some one else pointed out a couple years ago when it was first noticed.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2005, 10:04 AM

when i was watching that microsoft ces video. the media center pcs had a spinning wait animation that looks surprisingly like the spinning line animation on mac os.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 06:56 PM

This was defined by CUA (Common User Access), started by IBM in the late '70s, and polished throughout the '80s. There are addenums every couple of years, but it's been pretty stable since about '94. The names for all accessability enhancements for the disabled are set so no matter which OS you use, you can search for the same names and (theoretically) get viable hits in the help systems (these days more often than not).

Mac users are just used to all software actually following it, windows software was hit or miss until Win98SE "broke" a few workarounds most non-compliant software used.

Forum Links
Forum Rules