Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > "Bots Behaving Badly"... Try this in UT2004... too funny

"Bots Behaving Badly"... Try this in UT2004... too funny
nagromme
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 03:45 PM

If you have a black sense of humor, you may enjoy this method for making UT2004's bots go off the deep end without looking back:

1. Under Settings>Input>Speech Binder, define a key for "Hold This Position." (This will make ALL teammates come to a certain spot--unlike the "V" menu command which lacks an "All" option for that particular order.)

2. Fire up an Instant Action (or LAN) game of Onslaught with these settings: Friendly Fire 1, and Use Bot Roster with 16 bots on your team. (To mess around without really playing, just leave the other team empty.) I recommend Arctic Stronghold: it has lots of vehicles close at hand, and a nice empty "lawn" outside your home base.

3. Run out to a nearby open space while some of the bots get in vehicles. Don't let them get to the first node--call them back by pressing your "Hold Position" key. (Sometimes you have to hit it again to gather some strays.)

Your vehicle-driving bots will now turn on each other in a demolition derby to get to that one exact spot. I'm amazed at how aggressive and rude they get, ramming each other and diving the Raptor at the ground. The real losers will be the pedestrians of course!

Now that's NOT good teamwork

As vehicles get destroyed, you can get the bots to use new ones by releasing them from orders (do "V" > Search and Destroy). Then tell them to "Hold" again.

(I'm firmly against violence and tend to have my gore turned off... but it IS funny to see the bots turn on each other! My friend and I found numerous variations... try a one-team Team Deathmatch in Gael and tell all the bots to Hold the center island. They form a "human pyramid" but they also tend to shove each other into the pit!)
nagromme

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2004, 05:24 PM

Hahah. I can't wait to try this tonight. Thanks for that!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:

I'm firmly against violence and tend to have my gore turned off...
LOL! You mean you are against gore. If you were against violence, you'd be playing another game.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 01:51 PM

Point taken--although it's not as simple as that of course.

I'm more against violence than gore--in real life--while in games it's reversed, but I but I still oppose both Just not enough not to play--violence in games dates back to space invaders. And my main objection relates to how the violence is presented: I find the challenges in a game like UT fun, but I don't think it's "wow cool!" when someone meets death. And that's how I hear kids talking about it, which sickens me, and that's how the game does present it. Some weird macho thing I guess--and it's movies and the rest of culture too, I am aware.

Of course, opposing violence in games is one factor, not my whole stance in regards to games. I have a black sense of humor, as should already be clear And taking some of what happens in UT as overdone parody makes it more acceptable. "FENDER BENDER!"--now how serious is that to be taken? By adults at least--not very.

I also applaud the green hologram effects in UT 2003/04 that make every "death" into a simulation. That doesn't reduce gore--that happens anyway if you choose, and then they could have just made the bodies fade or vanish when your back is turned. Rather, it reduces the violence itself. It goes nicely with the unlimited-lives rule, and with the idea that UT is a sport rather than a war.

As for the inevitable question of how violent games affect people... sure they do, as do movies and everything else. Thus, I wouldn't let my kids play UT, and would teach them that killing is a sad thing, not a fun thing. But I'm a big boy now myself And UT2004 is a great game behind the surface violence.

So I'll add another little tip: my settings for minimum violence in UT. Even if that doesn't fit your personal tastes, it also helps make the game palatable to family members who see you play!

1. No Gore of course. (I wish 2k4 had a mutator like the old UT one, "Disintegration," which removed even the bodies falling over, and replaced them with a cool energy effect.)

2. Use Bot Roster and set the bots (and you) to be all robots--literally. This removes the pain screams--one of the most offensive violence effects in my book. It also counts out some of the sillier sexist stereotypes--although UT has already improved since the first UT in that regard.

3. No Taunts--or at least, no Auto-Taunts. That shuts the bots up just fine for single-player.

4. If you also wish to reduce the gleeful TALK of death, turn Announcements off and set HUD fonts at the smallest.

Your grandmother may still balk at the sound of machine-gun fire, but it's a start

In mixed company I also often set up games using only energy-weapons--not the more-realistic bullets and rockets.

This is not just to avoid getting flak (?) from relatives--it also softens a statement I don't wish to make: that violence IS fun. I have no problem with enjoying UT, but there's a lot of it that I don't think the world needs me to be promoting. I enjoy UT in spite of those things.

And yes, I'll turn gore on sometimes and use a random mix of characters for the sheer absurdity of it. It bothers me that I'm not as offended by it as I was at first, but that's what it means to be desensitized. It doesn't make me enjoy real-life gore--or even movie gore--but I do feel I have lost something small but real, and that's a shame.

On the flip-side, I have gained the ability to laugh with friends at my bots driving over one another. Life is full of little trade-offs
( Last edited by nagromme; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:36 PM. )
nagromme

jcadam
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 02:58 AM

I've always been a fan of the Rainbow Six series (and the rest of the realistic tactical shooters) of games.
They are certainly violent, but they don't portray violence as 'sport', as does UT, Quake, etc. At least the violence in UT isn't real though, the ancient Romans were far worse.

Having said that, I turn my gore setting up to the max in UT2004.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Forum Links
Forum Rules