Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > what is typical "real" (i.e not VM) memory usage for iPhoto '11?

what is typical "real" (i.e not VM) memory usage for iPhoto '11?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 21, 2010, 07:01 PM

The title says all. After a little full-screen use and some editing, I see "real" RAM use of iPhoto '11 balloon to 600 MB or more. I'm wondering whether others seem this as well. I'm running OS X 10.6.5 on a MacBook Pro unibody i5 (mid-2010).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 07:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about it until you start to use virtual memory, which would suggest a memory leak. Using free RAM as a means to cache and improve performance is fair game, so long as it is available and not depended on.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I wouldn't worry about it until you start to use virtual memory, which would suggest a memory leak. Using free RAM as a means to cache and improve performance is fair game, so long as it is available and not depended on.
Well, I did start to use virtual memory (i.e. pageouts), but just increased my RAM from 4 GB to 8. I'm still curious as to whether others see this.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2010, 10:17 PM

If you recently upgraded or you're constantly importing Faces is likely the culprit.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
If you recently upgraded or you're constantly importing Faces is likely the culprit.
Interesting. I do import a lot. Why would a recent upgrade be a factor? Has Faces changed in iPhoto '11?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2010, 11:31 PM

Well, when I installed iPhoto '11 on my Macs, it scanned through the photos again for Faces changes.

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2010, 11:01 AM

My iPhoto 11 (9.1) with a 15,000 photo collection is using using at this moment about 300MB real memory.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 22, 2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MacAssemble View Post
My iPhoto 11 (9.1) with a 15,000 photo collection is using using at this moment about 300MB real memory.
How many events do you have?

Does it use 300MB of real RAM even after using it in full-screen mode, after removing red eye and performing other editing operations?

Forum Links
Forum Rules