Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Skinny 21.5" iMac RAM

New Skinny 21.5" iMac RAM
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2012, 12:56 AM

So as far as I can tell, these iMacs DO have removable RAM, but it looks like a custom module which means if you want to upgrade later on, MAYBE an Apple Store will do it (probably not), an AASP could do it, or more than likely OWC will build a compatible module.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/k2012_02/archives/2012/11/aa_imac_aeaaa_1.html

Its a pretty big RAM module compared to most recent ones. Looks a bit like an old SIMM, except I think they've combined two SO-DIMMs to make it so it might be a SO-QUIMM.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2012, 04:30 AM

I'm interested in knowing which memory is the correct one for 27 iMac?
I believe it's the second small package... since the hatch on back of the iMac is small.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2012, 05:16 AM

I assume since there is a hatch that the 27" will use off the shelf RAM modules. Won't know until they ship I guess.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 30, 2012, 06:30 AM

27" is 99% to use DDR3 SO-DIMMs.

The teardown site seems slashdotted.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

MacAssemble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2012, 10:40 AM

What you are used to is called a low profile Sodimm, but around the year 2000 or so, the full height double Sodimm modules were VERY common. Here is a photo I took comparing the 2 variations. Note: For size reference I took the picture of the RAM modules sitting on an Apple Magic Trackpad.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2012, 11:42 AM

Do it yourself for $119.00 (including 16GB RAM):

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1600DDR3I16P/

PeterSys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2012, 03:27 PM

These modules are two of the usual size.
I have even older DDR2-SoDIMMs by hand. They have the same layout and probably same size.
Two lines each with 4 BGA-RAM-chips.
In the pic I can see clearly the two pairs of clamps holding the modules.
Nothing exiting to me.

P.S. The new design of the mainboard makes me wonder how link will it take to see a clever casemod.
One could make a cut for a backdoor. Common thing for notebookusers. ;-)
Apple could do this by their own using a magnet latch.Tooled with the same precision they make the iPhone5 body you will not be able to see the cut at the first sight.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2012, 09:28 AM

Apparently the 21.5" has two standard SO-DIMMs. They are stacked one over the other so looked like a single giant one. On the downside, the display is glued in like an iPad. Thats going to be a massive pain in the ass for their techs. Not cool Apple.

Also, Apple isn't including the socket for the SSD on the board unless you order one with an SSD or Fusion Drive.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 04:58 PM

Except that you can't order any model with an SSD.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2012, 05:15 PM

So you can't. And only the faster one has Fusion as an option. Seems a bit odd.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 07:18 PM

Yes, very odd considering that it won't be a snap to add drives. But you can get a 768GB flash storage drive on the 27" for $1300 (!!).

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 08:03 PM

It seems that Apple very much wants to push buyers of iMacs toward Fusion drives. They work on proprietary methods and probably don't cost Apple much more than an HDD so very profitable. And from Apple's point of view, far preferable to putting in a Samsung SSD!

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2012, 03:45 AM

The Fusion Drive requires installing an SSD, most likely a Samsung. Again I find it odd its not a CTO option on the entry level.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 04:12 AM

Why do you find this odd?

It has been standard practice for years for Apple to make "advanced" options configurable on the higher-end models only, at least at first.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2012, 07:24 AM

It's not just that the screen assembly has to come out on the 21.5in model. Once it's out, the RAM is behind the logic board, so THAT has to come out as well. That is SO seriously arse about face that you really can only conclude that Apple is saying to independent repairs shops, close up, lock the door and find a new profession because this is how it's going to be from now on.

Having the lcd bonded to the front glass and that assembly glued into place also means two things, 1) the whole assembly will hardly ever go back in as cleanly as it came out of the factory and 2) the downside of a small mistake is a new massively expensive panel assembly on a machine that only came in for a simple RAM upgrade.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why do you find this odd?
It has been standard practice for years for Apple to make "advanced" options configurable on the higher-end models only, at least at first.
Just that I think SSD/Fusion should be an option on any Mac these days. Apple should be trying to mainstream this tech a bit more.

P
Dec 3, 2012, 01:14 AM

I think they will mainstream it on desktops, just not quite as rapidly as we'd like. Look for Fusion Drive as CTO on everything and standard in the 2014/Broadwell timeframe.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules