Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone upgrade eligibility...

iphone upgrade eligibility...
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 04:15 PM

dial *639# (from this page AT&T iPhone News | Facebook)

you'll get an automated message back stating your eligibility. I bought a 3GS on the day they were announced and I'm apparently eligible to upgrade with a 2-yr commitment, and they'll even waive the $18 fee.

Some 3GS owners who didn't get in as early as me are getting messages saying they aren't eligible until mid-2011, etc.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 04:34 PM

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

Vague. Is this a renewal of my current contract (unlimited data)? And does this mean I'm paying the "early upgrade" price? or the new/eligible price?

-Q-
Jun 7, 2010, 04:38 PM

If you have an unlimited contract currently, you can upgrade to the new iphone with that contract, according to the AT&T docs. But if you want to tether, you have to use the new $25 plan plus the $20/month tethering fee.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 04:38 PM

Never understood why iPhone owners should get to upgrade before everyone else, even though they sign a 2 year agreement.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2010, 09:29 PM

Their website also has the same verbiage. But they do NOT yet list the new iPhone. And Apple mentions on the front page that the iPhone 4 goes for $200 "for qualified customers only." But nobody says who a "qualified customer" is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jun 7, 2010, 09:38 PM

I got a full discount is not available...We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price.....

New info on the upgrade-eligible vs partial/2011 vs full price. AT&T announces no-commitment / early update pricing for iPhone 4

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

Vague. Is this a renewal of my current contract (unlimited data)? And does this mean I'm paying the "early upgrade" price? or the new/eligible price?
It is a bit vague at this point, but that language seems to apply to what ATT is calling the "upgrade eligible" price. I found some info at this link:

AT&T Media Kit | iPhone 4

They talk about that "upgrade eligible" date, and that people who are eligible for the better pricing have a upgrade eligible date between now and the end of the year. I bought my 3GS 6/8/09. Wouldn't that put my upgrade date at 6/8/11? Now I'm confusing myself.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2010, 07:03 AM

My "upgrade eligible" date is in February of next year. I guess I'll wait a few months before I get a new phone, rather than pay that much extra.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 09:28 AM

Glenn, did you see somewhere (on the att site) that said your actual upgrade eligible date? I'm looking to confuse matters for myself even further. (haha) Thanks.

Andrew88088
Jun 8, 2010, 09:49 AM

From Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T:
Q: Let's say I already have an iPhone, but I still am on a contract for my previous iPhone. When am I able to upgrade to the iPhone 4 for the discounted price?

Siegel: iPhone customers eligible for an upgrade between now and the end of the year can get the discounted price on the device. We've accelerated upgrade eligibility for iPhone customers so they can experience the new device as soon as possible.

So this means I can get the 16GB for $199 and the 32GB for $299, correct?

Siegel: Correct.

During the keynote Jobs said that if your contract ends any time during 2010, you can get a new iPhone 4 for the discounted price if you re-sign a new contract. Is this true?

Siegel: If you are an iPhone customer who is upgrade-eligible this year, you can get the best price. Eligibility may or may not coincide with the end of your contract. It depends on your individual situation.
The skinny on upgrading to the iPhone 4 (Q&A) | Signal Strength - CNET News

Andrew88088
Jun 8, 2010, 09:54 AM

Before the official announcement, it said in my account that I could upgrade at a higher discounted price and a full upgrade would be available on 11/18/2010. Now it just says I'm eligible to receive a discounted iPhone upgrade. I signed up and got the 3G S when it was released.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 04:02 PM

So. I keep thinking about this.

People who are 3GS owners, did you get into a 3GS early or did you fully "amortize" your phone (2 year)? I'm thinking this might be the factor in whether or not people who are 3GS owners are getting the cheaper price on the new iphone.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 04:20 PM

I signed a 2 year with my 3GS, at the subsidized price.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 04:22 PM

what about the contract you had before the 3GS? thats' what I'm getting at.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 04:28 PM

None, I had the first gen iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 04:53 PM

ok..

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
so you got into a 3GS completely free and clear, and got this message.

I got into a 3GS completely free and clear (my original iphones contract was completely up. I never had a 3GS), and got your message, but it said I don't have to pay the $18 upgrade fee.

Coworker buddy of mine got a 3GS on launch date, but 4 months ahead of his upgrade date, and got the ugly "wait til 2011" message.

Another coworker of mine is in a 3G right now, contract basically completely done, and got the same message as me (no $18 fee).

Another coworker of mine is in a 3GS that he's had for like 6 months, got into it completely free and clear in terms of contract, and got the same message as yours.

So far, my theory about whether or not your contract was fully paid when you got the 3GS seems to pan out. Not sure about the $18 upgrade fee...

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 08:25 PM

The Engadget post that I’m too lazy to find and link too said that AT&T uses some top-secret magic formula to determine your eligibility date, and 2 of the big factors are how long you’ve been a customer and how much your typical monthly payment is.

In other words if they’ve gotten a lot of money out of you and/or you’ve stuck with them through the laughter and the tears, you get extra consideration.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 09:05 PM

Dialed *639# and I'm eligible! Using an old nokia 6061 in the meantime (since I sold my 3GS) and I'm currently having iWithdrawals™.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
The Engadget post that I’m too lazy to find and link too said that AT&T uses some top-secret magic formula to determine your eligibility date, and 2 of the big factors are how long you’ve been a customer and how much your typical monthly payment is.

In other words if they’ve gotten a lot of money out of you and/or you’ve stuck with them through the laughter and the tears, you get extra consideration.
iPhone 4 guide: preview, pricing, availability -- Engadget

It's important to note that your upgrade eligibility date is not necessarily your contract expiration date -- in fact, the two are only tangentially related -- so you can't assume that buying a phone from AT&T since June 24, 2008 takes you out of the game. The way AT&T calculates upgrade eligibility dates is a closely-guarded secret that involves your monthly spending, the length of time you've been with the carrier and other mysterious factors, but we've been told by an AT&T spokesman that iPhone customers who spend at least $99 a month can generally expect upgrade eligibility to come every 12 to 18 months. In this case, though, the company has pulled ahead any existing iPhone customer who'd previously had an upgrade date in 2010 so that they can get the best $199 / $299 pricing on the iPhone 4.

You may also be required to pay what AT&T calls an "upgrade fee" of $18. Like the upgrade eligibility date, the way AT&T determines whether you've got to shell it out isn't publicly divulged; we're just told that it involves the length of the contract, the customer's payment history, monthly spend, and so on.
the dark magic of the ATT upgrade eligibility date!

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2010, 10:02 AM

I'm eligible for the lower pricing and the $18 fee is waived, according to AT&T. My contract is just about up or it actually may already be...I have to check. I signed a new contract the day the 3G was released.

I don't want to start a new thread for this simple question so I'll ask here. When you pre-order an iPhone through Apple does it typically arrive on the phone's release date or does it ship on that date? I know with Amazon they time it so the product arrives on the release day. I've been wondering because standing in line for a few hours is getting really old.

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Angelo78 View Post
I'm eligible for the lower pricing and the $18 fee is waived, according to AT&T. My contract is just about up or it actually may already be...I have to check. I signed a new contract the day the 3G was released.

I don't want to start a new thread for this simple question so I'll ask here. When you pre-order an iPhone through Apple does it typically arrive on the phone's release date or does it ship on that date? I know with Amazon they time it so the product arrives on the release day. I've been wondering because standing in line for a few hours is getting really old.
On release date, yes. I ordered a 3GS and got it on the specified date. The ship notices from FedEx look a little crazy but you will get it when you're supposed to. It looks like FedEx gets the boxes early and holds them at their last distribution site, and releases them on the date they're supposed to be delivered.

Do the pre-order. Standing in line is for nerds. haha.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
On release date, yes. I ordered a 3GS and got it on the specified date. The ship notices from FedEx look a little crazy but you will get it when you're supposed to. It looks like FedEx gets the boxes early and holds them at their last distribution site, and releases them on the date they're supposed to be delivered.

Do the pre-order. Standing in line is for nerds. haha.
That's great...thanks scaught! Yeah, I'm done with the line game. I did it for the first iPhone and the 3G but no more. that....LOL!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2010, 07:34 PM

AT&T posted a quick video regarding upgrade eligibility and pricing:

AT&T posts data plans and upgrades video for iPhone 4 | TiPb

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post

It's magical®

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's magical®
You're magical®

(I'm gonna click submit reply even though I'm not sure what this post means)

(thanks for stopping by!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules