Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Magic Trackpad

Magic Trackpad (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
 
Thanks.

As you can imagine, as a keyboard player and someone who's been using a Mac for over twenty years, I'm always grateful for helpful hints.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
The Magic Mouse is hands down the most usable, most comfortable mouse I've ever used - and also a huge @ Rob, with the "I've read books" comment.
When reality beats satire.
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:41 AM
 
I don't rotate my wrist at all with the Magic Mouse. The hand moves left and right, but the movement is done by the fingers.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Depends on the task at hand. When I'm roaming on the internet in bed I'm very glad not to use the mouse for the few and limited movements I'll probably be making.
Limited in scope, but not necessarily speed?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
 
Phileas, let's not gang up on him.

You know what they say about men with small hands (and big engines)…
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Limited in scope, but not necessarily speed?
Not sure what you mean. I'm browsing the web, maybe using iTunes. Don't need to do anything quickly. Honestly, the keyboard comes into play way more, with shortcuts and such.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:55 AM
 
Your movements in bed are limited in scope but not necessarily in speed. Simple but effective.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 10:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your movements in bed are limited in scope but not necessarily in speed. Simple but effective.
Still not following. How is this any different than with the magic trackpad?
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:04 AM
 
INNUENDO allcaps
     
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
INNUENDO allcaps
Lawlz. Palmela
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
INNUENDO allcaps
I didn't think your standards for funny had gone that low. It doesn't even read well.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
 
Jill
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
The Magic Mouse is hands down the most usable, most comfortable mouse I've ever used
OMG, what kind of crappy mice have you used before

I agree with Rob, the Magic Mouse is not very ergonomic. Why else would there be products like this ?



http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/m...ty-silicone-g/

One of the reasons why I decided against it.

-t
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I agree with Rob, the Magic Mouse is not very ergonomic. Why else would there be products like this ?
BECAUSE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HOLD MICE DIFFERENTLY.

Are you getting it yet?
     
ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
 
Have you guys read any books on this? It's hard to take your opinions seriously until you let us know.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
BECAUSE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HOLD MICE DIFFERENTLY.

Are you getting it yet?
You should find out whether or not he's read books. I hear it makes the difference.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
BECAUSE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HOLD MICE DIFFERENTLY.

Are you getting it yet?
WTF ?

Can I have an opinion ?

IN MY F*CKING HUMBLE OPINION, it's not ergonomic. Others agree.

Some people like things up their asses. So what.

Thanks for playing.

-t
     
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
 
Once you install MagicPrefs, and get used to the pain, the Magic Mouse isn't all that bad.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ?

Can I have an opinion ?

IN MY F*CKING HUMBLE OPINION, it's not ergonomic. Others agree.

Some people like things up their asses. So what.
WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT WHAT I STICK UP MY BUM IS ENTIRELY MY OWN BUSINESSoh wai
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:23 PM
 
Also:

YOUR HOLDING IT RONG:

     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
 
NO, I'M DOING IT WRIGHT

[allcaps]

-t
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
 
...and they say the forum is dead.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
 
If you guys keep this up they are going to have to move this Magic Mouse discussion over to the Political/War Lounge.

My 2 cents ...

1. People have preferences for how they like to grip a mouse. Some people prefer to "palm" it in their entire hand. Others like to just use their "fingers" and keep their wrist flat on the table. Neither approach is inherently "better" or "worse".

2. If you are in the "palm" camp ... the Magic Mouse will drive you insane. That doesn't mean it's "not ergonomic" ... it's just "not ergonomic for your preferred method of holding a mouse".

3. If you are in the "fingers" camp ... the Magic Mouse is more up your alley. However, that doesn't mean that everyone has to find this a comfortable way of using a mouse.

Personally, I'm in the "fingers" camp. I also have my tracking speed set very high so I can use the Magic Mouse all day quite comfortably. I just use light movements with my fingers ... and the mouse never moves more than an inch or so from it's starting position in any direction. IOW ... my wrist never moves from its spot on the table. This is just the way I like to use a mouse which is why "ambidextrous" or symmetrical mice have always appealed to me. I've used a mouse like this all day every day ... for years. And I suppose I've never experienced any discomfort or "carpal tunnel" like symptoms because my fingers do most of the work and my wrist hardly bends at all. The Magic Mouse is even more comfortable for me in this regard because it is low profile. I can easily rest my fingers on it with my wrist on the table without bending my wrist up. No stress. No strain. I used to use a Kensington BT Pilot Mouse previously and that thing was like Mt. Everest compared to the Magic Mouse. I ditched it as soon as the Magic Mouse was released and have not looked back.


OAW

PS: The "hockey puck" mouse sucked for one simple reason IMO. Being round you couldn't tell which was was "up" simply by feel. And the cord that plugged into the keyboard tended to turn it sideways. Other than that, I found it very comfortable to hold and use with my fingers because it was nice and low profile. I suspect those of us who like the Magic Mouse probably liked this particular aspect of the "hockey puck" mouse even if overall we thought it was fundamentally flawed.

OAW
     
Phileas
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why on earth would you hold a MM like this?

(Just keeping the flame alive)
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
 
I absolutely love my Magic Mouse: I scroll through long text documents (.tex code, pdfs) all the time and rubber band scrolling that works on the whole surface is just amazing. In fact, I put my perfectly good Mighty Mouse in my desk drawer and got a Magic Mouse when it came out.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jul 28, 2010 at 02:05 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
In fact, I put my perfectly good Mighty Mouse in my desk drawer and got a Mighty Mouse when it came out.


Originally Posted by OAW View Post
PS: The "hockey puck" mouse sucked for one simple reason IMO. Being round you couldn't tell which was was "up" simply by feel.
The original one was that way. But the version that came with the fruity iMacs had an indentation on the button. I liked that one.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
 
@Laminar
Replace the second Mighty with Magic.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your Anus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
 
I don't like the magic mouse because it doesn't have any mappable buttons. I like to put exposé shortcuts on my mouse. To the best of my knowledge that's not possible on a magic mouse. Is it?

I like the Mighty Mouse, but every one I've owned has ended up with a broken trackball within a year, so it also earns a big MEH from me.

I like my $20 Logitech Mouse just fine.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
(Just keeping the flame alive)
OH BURN [allcaps]

-t
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 02:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I don't like the magic mouse because it doesn't have any mappable buttons. I like to put exposé shortcuts on my mouse. To the best of my knowledge that's not possible on a magic mouse. Is it?

I like the Mighty Mouse, but every one I've owned has ended up with a broken trackball within a year, so it also earns a big MEH from me.

I like my $20 Logitech Mouse just fine.
write a book about this. I would like to read it. Thank you.
     
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 02:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
If you guys keep this up they are going to have to move this Magic Mouse discussion over to the Political/War Lounge.
I heard Obama enjoys his Magic Mouse.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
 
     
Demonhood
Administrator
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Land of the Easily Amused
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
 
Thumb trackballs are weird. I prefer this one - Trackman® Marble®
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by scaught View Post
write a book about this. I would like to read it. Thank you.
It would allow you to argue from AUTHORITAY.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Thumb trackballs are weird. I prefer this one - Trackman® Marble®
I tried that one for a month before getting the thumb ball version. I could never get used to the design. Each his own
     
Andrew88088
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
 
I just picked up the Trackpad today. I bought a BT mouse last year to use with my MB because I got sick of using the trackpad all the time. But I think part of my disdain for it was because I couldn't move it where I wanted and was always having to reach to use it. Also my MB is 3 years old, so it doesn't support any of the new gestures, which I've been wanting to try. I was sort of torn between the Magic Mouse and the Trackpad, but I figured I'd give the trackpad a whirl since I already have a mouse (albeit, not a Magic one .

So far, so good! I think the ability to place it where I want makes a huge difference. It feels much better to use than the one on my MacBook. I like the option of having a "right" click assigned to one of the bottom corners, even though I currently use double tap for that I splurged and got the BT keyboard to go with it, to pair with a new display for my desk at home. They seem to work really well together, side by side.

I'll give it about a week and re-evaluate and decide if maybe I should go for the MM.
     
schalliol
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Carmel, IN, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
 
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 07:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
BECAUSE DIFFERENT PEOPLE HOLD MICE DIFFERENTLY.

Are you getting it yet?
Most hands are quite similar. Unless you have crab hands, I doubt you hold it much different than anybody else.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 07:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Some people prefer to "palm" it in their entire hand. Others like to just use their "fingers" and keep their wrist flat on the table. Neither approach is inherently "better" or "worse".
Rotating from the wrist (ie, people who 'finger' the mouse), is what causes carpal tunnel. It is not merely a matter of preference. One will eventually result in discomfort and injury, the other will not. But don't pay attention to me, it's not like I've read these:

Amazon.com: Handbook of Human Factors and Ergonomics (9780471449171): Gavriel Salvendy: Books

Amazon.com: The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design (9780471099550): Alvin R. Tilley, Henry Dreyfuss Associates: Books

Amazon.com: Ergonomics for Beginners: A Quick Reference Guide, Third Edition…

Amazon.com: Ergonomics: How to Design for Ease and Efficiency (2nd Edition) (9780137524785): K.H.E. Kroemer, H.B. Kroemer, K.E. Kroemer-Elbert: Books
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I absolutely love my Magic Mouse: I scroll through long text documents (.tex code, pdfs) all the time and rubber band scrolling that works on the whole surface is just amazing. In fact, I put my perfectly good Mighty Mouse in my desk drawer and got a Magic Mouse when it came out.
ORLLY? Which finger do you use for the little the scroll/touch area?
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 07:51 PM
 
I read in a book that I too am a 'finger' person, and the Magic Mouse is the most comfortable and useful mouse I've ever owned. The book also said that I love the multi-touch and easy scrolling...
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 09:38 PM
 
I read in a book that I'm awesome.
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 09:47 PM
 
What are you guys talking about?

Some new sex toy?

Fingering action? Palm action? Doing it wrong? Limited, but effective movement in bed?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:14 PM
 
I read in a book that there's this bearded dude in the sky in charge of everything and unless you believe in him he will take you and burn you for all eternity.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2010, 11:35 PM
 
Well then I couldn't possibly say you're wrong!
     
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2010, 10:32 AM
 
And just to digress even more, interesting article that reviews the Trackpad.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2010, 01:04 PM
 
Fwiw, the Bamboo drivers are really, really flaky.
     
Salty
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 30, 2010, 04:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I read in a book that there's this bearded dude in the sky in charge of everything and unless you believe in him he will take you and burn you for all eternity.
If you wanna actually read a book on the subject you should check out Brian McLaren's "A Generous Orthodoxy" good book, much less burning, much more thought, if you can handle it.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2010, 08:56 PM
 
Got my MT today. Nice.

BUT: needs more customization.

Can't wait for 3rd party apps extending the usability.

-t
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
 
Have anybody with a Magic Trackpad tried it with the latest Inklet update?
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,