Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What is iCloud's future?

What is iCloud's future?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2012, 10:35 PM

I hope it becomes much more than it is today, I see a crazy amount of potential. I've discussed in the past the possibility of an API like Google has so that developers can interact with iCloud data from their websites and applications, but it could also be used in messaging platforms (e.g. an Exchange competitor), in providing infrastructure for third party applications like Amazon does (except, perhaps, abstracted with/builtinto Objective-C), and so much more.

Do you see iCloud growing to be more than it is today, or is this pretty much the extent of what Apple has envisioned?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2012, 12:30 AM

It has to grow into something much more, because right now it is pretty lame.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 01:14 AM

Ever since setting it up, I've had nothing but trouble with iCloud. It's been a disaster for me, and I haven't had time to sort it out.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2012, 01:17 AM

If its public reception has been this bad, maybe the future of iCloud-like products in Apple is non-existent. From iTools to iCloud, Apple has had many attempts at this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2012, 02:56 AM

I have not had too many issues, but I agree it's too limited for this day in age.
Apple needs to be winning at this. Right now, they are not.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2012, 04:43 AM

It works fine for me but its nothing mind-blowing.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2012, 08:07 AM

I will let you know after June, when I absolutely finally must convert. As I'm reminded every time I sign in to webmail.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I have not had too many issues, but I agree it's too limited for this day in age.
Apple needs to be winning at this. Right now, they are not.

-t
I'd rather have "working" than "winning".

I miss Galleries, but iDisk is being replaced by DropBox. .

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2012, 10:14 AM

Now that Apple has killed iDisk, I think it would be nice if Apple opened the source to iDisk or at least offer an iDisk server in Mac server so you can roll your own.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Now that Apple has killed iDisk, I think it would be nice if Apple opened the source to iDisk or at least offer an iDisk server in Mac server so you can roll your own.
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Features - Hard Drive Sharing

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2012, 01:14 PM

Thus far I haven't had any issues with iCloud. But then again, I never had any significant issues with MobileMe or .Mac before that. I'm certainly disappointed to see Galleries and iDisk go. Why Apple would abandon such basic and useful functionality is a mystery to me. So hopefully we'll see some sort of replacement in iCloud's future. I suppose one could argue that PhotoStream is a semi-replacment for Galleries. I haven't played with it yet so I can't say. If nothing replaces iDisk I suppose I'll give DropBox a try.

OAW

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post

You can. iDisk is just a WebDAV share, you could create your own and map the idisk hostname to your own in your /etc/hosts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules