Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is This a Good Buy?

Is This a Good Buy?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 06:49 PM

http://www.compubizusa.com/m8858lla.html

I'm attracted to this model at that price b/c it has DVI out and a decent (though not blazing) processor.

No idea how reputable the reseller is, although MySimon gave it a four out of five.

Reactions?

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 06:53 PM

it seems you can get an Apple Refurb cheaper than this -- is it brand new?

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 06:53 PM

2nd reaction: spend a bit more $$ and get a new 15"

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by vancenase:
2nd reaction: spend a bit more $$ and get a new 15"
I might indeed be inclined to agree. But after I buy extra RAM, Panther, a laptop case, an iCurve, a Bluetooth mouse, I'm already over budget!

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 07:04 PM

find a friend in education ... base 15" starts at 1,799.00 w/ edu discount ...

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by vancenase:
find a friend in education ... base 15" starts at 1,799.00 w/ edu discount ...
Yeah, either that or go with a used one.

Just a note, I have used this model before. And I don't think the 1GHz Titanium cost that much more. If it doesn't I would get the 1GHz model more ram in the GPU and additional HD space that is even if you don't use the SuperDrive.

By the way, this generation Titanium was definitely one of the best. I liked it a lot until the new Aluminiums came out .

In terms of carrying, these are definitely easier to carry than the Alumium models. It just feels better in your arms.

macross
Jan 3, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
http://www.compubizusa.com/m8858lla.html

I'm attracted to this model at that price b/c it has DVI out and a decent (though not blazing) processor.

No idea how reputable the reseller is, although MySimon gave it a four out of five.

Reactions?
At that price no, find a friend with a student discount and ask him/her to get you a pb. Around that price i can get a new 15" pb with a student discount and get a free 3 year apple care package w/ a free airport extreme card. Well at least at my college book store they offer that package for their studnet discount.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 09:38 PM

Steer clear of this computer, for another 150 you can get a powerbook off an edu discount, or find an apple refurb with a better processor.

Their bizrate ratings are not great, a lot of complaints, and their spelling and specs are off on the actual product page.

A lot of red flags in my book. Steer clear.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by macross:
At that price no, find a friend with a student discount and ask him/her to get you a pb. Around that price i can get a new 15" pb with a student discount and get a free 3 year apple care package w/ a free airport extreme card. Well at least at my college book store they offer that package for their studnet discount.
My sister's a professor, but I'm not sure how ethical it would be to use her discount. On the other hand, she just bought a iBook (not with her edu. discount) so maybe it would be morally okay to use her discount for my PB.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 11:40 PM

your sister should be able to walk into an apple store, if you like, say "i'd like one of these" ... then show proof of affiliation.

actually, all i had to do was give the zip code ... so maybe you can do it yourself!

she can also buy through the website ...

either way you should not have any problems (throwing ethics aside) ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules