Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Urgent! Did I completely screw up my warranty?

Urgent! Did I completely screw up my warranty?
justinf77
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 12:13 PM

I just received my PowerBook back from Apple on Monday night. Over the past couple of days, I noticed that the casing is not as secure as it was, and that the keyboard was not fully level. In an attempt to fix this myself (because I leave for London on Saturday for school and wanted to fix it before then), I opened up the case and tried to see if I could find the keyboard problem, and then resecure the case hoping to get a better fit.

In reassembling the case, I accidentally screwed in one of the tiny screws from the side into the DVI screw hole! Now it is stuck in there and I can do nothing to get it out, except remove the logic board which I think would be a DUMB idea. This is a 15" AlBook by the way.

So now, the case still does not sit properly, and I have a screw stuck in the wrong place. The only good thing is that the PowerBook functions perfectly, for now. However, I am noticing my uneven illumination problem creep back again, and if this thing has to go in for repair again, won't they notice my attempts to fix it myself? Am I SOL?

Somebody please offer some advice, this has really got me stressed out as I am a perfectionist and just want the computer that I paid for.
PowerBook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.3.3

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 12:15 PM

Probably. If they see any attempt at self repair or of any tampering with the case it probably if not most likely will void the Apple Care.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 8, 2004, 12:26 PM

Just tell them that's the condition it was in when it was returned. Other than the screw, it's the truth. One screw should not equal a warranty void.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2004, 12:27 PM

It does sound like you're SOL, however, have you tried backing out the screw with a torqued screwdriver? The extra leverage won't hurt with the screwdriver.

Hope this helps, otherwise I don't know what else to tell you.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Just tell them that's the condition it was in when it was returned. Other than the screw, it's the truth. One screw should not equal a warranty void.
If your machine was touched by a non qualified Apple tech in anyway it will most likely void the Applecare whether it's one screw or not
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

cliff
Jan 8, 2004, 01:57 PM

I actually did the same thing to my 17 rev B. It came back from repair and a few things weren't working so I'd figure I could open the case and seat a few cables. Upon putting it back together a screw got stuck in the DVI port, I just used a tweaser to retrieve it, sent the machine back to Apple and they repaired it under warranty. Even replaced the top of the case for me! Now my PB is good as new

justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 01:58 PM

In any case, being that I had the uneven illumination problem BEFORE I touched the PowerBook, will Apple repair it again if the problem returns? Obviously it was a problem before I even touched the PowerBook, so they should still fix it, right?

I do not mind the stuck screw, as I never use DVI or VGA out, and anyway can get the case replaced by Tekserve when I return from school in April.

I cannot believe how dumb I was...

EDIT: How did you fit a tweezer in there? The hole is SO small...

cliff
Jan 8, 2004, 11:42 PM

I just stuck one side of the tweaser (the smal ones that come with standard computer toolkits) in the hole and dug it out. All repairs done by Apple has a 30 day warranty on the repairs themselves. You should't have a hard time getting them to fix it. Unless they see that screw in there and come to the conclusion that the PB was open..

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 07:29 AM

You just have to stay stubborn in defending your claim that the screw was there all the time. Believe me, they heard worse stories, but at least it wont get the wrong ball rolling (: unauthorised repair with all its consequences).
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2004, 09:48 AM

Urgent! Did I completely screw up my warranty?
Was that a pun?

But yeah, screwing with your laptop like that is risky while the thing is under warranty. That said, my TiBook drive has been flashed to another non-Apple firmware. We do stupid things sometimes.

Hope things work out for you.

Tantrum
Jan 9, 2004, 12:38 PM

or you could say that you were putting in the airport extreme card in...i think that's an exception excuse to open up the pb...not sure though.
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB

popstand
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 01:17 PM

You don't have to open up the case to install an airport extreme card...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2004, 04:33 PM

Note that the Apple service guide PDF for this model specifically and explicitly warns about this problem, and the fact that undoing said goof-up requires basically stripping the machine down to its component parts. I guess a prototype technician at Apple must have done the same thing for them to even know to put it in the service guide.

tooki

justinf77  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 05:44 PM

Well, I am returning to school in London tomorrow. The PowerBook will be picked up for service on Tuesday, because the backlit keyboard does not work like it did before the repair (many of the keys just do not light up). I know this is not something I did by opening the case, as I noticed it before that happened.

I will let you know how AppleCare treats the situation. I am hoping to get lucky because of two different repair facilities.

Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules