Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 80gig hd

80gig hd
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 10:47 PM

When do you think a 80 gig 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drive will be out. I would like a fast hd yet large capacity and I think they should be out very shortly. Any opinion.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 10:59 PM

There is 5400 RPM 80 GB hard drives out now, do they even make 7200 rpm lap top drives?
What would be the need for something so big and so fast in a laptop? I could see if you needed to do some hard core editing or something, but I would leave that to a G5 desktop computer.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 11:09 PM

yes they make 7200 rpm 2.5 inch 60 gig drives. I can't afford a g5 therefore I need as much out of my lappy. I got a killer deal on my power book so I gotta upgrade it as much as possible. http://www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr7k60.htm I do hard core stuff like video editing and im always using the finder to copy things. I will also be looking at upgrading my ram and selling my 512 stick.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 09:47 AM

I have the 5400rpm 80 GB drive in my custom-built 12" and use it perfectly happily with FCE (though I do have a separate 7200rpm 200 GB LaCie D2 as a scratch disk for major projects).

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2004, 05:08 PM

As of now there is no 80GB 7200 RPM laptop hard drive. Why not get an external firewire if you need it for editing?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2004, 07:42 PM

Don't want to carry a hard drive around. I just want to have a lappy and thats it nothing else.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 05:06 AM

Who knows when a 7200 rpm 80gig will be available... maybe tomorrow, maybe next year. From all of the evidence I've seen and heard, the current 5400 rpm 80gig available now are a lot faster than the specs may indicate when compared to the 7200 60 gig...

If you compare the fastest 60 gig and 80 gig hitachi drives, the differences are negligable. They all saturate the ATA-6 interface, so data won't be moving to and from the drive any faster than that for any of them. So my advice, get what you need now. But if you think something faster is on the horizon, wait for it, if you like.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 12:04 PM

Your best bet is to just settle for the 80gig 5400 RPM if you need that kind of capacity. For a laptop, that's the best you're going to do.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 19, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by himself:
If you compare the fastest 60 gig and 80 gig hitachi drives, the differences are negligable. They all saturate the ATA-6 interface, so data won't be moving to and from the drive any faster than that for any of them.
Check your math.

The 7K60 drive maxes out at 64.75MB/sec, and the 5K80 maxes out at 56.25MB/sec. Neither of those will max out an ATA/66 bus, much less an ATA/100 (ATA-6) bus.

tooki

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Check your math.
I stand corrected.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 07:03 PM

well bench mark tests show the 7k drive shows a good amount of speed. http://www.barefeats.com/fire29b.html So clearly the 7k drive does beat the pack 4 out of 6

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 02:18 PM

I just went to toshiba's web site and dl'ed the pdf to the new hd. Can you tell me what speed it is. its the 80 gig 2.5 inch super slimline hdd mx8025gas. It doesn't show you if its 7200 or what?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by himself:
If you compare the fastest 60 gig and 80 gig hitachi drives, the differences are negligable.
Computerworld ran a nice comparison showing just how much faster (31% using XBench) a PowerBook 17" ran with Hitachi's Travelstar E7K60 running at 7,200 rpm, compared with the stock 4,200 rpm 80 GB harddrive that Apple uses.

This is the "enhanced" 7,200 rpm drive, somewhat more expensive than the Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 that debuted last summer.

Of course, in real-world use, YMMV.

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
I just went to toshiba's web site and dl'ed the pdf to the new hd. Can you tell me what speed it is. its the 80 gig 2.5 inch super slimline hdd mx8025gas. It doesn't show you if its 7200 or what?
Toshiba's spec sheet for that drive state that it's a 4,200 rpm drive.

iBorg

Squozen
Feb 27, 2004, 06:26 AM

I got the 5400 RPM 80Gb drive, preferring the extra 20Gb of space over some marginal performance benefits. If you really want speed for video editing, use a Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor drive in a Firewire 800 enclosure. They're seriously fast drives (pity about the high-pitched whining!).

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 11:26 AM

Toshiba/IBM will have themselves a real winner when they put out a high speed 80 (or heck, 100+ GB) notebook drive. I'll be one of the first in line for my PB17. I really could use the extra space AND speed over this painfully slow OEM 4200 drive Apple put in their PB17 revA machines last year.

The specs on the 80 GB drive indicate it is a 4200 rpm disc which has been optimized to make it competitive in speed with the smaller 5400 rpm drives.

But it is definitely not as fast as either version of the 7200 60 gb drive available now.

In terms of this thread's topic, I really do not consider even a 80GB internal HD will net nearly enough space to do a video editing project. Apps, the OS, and other files will eat up significant space, etc. I just built a relatively cheap ($180 total) 250GB 7200 rpm FW external HD for this very purpose. If you want to toss in a little more money, get a FW2 case which can really handle the high data traffic to and from one of these new drives. (BTW, xlr8yourmac.com has a comparison of FW vs FW2, and clearly FW2 is faster in real world applications for external drives).

MacDude-CT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 12:22 PM

Straight from the horses mouth...
(I sent an inquiry to Hitachi)

"The scheduled announcement date for the 7K80 (parallel ATA Version) will be mid-March. It initially is released in OEM channel and may take a couple
months to hit the distribution channel. The serial ATA version is scheduled for June-July."

I'm gonna hold out.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by mintcake:
I have the 5400rpm 80 GB drive in my custom-built 12" and use it perfectly happily with FCE
Have you noticed any more heat with teh 5400 rpm drive in the 12-inch? It's a shame that Apple doesn't offer that option BTO. They only offer 4200 rpm drives for the 12-inch.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 04:30 PM

I've got a 7200rpm drive in my 12" PB. It's noticeably faster than the 5400rpm drive it came with. It's not any hotter than the OEM drive.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 10:55 PM

Apple should pack in two 5400rpm 80GB drives in the 17" PB G5 along with a RAID 0 controller. That would not only give higher speed, but also much more capacity than any single 2.5" drive on the horizon, which the video mavens would love.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2004, 04:04 AM

Not to mention half of the reliability.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 07:12 PM

In eight years of using Powerbooks, I have yet to have a drive failure.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 25, 2004, 07:34 PM

So you got lucky.

RAID 0 (which should be called just "AID" because it's in no way redundant) is the dumbest crap ever. You increase your failure rate geometrically by doing so.

Besides, putting two drives into a laptop is stupid for another reason: power consumption.

tooki

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 12:47 AM

a little off the main thread subject, but I just upgraded to a 60GB Toshiba 6022GAX 5400 RPM drive in my TiBook 800. It's quite a nifty boost in speed, very obvious when opening/saving files in illustrator and even makes LaunchBar snappier (I have it set to scan a ton of stuff).

I would have gone with the 7k60 7200 RPM Hitachi drive but in the end the price difference was too great for me to justify. (damn sales tax in CA)

I ended up selling the old 40GB drive for $100.

The 6022GAX cost $151 shipped (no sales tax). Upgrade cost = $51.

The 7k60 would have cost me about $225 shipped (and plus sales tax). Upgrade cost = $125.
The 80GB Hitachi drives (both 4200 and 5400 RPM versions) would have cost about the same.

I'm very happy with the extra 20 gigs of space and the $75 has been put in the Powerbook G5 fund (probably sometime in late 2005). (late 2005 = when I'm going to buy, not when the PB G5 is to be released, hopefully)

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Squozen:
I got the 5400 RPM 80Gb drive, preferring the extra 20Gb of space over some marginal performance benefits. If you really want speed for video editing, use a Western Digital 10,000RPM Raptor drive in a Firewire 800 enclosure. They're seriously fast drives (pity about the high-pitched whining!).
Umm...I beg to differ on the performance difference.

I have had the 7200 in my 17 1.33 al and it screams. I can open a 200+MB photoshop tiff file in less than 4 seconds.

It is worth every bit of the 20GB less capacity.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Squozen
Mar 26, 2004, 03:25 AM

Okay, I'm bored at work, I'll respond!

I'm using a 15" 1.25Ghz AlBook with an 80Gb 5400RPM drive. I just created a 200Mb TIFF file in Photoshop (uncompressed), saved it to the desktop and rebooted to be sure I wasn't reading from cached memory. I started Photoshop and then loaded the image. It sat there doing nothing noteworthy for about 6 seconds, then opened a window saying 'reading image' and the progress bar started moving. Total time for the image to appear was 10 seconds. Closing the file and opening it again (ie, reading it from cache) took 4 seconds. Maybe your hard drive somehow runs faster than my RAM chips, I don't know. Considering that I'll never edit image files this large on a regular basis (my test file is 9655 x 7241 pixels), the 6 seconds difference between your figure and mine is a non-issue for me.

I use my laptop for fairly typical tasks (web, email, some gaming, iTunes, iMovie, a bit of web design, trying to not suck utterly with Photoshop). Maybe it's because I boosted my memory up to 1Gb, but my laptop's drive doesn't feel slow by any stretch of the imagination. It still has about 20Gb free - if I were using your drive I'd have no space left, which is useless to me. I have nearly 19Gb of music ripped from my CD collection to my laptop, that's a third of a 60Gb drive gone right there!

If I were doing serious photo/video editing or music recording however, I'd use an external Firewire device, which will be faster and carry more data than a 60Gb 7200RPM drive. In fact, I will be getting a nice 120Gb+ firewire unit to take the load off the internal drive when I start recording music with my laptop.

Horses for courses and all that.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 12:51 PM

The 7200 rpm 7K60 is freakin' awesome. So much faster than the stock 4200. Best upgrade I ever did to any Mac.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 03:40 AM

so this 80 gig its official when will it hit market for us to buy. I would like to get that with a 1 gig ram moduel and sell my 60 gig as well as my 512 meg ram stick. Any thoughts.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 03:58 AM

Can I do a scsi conversion to ata some how. I had a great idea but don't know it will work.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 04:12 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39969

Now that I know there is such things i need to know if theres a smaller one. Or a away to fit it in a laptop. spcifically a thin power book.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2004, 06:38 PM

"Straight from the horses mouth...
(I sent an inquiry to Hitachi)

"The scheduled announcement date for the 7K80 (parallel ATA Version) will be mid-March. It initially is released in OEM channel and may take a couple
months to hit the distribution channel. The serial ATA version is scheduled for June-July."

I'm gonna hold out"

I e mailed them and I got a reponse

James,

Thank you for contacting Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

The largest 7200RPM laptop drive that we manufacture is the 60GB model
(7K60). If we announce and release any larger products, you can find
information on them at the following link:

http://www.hitachigst.com/travelstar

Regards,
Brad Z
------------------ In Response To ------------------

Delivered Date: 03-29-2004 02:02:33+6
First Name: James
Last Name: Baum
Email: [email protected]
Phone:
Family: travelstar
Subject: Support feedback from: James Baum

Comments:
When will the 80gig 7200rpm drive be out for the
public. I have been informred that its official from a
local store but I could be wrong.

www.hitachigst.com

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 07:13 AM

Some great info. I am thining of upgrading my TiBook sometime in the near future, unless Apple rolls out PowerBook G5s
The upgrade will include maxing out RAM and HD upgrade to Hitachi 7K60 for maximum speed I can get out of my PowerBook, such a great machine.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules