Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Changing HD in an iBook G3 500Mhz

Changing HD in an iBook G3 500Mhz
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 03:04 PM

Hi,

My iBook G3 500 mhz Hard drive has just died. I would like to know how difficult it is to change the HD on my own.

I have found the following link that explains how to do it: http://homepage.mac.com/itiburon/cyb...Book500HD.html

Thanks.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by dopik:
Hi,

My iBook G3 500 mhz Hard drive has just died. I would like to know how difficult it is to change the HD on my own.

I have found the following link that explains how to do it: http://homepage.mac.com/itiburon/cyb...Book500HD.html

Thanks.

dopik

It is pretty complicated. I have a g3 500 mhz ibook that came with a 10 gig drive which was very limiting..

so I purchased a 40 gig drive.....I know someone who builds computers from scratch and approached him about doing the upgrade for me..he looked into it and thought it was too much for him..

so I took it down the street to TekServe in NYC. They charged me 100 bucks to install the new hard drive.

It has worked mostly just fine accept it gets to hot and starts acting wierd and I have to shut it down. After I let it set a few hours and fire it up again it runs just fine.

I've never heard a fan go on my ibook though and think it may just be because the fan doesnt' work.

I've been meaning to get the fan checked out.

QUESTION---- Should I hear a fan on a ibook? (I never have).

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:

I'm not sure about the 500 but on my previous 700 and current 900 the fan was obvious when it came on. Excess heat will cause a system to crash. You really should have it checked out.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I'm not sure about the 500 but on my previous 700 and current 900 the fan was obvious when it came on. Excess heat will cause a system to crash. You really should have it checked out.
will do.

I have been getting along without a fan I guess... but I really want to keep this ibook....running panther great..... its such a nice laptop for using on your lap top.

Mitser
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by dopik:
Hi,

Thanks.

dopik
I changed my drive about a month ago and I thought it was pretty darn easy. Took me between 2 to 3 hours and I am not all that tech savy.

Matthew
( Last edited by Mitser; Mar 6, 2004 at 01:49 PM. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
If you hold the back of the hinge up to your ear, you should hear it. There is a small grate where the display connects that lets air in and out. Mine is far quieter than my hard drive, but it should always be running.

BTW, I have a 500MHz iBook too.

As a tech that works on these iBooks on a regular basis, we dread Dual USB iBook repairs. Apple fixed many of the issues in the later models that drive us nuts in the earlier models, but it really is a two to three hour repair. It's not fun. There are many many screws. If I didn't get paid to take these things apart, I wouldn't do it.

Whatever you do, get the biggest hard drive you can afford since you aren't likely to upgrade it again.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Cipher13
Mar 17, 2004, 08:24 AM

Replacing the HD on an iBook is easy. Just don't be afraid that you'll break the machine; you won't.

I've done it more times than I can count. I can give you instructions if you like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules