Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo weird noise - advise needed.

Pismo weird noise - advise needed.
1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 06:41 AM

My Pismo started making this strange sound from underneath the keyboard, it's a repetative clicking noise, which causes the machine to freeze up for a few seconds.

First I thought it was 'just' a dying HD, but the machine also produces these loud crackling noises from the speakers.
Can anybody tell me what's going on here and what I can do about it? TNX

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 09:39 AM

I don't know about the cracking, but the clicking is your hard drive. Not much you can do about that, replacing the hard drive in a pismo is not particularly easy.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
...replacing the hard drive in a pismo is not particularly easy.
To be honest I never replace it in my previous Pismo, but I replaced the RAM, two modules, so I had to take off the cpu card, and I really think to replace a HD in a Pismo is so far easier. Am I mistaken?

1800-whatever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

@anaphora68 , tnx,I guess I''ll back up my dat as soon as possible and buy a new hard drive.
The static-like noises coming from the speakers together with the clicking are strange though...So i hope it's just the drive.

@angelmb, no you are right, it is not that hard, in fact I wish al Power/iBooks where as easy to upgrade as the G3 models.
Here's a link:
http://www.themacnut.com/PBG3RamHD.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules