Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Prediction about a change of appearance in X

Prediction about a change of appearance in X
Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 08:00 AM

Prediction: OS X currently has an appearance that reflects the
appearance of its most recent products - translucent plastics,
pinstripes and glistening surfaces beset by shadows.

Since the recent laptop introductions the trend has been to
move away from this successful formula and instead to go
for classy, understated metals and or single or duo-tone
quasi-metallic appearance.

I predict that X will have a changed overall appearance to
reflect the change in the product line. Not now. But in the
future.

It may be that Aqua is just one "setting " or "appearance theme",
but eventually the OS will look more similar to the machines
about to be released than what we see currently.

Thoughts?

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: Todd Madson ]

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 08:33 AM

Yes, Apple WILL introduce Appearance support for OS X. The big question is when. The original idea was to release Appearance support at the "6-month" mark, but that seems highly unlikely considering Apple is trying to nail-down some of the basic core of OS X; providing Appearance support is on the low-end of the totem pole.

The tools with which to make Appearances will be provided by Apple, and it will be available as a free download to anyone that wants it. And, much like they atarted sporting the custom desktop pages, iTools will be expanded to list and make available various custom Appearances much like the Kaleidoscope Scheme Archive.

Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground like Apple Yawnlooker -- or maybe I do.

There are SEVERAL big-gun companies (M$'s Mac team, for example) as well as icon foundries that have heard the hints and comments leading them to the understanding that Aqua is NOT the be-all end-all interface for OS X. When pressed, these guys (M$) say "I can't comment on that," or some flat-out tell you that's what they're gleaning from development conferences.

Understand, NO ONE has firm information/details about this except Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and the like. All we know is that Appearance support is coming -- and we know this from common sense, logic, and the "I can't comment on that" statements from *several* "in-the-know" companies.organizations.

So sit back, relax, and start playing with interface options in Photoshop -- OS X Appearances are on their way.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 08:36 AM

Actually I've been thinking about why Apple hasn't released more in the way of updates recently and I've come to the conclusion that although all of us have been boringly going on about this or that feature, Apple has other worries. the biggest of them is called Windows XP. No joke. XP is the first windows that actually has a real configurable UI and can definitely be made to look good. This, I am almost willing to bet, is probably making Steve lose some sleep. A part, and not a small one, of Apples advantage over windows, is the UI looks nicer and is easier to use(well, should be anyway ). I am willing to bet that Steve knows that M$ wants to grab some of that hot UI marketshare to raise more funds for BIll and melindas vacation on the ISS, and is at the moment going through strategy after strategy as to how_can_we_do_it ?. Quiet a few windows people have come over to X, although I suspect it is not because of the UI alone but because of the BSD core and Cocoa as well. And Steve knows he could probably get more to come and party. But XP could make quite a few windows users decide to stay, since it offers a number of advantages that X does not (software, price etc).

I think that they have postponed updates so that more can get into X, speed, themes etc.

ok, enough, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
weird wabbit

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
<STRONG>Actually I've been thinking about why Apple hasn't released more in the way of updates recently and I've come to the conclusion that although all of us have been boringly going on about this or that feature, Apple has other worries. the biggest of them is called Windows XP. No joke. XP is the first windows that actually has a real configurable UI and can definitely be made to look good. This, I am almost willing to bet, is probably making Steve lose some sleep. A part, and not a small one, of Apples advantage over windows, is the UI looks nicer and is easier to use(well, should be anyway ). I am willing to bet that Steve knows that M$ wants to grab some of that hot UI marketshare to raise more funds for BIll and melindas vacation on the ISS, and is at the moment going through strategy after strategy as to how_can_we_do_it ?. Quiet a few windows people have come over to X, although I suspect it is not because of the UI alone but because of the BSD core and Cocoa as well. And Steve knows he could probably get more to come and party. But XP could make quite a few windows users decide to stay, since it offers a number of advantages that X does not (software, price etc).

I think that they have postponed updates so that more can get into X, speed, themes etc.

ok, enough, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz</STRONG>
I TRULY hope you are right

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 11:50 AM

As a developer, I've heard whispers of appearence themes as well but since I'm such a small player, I'm not "in the know", so I can't be sure. Considering Apple's stragety of continuing to refine the UI, I wouldn't be surprised.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 08:08 PM

Sure Apple will come with different themes sooner or later, but on one hand there's really more important stuff to do now, and on the other hand Apple might like to have only this one Aqua look for now to have an unique identification with OS X where ever it's seen.

-

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2001, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
<STRONG>
Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground like Apple Yawnlooker -- or maybe I do.
</STRONG>
Shut the f*ck up.
In vino veritas.

splitkitten44
Jun 8, 2001, 08:42 PM

hey, appleonlooker... is 10.0.4 coming this weekend or what's up?

:-D

<mememe working>
Jun 8, 2001, 08:56 PM

HAHAHA Apple Onlooker.. what a JOKE!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 09:35 PM

Heh, what's up undo's butt?

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

dante
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 10:15 PM

His head?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
<STRONG>Heh, what's up undo's butt?

</STRONG>
Let's see..first you encounter the rectal sphincter, then...nevermind..why go there?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Skywalker's left nostril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 10:52 PM

Prediction: OS X currently has an appearance that reflects the
appearance of its most recent products - translucent plastics,
pinstripes and glistening surfaces beset by shadows.

Since the recent laptop introductions the trend has been to
move away from this successful formula and instead to go
for classy, understated metals and or single or duo-tone
quasi-metallic appearance.

So what are you thinking about some cool new theme that will match the TiBook...something metal...uh Platinum?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2001, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Skywalker's left nostril:
<STRONG>

So what are you thinking about some cool new theme that will match the TiBook...something metal...uh Platinum?</STRONG>
Cool name.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Justin Belisle
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 11:34 AM

I am actually skeptical that Apple will change their Aqua appearance. You can't just suspect that apple will remove aqua just because 2 products have a different appearance. the old powerbooks also had a differant appearance compared to apple's other products.
Justin Belisle
[email protected]

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Justin Belisle:
<STRONG>I am actually skeptical that Apple will change their Aqua appearance. You can't just suspect that apple will remove aqua just because 2 products have a different appearance. the old powerbooks also had a differant appearance compared to apple's other products.</STRONG>
It's quite possible that the general appearance of Aqua won't change, but that it could lose the lines, as Apple's products lose their lines.

Person Man

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 12:02 PM

No way. They won't change appearance in the NeXT 3-5 years. It's their baby that they are so proud of. Just my �0,02

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 12:03 PM

No way. They won't change appearance in the NeXT 3-5 years. It's their baby that they are so proud of. Just my �0,02

MacBiXo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2001, 02:12 PM

Change current appearance in OS X?????

Plese never change!!!!!!

iBook@800
Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules