Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Predictor website is back up.

Predictor website is back up.
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 06:44 PM

The Predictor@Home website is mostly back up and operational. They are still "tweaking" the new servers, so sporadic outages are possible. Per the most recent posting, they expect to open up again to new members around mid January. Alpha test is pretty much over, so work should be available now for those already registered. To be honest, I didn't expect this until after the new year.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
The Predictor@Home website is mostly back up and operational. They are still "tweaking" the new servers, so sporadic outages are possible. Per the most recent posting, they expect to open up again to new members around mid January. Alpha test is pretty much over, so work should be available now for those already registered. To be honest, I didn't expect this until after the new year.
UPDATE: They are having some database problems. Dave, the new guy who replaced Michela, posted that he is still getting to know the software and warned that it may be up and down some through the weekend while he sorts some things out. People are getting work, when the system is up. No credit has been lost, so things are picking up from where they left off. That is good for Team MacNN which is still #8 overall.

jbcool
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 04:11 PM

They are accepting new accounts now but I have not been able to get any work yet. Will update when I see a packet delivered.

Finally got my first packets. Second machine still waiting for work.
Were really movin' now.
( Last edited by jbcool; Jan 10, 2005 at 07:25 PM. )
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 07:46 PM

I've been getting work sporadically for a week, but the stats aren't updating.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 12:12 AM

Yep, there are still problems with the new stuff.

However, they did post an update today, but it wasn't shown on the main page. Go to http://predictor.scripps.edu/news_updates_ps.php It is interesting because it includes links to a pdf of the poster they presented at CASP 6 about what they are doing and how, and a link to the "results" of sorts from CASP6, which shows their best results compared to the actual final protein.

jbcool
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 02:21 AM

Glad they are using the BOINC at least that way the machines are working on something. Think I will try and load it on my linux machine tomorrow.

Just don't want you getting to far ahead shaktai
Never mind! I just checked the stats this morning and I see I am in 15th place and you are in 21st place. I would say that they are still having some major problems. Have only gotten one two hour project and now I am back to mode.
( Last edited by jbcool; Jan 11, 2005 at 08:22 AM. )
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 03:26 AM

Yay!
The stats are updating!

mikkyo
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 04:20 AM

Check out the Team MacNN Predictor stats:
http://teamstats.macnn.com/predict1/stats.php?page=s1
They are working well which means it won't be too hard to get the other Boinc projects working.
Many thanks to reader50!

virex
Jan 16, 2005, 12:48 PM

hmm certain things aren't working just yet though:

The requested URL /predict1/rank1.phtml was not found on this server.

:/ i like seeing how we are doing against other teams

mikkyo
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 03:06 PM

Team MacNN is now in 7th place and heading fast towards 6th.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Team MacNN is now in 7th place and heading fast towards 6th.
Nice. Once I get relocated and get my network up, I'll have to see what kind of power I can add to the effort. I'll add a little for the short term.

Besides, I can't let jbcool get too close.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Feb 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM. )

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 03:09 AM

Nice. Once I get relocated and get my network up, I'll have to see what kind of power I can add to the effort. I'll add a little for the short term.

Besides, I can't let jbcool get too close.
You don't need to worry about me. Your only 54,000+ units ahead of me. I'm more concerned about that virex that keeps bumping my back bumper, can't shake them. I figured that you had gotten moved since I had not heard anything from you for a while and then seeing you become active again.

I think virex is just trying to force me to fire up that last machine I have been keeping in reserve.
Tag ur it.

virex
Feb 16, 2005, 12:21 PM

well...i'm taking a slight einstein break....my two fastest comps(1.67ghz pbg4, 1.6ghz P4M) are crunching there only since it's sooooo easy to jump up the ranks there. I'll be back once i get high enough

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by virex:
well...i'm taking a slight einstein break....my two fastest comps(1.67ghz pbg4, 1.6ghz P4M) are crunching there only since it's sooooo easy to jump up the ranks there. I'll be back once i get high enough
Good news, bad news 4U.
The good news 4U I am having a problem with my fastest computer just shutting off. I think it is a power supply or motherboard issue since it just shuts its self of without warning. The more good news 4U is I have to take another one offline so I can do some real work for the next week.

The bad news 4U is I will come back with a vengence when the new kid on the block shows up on my door step. It should be online next Tuesday, so get ahead while you can. 'cause next week I am hoping to bring four boxes to the dance.
( Last edited by jbcool; Feb 18, 2005 at 02:19 AM. )
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
.... so get ahead while you can. 'cause next week I am hoping to bring for boxes to the dance.
For? Oh, you mean Four! Hey wait just one doggone minute now. Four boxes???? I dread to ask what kind. Thank goodness that is four total, not four new. (It is four total right?)

Well, when I get settled in the new place (and get my broadband hooked up) looks like I'll have to settle on one project or the other (split between Einstein & Predictor right now). Won't even think about trying to catch mikkyo, but if no one tips him off, I might sneak past drweaser. Maybe, just maybe, I can keep you off my back for a few months.

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 02:23 AM

For? Oh, you mean Four! Hey wait just one doggone minute now. Four boxes???? I dread to ask what kind. Thank goodness that is four total, not four new. (It is four total right?)

Yea one new one for crunching only, one that has been shut off, then the one that is having problems and the one that I am taking off the crunching so I can get some aircraft parts modeled by next weekend.

Oh speaking of broadband. I will have 10Mb download speed and 1.2Mb upload speeds at the house tomorrow.

Then maybe in a couple of weeks I will have a job again. Where I can work at home instead of moving all over the country. Might be a good year?? I see visions of multiprocessors in my future?
( Last edited by jbcool; Feb 18, 2005 at 02:30 AM. )
Tag ur it.

virex
Feb 18, 2005, 11:33 AM

as soon as i get these einstein wu's off my intel, i'm switching it back to predictor, then i'll switch my amd over to einstein since it can do better there. but everything else will prob be predictor again soon, so i'm comin for ya

reader50
Administrator
Feb 18, 2005, 03:30 PM

Oh speaking of broadband. I will have 10Mb download speed and 1.2Mb upload speeds at the house tomorrow.
OK, who did you blackmail in Congress? That, or you're one of those lucky people getting to test out fiber to the premesis.

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
OK, who did you blackmail in Congress? That, or you're one of those lucky people getting to test out fiber to the premesis.
Naw I did it the old fashion way. DSL and CABLE for the next week. Then I drop the baby bell and my cost is cut in half of what SBC was charging me.

I wish there was a true broadband. I would like to see 6M down and 2M up at a cost of a dollar a day.
Dreamin' nothin' more than Dreamin'.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 02:22 AM

Naw I did it the old fashion way. DSL and CABLE for the next week. Then I drop the baby bell and my cost is cut in half of what SBC was charging me.

I wish there was a true broadband. I would like to see 6M down and 2M up at a cost of a dollar a day.
Dreamin' nothin' more than Dreamin'.
Dream bigger. I want 10m up and down.

jbcool
Senior User
Feb 20, 2005, 02:09 AM

Dream bigger. I want 10m up and down.
Good news. The problem was a power supply going bad (again) seems like I burn one up every six months or so. Might let the new work work on Einstein for a week or so once I get it running.

Where are all those spare parts??????????

Engage the warp drive.
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 03:15 PM

Today or tomorrow we will take 6th place in total credit in Predictor.
It is going to be a tough run to get higher and hang on to 6th unless more folks focus on Predictor as we are 9th in recent average credit.
I'm sure we could get up to 2nd if everyone focused on this project.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Today or tomorrow we will take 6th place in total credit in Predictor.
It is going to be a tough run to get higher and hang on to 6th unless more folks focus on Predictor as we are 9th in recent average credit.
I'm sure we could get up to 2nd if everyone focused on this project.
I just got my new DSL up and going. Hopefully tomorrow I will have my farm back up and running.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 04:41 PM

Hurry!
heh
Be good to have to back.

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 13, 2005, 11:28 AM

I just got my new DSL up and going. Hopefully tomorrow I will have my farm back up and running.
Darn it! And I was doing so well on trying to get caught up. You were only 2 months ahead of me if you didn't do any crunching.

Guess I need to go ahead an put in another order.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 11:28 PM

Darn it! And I was doing so well on trying to get caught up. You were only 2 months ahead of me if you didn't do any crunching.

Guess I need to go ahead an put in another order.
Well, got all 15ghz up and ready to crunch, but wouldn't you know it, the Predictor web site is down and I can't get any work, at least for a little while.

Remember that you're the one that gave me that 8 port hub. You know, I just remembered I still have one more port free.

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 03:38 AM

Well, got all 15ghz up and ready to crunch, but wouldn't you know it, the Predictor web site is down and I can't get any work, at least for a little while.

Remember that you're the one that gave me that 8 port hub. You know, I just remembered I still have one more port free.
Yea I have a habit of giving things away but I don't miss that hub. Notice I didn't give you either one of my 24 port hubs.
I ordered two more 3400+ machines on Sunday should have them running by Wednesday evening. Going to get the 4" hole saw out and do some case mods. Only get to use one of the 3400 machines a few days as it is for a buddy. Bit it will be nice while I am able to use it. I think most of my machines have four days of work on them so maybe I can get a litte more done before you slam the door in my face.

Had to pull the AMD off the 64bit beta because I could not run a few of the programs that I use all the time. So loaded the windoze 32 pro on it.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 09:46 PM

I ordered two more 3400+ machines on Sunday should have them running by Wednesday evening. Going to get the 4" hole saw out and do some case mods. Only get to use one of the 3400 machines a few days as it is for a buddy. Bit it will be nice while I am able to use it. I think most of my machines have four days of work on them so maybe I can get a litte more done before you slam the door in my face.
See how you are. Well I am finally getting work and have even returned a few units alreayd for credit. I should be able to pull 1300-1500 credits per day, maybe more on a good day.

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 15, 2005, 03:38 AM

See how you are. Well I am finally getting work and have even returned a few units alreayd for credit. I should be able to pull 1300-1500 credits per day, maybe more on a good day.
I am guessing with the new 3400 and pulling a couple machines off that I will be stuck around what my rate now is.
I'm thinking another project is where you want to put your resources for at least hmm??? say 60 days. Like Einstein, yea, thats the ticket.

I have noticed on the 3400 machine that it give out work based on 2:30:00 to it only takes around 00:30:00 so the four days of work gets done pretty quick. My mac isn't a good farm machine so I will pull it and three others off of all that they are doing this weekend. Be down to like 12GHz of power.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 10:13 PM

Well my first day back on Predictor, I have 868 cobblestones of awarded credit and 683 pending. That seems like a pretty good deal. Should help the team effort. After a couple of weeks I should be able to get my RAC up to around 1500 give or take a little. I can live with that.

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 03:15 AM

Well my first day back on Predictor, I have 868 cobblestones of awarded credit and 683 pending. That seems like a pretty good deal. Should help the team effort. After a couple of weeks I should be able to get my RAC up to around 1500 give or take a little. I can live with that.
Go away kid ya bug me!
Your just trying to be difficult? Gonna make me work for it?

Welcome back!
Turkey.
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 04:25 AM

We are now 6th in total credit for Predictor.
Thanks to all the team members for helping push us further into the top ten.

virex
Mar 16, 2005, 10:46 AM

we are going to need a really big push to get us into 5th anytime soon.....the next team is pretty far away, but they aren't putting out much...
i just wish my bro would get 'net at his work so i can get his dual 2 g5 helpin out

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by virex:
we are going to need a really big push to get us into 5th anytime soon.....the next team is pretty far away, but they aren't putting out much...
i just wish my bro would get 'net at his work so i can get his dual 2 g5 helpin out
Your still putting down great numbers. Sorry about shifting gears on you, but those headlights of yours were bright. If you get the bro in the mix I would probably be in trouble again. Of course your stepping all over me at Einstein. Only have a 2.4 working on that project.

Going to shift again on Friday and see if I can run over Shaktai in the next couple of months. He hit me so hard with the door when he flew past me on the folding project that it took me a year to come out of my coma.

Finally looked to see what my mac was putting out and it has been sitting idle for the last month. Guess I should check on these boxes a little more often, eh?
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 12:40 AM

Going to shift again on Friday and see if I can run over Shaktai in the next couple of months. He hit me so hard with the door when he flew past me on the folding project that it took me a year to come out of my coma.
I was wondering where that dent came from? 1455 points in the last 24 hours and I still have 881 pending. Looks like I might settle in closer to 1600-1700 ppd.

So, what to get to fill that last hub spot?

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 17, 2005, 02:57 PM

I was wondering where that dent came from? 1455 points in the last 24 hours and I still have 881 pending. Looks like I might settle in closer to 1600-1700 ppd.

So, what to get to fill that last hub spot?
I just looked at you list of computers and I counted a lot more than eight. It became rather obvious why I can't keep up with you.

Looks to me like when I get a haircut and a real job that I ought to make a small purchase and fill all of those 48 port switches up. Real job??? Naw forget that thought!!

I seem to have 3000+ pending at all times. Makes for nice numbers some day and low numbers other days.

The new 3400 boards should be in this afternoon and I will try to get them installed and running before they start making the changes and shut off the packets during the switch over. Guess I will have to tell it to give me 7 days of packets to keep the 3400s busy for two days.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 09:55 PM

I just looked at you list of computers and I counted a lot more than eight. It became rather obvious why I can't keep up with you.
Naw, they aren't all active. Just 7 are active. The others are either OS variations or other glitches that keep me from merging them.

Current Farm:
iBook 600 G3
iMac 1600 G5
Athlon 2400
Athlon 2800
AMD 64 3200
Pentium 4 3000
Pentium 4 3400

I was thinking that a "dual" something would be nice to fill the empty hub slot one of these days. Be a little while though.

UPDATE: Darn, just discovered that the P4 3400 wasn't crunching for several hours, maybe not since yesterday. There's a couple of hundred missed points.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Mar 17, 2005 at 10:21 PM. )

jbcool
Senior User
Mar 18, 2005, 12:40 AM

Naw, they aren't all active. Just 7 are active. The others are either OS variations or other glitches that keep me from merging them.

Current Farm:
iBook 600 G3
iMac 1600 G5
Athlon 2400
Athlon 2800
AMD 64 3200
Pentium 4 3000
Pentium 4 3400

I was thinking that a "dual" something would be nice to fill the empty hub slot one of these days. Be a little while though.
Got the second 3400 online and formatting the drive on the third one now. Linux had problems so I am going to load windoz. Should have it up and going soon. Then I might have (3) 3400+, 3.2, and 3.0 running for a few days before one of the 3400 drops back off and gets replaced with the 2600+.

Be nice to see what the rate will jump to.
Tag ur it.

mikkyo
Senior User
Mar 27, 2005, 09:05 PM

Well we are making good progress toward 5th place, however a steamroller is coming up behind with about 3X our daily production.
They should overrun us in about a week.
Another week after that we will get overrun again.
So now would be a good time to increase output, take fifth while we can, and maybe push for higher.

There are enough people running Boinc to jump on Predictor and take us to 2nd place, if they wanted.
I currently have all my resources aimed at Predictor with Einstein and ClimatePredictor as the backups, if work runs out or the server goes down.
It would be great if others could add some punch to our crunch effort.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 11:52 PM

My production is starting to come back up, so that should help some. We need more power though.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 09:39 PM

Okay jbcool, Now is your big chance. Because of the problems I was having with some of the Predictor Windows units, I have split my power 70% Predictor and 30% Einstein to ensure my machines stay busy when I travel. If you throw everything you have at it, you might catch me someday on Predictor.

That's a challenge to everyone else too, (except mikkyo and drweaser who are both way ahead of me). Give it your best shot, either project.

jbcool
Senior User
Apr 2, 2005, 03:06 AM

Okay jbcool, Now is your big chance. Because of the problems I was having with some of the Predictor Windows units, I have split my power 70% Predictor and 30% Einstein to ensure my machines stay busy when I travel. If you throw everything you have at it, you might catch me someday on Predictor.

That's a challenge to everyone else too, (except mikkyo and drweaser who are both way ahead of me). Give it your best shot, either project.
Have you not noticed I givin' er all I got Captin'. Had 3 3400+ machines running for the last couple of weeks and just keeping in step with you.

Won't be catching you anytime soon. I have one less 3400+ now which will still put me behind you daily production with 30% of your power moved over to the Einstein project. I just pulled everything off Einstein to see if I can just keep up now.

I catch you just give me another six months or so. Ha ha ha.
( Last edited by jbcool; Apr 4, 2005 at 01:10 AM. )
Tag ur it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules