Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > que cdrw

que cdrw
tieracitano
Apr 8, 2000, 08:04 AM

I have a g4 and I have just purchased and installed a Que Firewire CDRW. None of my software seems to recognize the drive including Toast (I can read/write from within the program). When the Toast init loads at startup a red "X" appears over it. DirectCD and Retrospect Express4.2 says it cannot find a drive. Please Help!

Sturat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2000, 11:20 AM

I also had the same drive. I had to play around with turning it on at restart,ect and then launching Toast. What version of Toast?? My drive was defective and I never got ANY response from Que. I ended up returning it. Have you check your system profiler to see if it sees the drive?

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2000, 05:13 PM

I had some of the same trouble as you and nows it works fine, so here some info that might help.

1) The red X over the toast extension has nothing to do with burning. That extension is for mounting disk's with your burner however it is not compatable with firewire drives yet.

2) If you put the Que!Fire extension in the extentions folder and retarted then the version of Toast QPS sent you should recognize your drive (Toast 4.0.1.1 - I think).

3) Toast Deluxe 4.0 will not recognize your drive, how ever Toast Deluxe 4.0.2 should (I haven't been about to get 4.0.2 to install for some reason - keeps giving me an error and I've tried all suggestions, oh well)

4) On Adaptec's website, there is a driver for 8x Plextor/QPS Firewire drives. If you download this you will be able to use Toast Deluxe 4.0 with you Que!Fire Drive (This is what I use, and I've had Zero coasters)

5) Direct CD is not compatable with firewire drives yet.

6) I haven't had much experience with Retrospect Express. Sorry can' t help you there.

I just hope that Adaptec Updates DirectCD soon so I can use my drive as a Re-Write drive as well.

I hope this helped... If it didn't just ignore me

[This message has been edited by blizaine (edited 04-08-2000).]

Ken Boyden
Apr 11, 2000, 09:01 AM

blizaine, I'm not sure why you keep saying you need CD Direct to write a CDRW disk. I am able to write RW disks using the Toast 4.0.1.1 that came with the QueFire drive. I even saw an "Erase" command under one of the menu bar options. You just put the RW disk in the drive and do a "Write Disk" with Toast. Same as a CD-R write. Am I missing something here?

kEn

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2000, 02:36 PM

no your not missing anything... I'm just dumb

I've never tried that. I just figured that writing a re-writeable disc should be as easy on a Mac as it is for me on my PC at work. At work I just pop the disc in and I can drag stuff on and off of it, just like a Hard Drive.

I believe this is what DirectCD lets you do.

Later - Blaine

Kbee
Apr 11, 2000, 05:17 PM

Bliz, do you have a URL for the Plextor/QPS reader patch on Adaptec's site?

Thanks in advance

Kbee
I didn't even know what a nuclear pannerplant was!

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2000, 01:49 PM

Sure do:

ftp://ftp.adaptec.digisle.net/cd_recording_software/aol/plextor-qps-tdk_8x.hqx

That sould be a direct download.

Later - Blizaine

after expanding the file, just place it in your Toast Deluxe 4.0 folder.

ps. I just got my Toast Deluxe 4.0 to update to 4.0.2 and now that file isn't needed.

[This message has been edited by blizaine (edited 04-12-2000).]

welldonep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2000, 11:47 AM

Hello. I've had the same problem with my iMac DV. I posted as well, but received no responses so I thought I'd join in here. I've had many tech support calls with QPS without positive results. I thought of exchanging the Firewire drive for a USB model, but many postings suggest that it can only write at 2X . . . which is not as attractive for the same price . . . besides, this thing should work! I don't want to give up, but I've tried so many angles. Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules