Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How Do I Prebind In Tiger?

How Do I Prebind In Tiger?
bwahahax
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 11:13 AM

I used to do this using Cocktail 3.4.9 in Panther, but it seems the prebinding tab has disappeared in Cocktail 3.6.1.

I've heard there is a way to do this using the terminal.

I'd rather a GUI solution, but if the terminal is the only way, how would this be done?

Thanks.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:28 AM

Tiger has done anyway with prebinding in the traditional sense for a variety of reasons. There is no longer any real performance gain from prebinding (and this is why it's gone in Cocktail, for example). If you are hell-bent on doing prebinding for no reason, though, you can use:

sudo update_prebinding -debug -root / -force

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 11:29 AM

Jaguar, Panther and Tiger all prebind automatically any time you launch an unbound application the first time. There's basically no reason for the user to ever have to initiate it.

tooki

bwahahax  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 11:44 AM

I guess that's true most of the time. But, for instance, I installed Launchbar and after using it once, I edited an internal .plist so that the program would nolonger show up in the dock. For this to take effect the application needs to be prebound/prebinded again.

I found that by copying the program from the Applications to the Utilities folder the system prebound the application again and it disappeared from the dock.

Is re-prebinding necessary every time you modify the content of an application? In that case I there should be a quick and easy way to do it. If not, then hoorah, I shall retreat to my corner and continue to plot the demise of various TV stars.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2005, 01:59 PM

Umm, editing a plist would have zero effect on prebinding. Prebinding refers to linking to libraries, nothing less, nothing more. Unless you change the location of a library, or add or remove one, no prebinding needs updating.

tooki

bwahahax  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 04:33 PM

Sounds good.
Now that my prebinding days are behind me, I can spend more time plotting...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 04:57 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules