Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > BBX Omega: gone forever?

BBX Omega: gone forever? (Page 2)
christianclark
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
I really don't understand why so many people think he is so "great" in the mac community when he has not released a damn thing for us in terms of skinning. I really liked his icons but he has not done anything since..
That's what I said when Bill is just designed for the Windows Users. It's more easy for him, Bill to design for the Widowns than for us, OSX Users, I don't know the diference about that. Besides our OSX community is very small.

In the future, you will see a huge metamorphosis in the computer World. People will Forget all about Widowns and OSX, they will be a part in the history books.

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
It boils down to being paid. Billy is a working graphics artist. He gets *paid* to make those items for the SkinFactory...unless some *Mac* design/developer pays him to make graphics that you get to see, you won't. He doesn't get to say *No*, wmp is to gaudy. He needs to feed his family and pay bills like the rest of us. I still don't get why everyone thinks *ANY* artist or themer owes us someting....make it or not, teaser or not...if you want something bad enough, do it yourself or quit crying. Does anyone really think cyberworld promises are cast in stone? As for the bashing or the pseudo loss of credibility, I'm quite sure he doesn't give a crap and is laughing himself all the way to the bank to cash that check he just got.

Total 100% agreed !

Christian

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2005, 12:20 AM

While we are on the topic of people who seem to be disappeared: Where is Dragon Tongue? I know hi Wive is/was(?) very ill but afair he said she is getting better but since a few month nothing new on his site also He really did many great themes in a really short time.

FIRECOALMAN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 08:56 PM

http://www.mathgamehouse.com/mt/insi.../T3startup.gif
Hmmmmmm BBX Omega... (steady on now people... i'm just jibin'... have to admit though I still think it looks cool 2 years later !!!)
( Last edited by FIRECOALMAN; Aug 22, 2005 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation again ha! ha!)

christianclark
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=FIRECOALMAN wrote have to admit though I still think it looks cool 2 years later !!!)[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that. Maybe five years, it is all in Unsanity's hands now with progress of ShapeShifter.

I have to say that Omega will TOTAL replace Shinobi. I strongly believe that Omega will be the evolution of Shinobi.

Christian

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by FIRECOALMAN
http://www.mathgamehouse.com/mt/insi.../T3startup.gif
Hmmmmmm BBX Omega... (steady on now people... i'm just jibin'... have to admit though I still think it looks cool 2 years later !!!)
The preview image you linked to is NOT BBX Omega, it's a skin Billy did for Windows Media Player.

Here are the only BBX previews I've found:

( Last edited by MacDog; Aug 25, 2005 at 10:32 AM. )
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2005, 11:15 AM

I forgot how sweet those folders were...
wow

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2005, 08:38 PM

Aw... this threat just made me remember how much I wanted this theme :'(

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2005, 08:49 PM

A friend told me I was being 'dissed' at MacNN, so I thought I'd check it out. Didn't very far into the thread (quickly realized it was the same sh*t as it always is).

Omega's not gone (with the time I've put into it, far from it), it's just taking a back seat to:

• family (2 kids in the past 2 years - pure time and energy eaters my kids)
• house (just had one built and now trying to get settled)
• work (too many can't-refuse/high-profile jobs just keep coming in)
• life (surprise, some of us have one)

But to be honest I've also been discouraged by:

• talentless mouthy flame-bait weasels (in this forum in particular - the reason why I stopped coming here)
• the sheer hassle of building out OSX themes (seriously, OSX theme building sucks ass*)
• the never-ending year-after-year OSX updates that change/break everything and introduce a million new things that need skinning

So that's the low-down. As always, apologies to anybody actually looking forward to BBXing it in OSX someday (it will happen**), and of course a hearty 'f*ck you' to the worthless yet mouthy few responsible for destroying any enjoyment I once took in coming here to exchange ideas and get pumped about the possibilities.

Billy

* First off, Jason Harris is a coding genius and one hell of a nice guy (a saint even). Having said that, I'd still like to see a single UI for managing each size of pushbutton/tab/what-have-you in Themepark rather than have to slog through a billion and one resources every time I tweak a graphic. For instance, the ability to paste a single graphic in and drag/reposition guides (much like those in Photoshop) to determine origins/bounds and then have the code disassemble the graphic and put things where they need to go behind the scenes. The ability to reposition these guides would be important because I (and I'm sure others) like to cheat the system and incorporate wider caps o stretches for instance than Aqua uses.

** I've decided that I don't have the capacity/time/sanity these days to deal with both design and assembly of themes, so I'm working towards finalizing the designs (for Omega and Mirai right now) to the point where I can just hand them off to some poor soul with a good handle on assembly willing to do so for credit and/or pay (and when I get to that stage I'll be head-hunting I guess).

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 10:13 PM

Awesome. Since SS 2.2 Iv been using my own imitation Omega. A hue shifted version of Neos. I can't wait for the real deal though. Keep up the good work and try not to let the assholes of MacNN keep you from releasing it.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 25, 2005, 10:33 PM

How much you gonna charge for it?

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
How much you gonna charge for it?
No charge. Hey I noticed at AppleInsider that Apple is looking for someone to take on the next version of Aqua - hmmmm...

christianclark
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 01:46 AM

[QUOTE=bbxstudio]A friend told me I was being 'dissed' at MacNN, so I thought I'd check it out. Didn't very far into the thread (quickly realized it was the same sh*t as it always is).
Omega's not gone (with the time I've put into it, far from it), it's just taking a back seat to:
• family (2 kids in the past 2 years - pure time and energy eaters my kids)
• house (just had one built and now trying to get settled)
• work (too many can't-refuse/high-profile jobs just keep coming in)
• life (surprise, some of us have one)
• talentless mouthy flame-bait weasels (in this forum in particular - the reason why I stopped coming here)
• the sheer hassle of building out OSX themes (seriously, OSX theme building sucks ass*)
• the never-ending year-after-year OSX updates that change/break everything and introduce a million new things that need skinning
So that's the low-down. As always, apologies to anybody actually looking forward to BBXing it in OSX someday (it will happen**), and of course a hearty 'f*ck you' to the worthless yet mouthy few responsible for destroying any enjoyment I once took in coming here to exchange ideas and get pumped about the possibilities.
Billy[QUOTE=bbxstudio]

WOW! The creator has spoken!

that was awesome speech, Bill

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by bbxstudio
No charge. Hey I noticed at AppleInsider that Apple is looking for someone to take on the next version of Aqua - hmmmm...
LOL I hate anything of Aqua.

Christian

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2005, 10:39 AM

As someone who is both "looking forward to BBXing it in OSX" and one of the mouthy weasles who has heckled you from time to time it is great to hear from you.

Look at it like this: You showed me a picture of a new shiny bike and told me you'd give it to me as an X-mas present. X-mas came and went. Then you said, "ok, for your birthday" My birthday came and went. Still no shiny new bike.

Glad to hear there is a glimmer of hope. Now, when are you going to update you website?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

FB Eye
Senior User
Aug 26, 2005, 12:58 PM

Hey Billy,

Thank you so much for clearing up the matter for the 27th time maybe? Geez...

But so good to hear from you man, glad to know you're still around and kicking! Please don't despair over the teenagers here who are having trouble dealing with the overflow of hormones. Puberty is such a bitch, I know been there

And btw, I know of a few excellent TP mechanics who would probably die at the chance of working with you and assemble your mockups. Send me a PM and I'll hook you up!!!

Take care,
FB Eye™

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 01:51 PM

Do it. It's all I ever run nowadays (sorry to intrude on this forum ) and any refinement and added slickness is a plus in my book.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the update bbx! Regardless of what has been state, or even what state of completion Omega is in - just based on what you have shown so far, you are an amazing artist.

You know, if you wanted to be REALLLY nice, you could release some element of the theme - maybe the iTunes remote or the folders - just so people have something to play with until the theme becomes a reality.

But, yeah - Go for the Apple gui job! OMG - there's no way you wouldn't be able to get on that team. To have your aesthetic sense in the official OS X gui would be awesome!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by FB Eye
...And btw, I know of a few excellent TP mechanics who would probably die at the chance of working with you and assemble your mockups....
Me me me! I'd love to d o it. But I doubt I'm qualified. I mean, i think I could do it, but I am just to damn lazy and I get side tracked waaay to easily (ADD).

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 26, 2005, 05:39 PM

Apply for it. And make it look nothing like Aqua.

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2007, 01:05 AM

anyone?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 5, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bbxstudio View Post

Seems to be a trend. We've lost a lot of good people over the years.

Shame. You will be missed bbx.

Originally Posted by air View Post
anyone?
Well since Apple still has a closed GUI system, and SS still doesn't support the things he needs to get it made, and now he really has no motive for doing it since most everyone has been a jerk to him for what wasn't HIS fault. He can't help it if he was given empty stories of what he'd have during what time. He was just going by that.

If anyone has seen this guy's work, you know he is no poser.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 09:58 PM

Yeah that does seem to be a trend here.

Its really disappointing that apple has such a closed environment that makes people like BBX struggle incorporate his design into a theme.

Its curious how the Mac has always seem to attract the artist folks but they do not allow those people to express themselves by theming.

windows has windowblinds and a ton of themes because M$ made it easy. Too bad apple hasn't seen the light in this instance.

PimPamPet
Dec 6, 2007, 05:42 AM

Yes, Apple is very ignorant in this matter. If you make things Simple (remember?) it's easier to attract more people. Not to mention a healthy, vibrant community theming away!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 6, 2007, 06:38 AM

I wouldn't mind a single theme if it was consistent and useable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules