Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The old iBook was much better in terms of pure beauty and aesthetic appeal

The old iBook was much better in terms of pure beauty and aesthetic appeal
dgorog
Jun 12, 2001, 08:58 PM

It is such a shame they got rid of the magnificent colours. I heard a rumorsthey are bringing two colours back - Beige and Teak.

can anybody confirm this?

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: dgorog ]

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 09:07 PM

Mr dgorog, I have also heard a similar rumour however I was under the impression that the iBook would come in lavendar and Aqua!!

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say you prefer the pure beauty and aesthetic appeal of the old iBook. Obviously you are both blind and ugly.

I just wanted to know, do you have a Mac computer and let me know what you are running. I have heard that OSX is not really very good. I have had a play in my ice-book and I must tell you that I am not very impressed.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 09:12 PM

Yes, I've noticed you are from Australia. Apparently OS X has some problems running in the southern hemisphere. The increased gravitational effects of the southern hemisphere actually mean that you need to double click (instead of single) dock icons to get them to expand. They appear to be 'heavier'

Apple are working on a fix.

In regard to my opening statement, I feel the iBook is now simply too small. I found last week that I completely lost mine, only to have a colleague point out that it was open right in front of me. I hope Apple make them bigger so this doesn't happen anymore :-)

todrain
Senior User
Jun 12, 2001, 09:20 PM

I dunno... while I was really happy with my old iBook it was quite a pain to carry it around.... very bulky!!

While I have only had the new iBook for a short time, I already love how much smaller and lighter it is.... plue the pure white look is amazing. (and the light up Apple on the lid is cool too!)

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 09:21 PM

I am from Australia. How did you know that the double clicking was one of the problems I am experiencing. Do you know when the Southern update is due??

I experienced a similar problem the other day, except mine was with a certain appendage.

Maybe you can help me with this problem. I have a 2GS and am having trouble installing OSX - any suggestions??

Also my G4 running OS 7.1 is struggling with Office 2001.

My iBook is going beautifully....

Now all I need is a Porsche and I could die a happy man.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 09:25 PM

I recommend you install Logo 2.3b on your GS, and up your G4 to 7.5.5. It was always a more stable OS. I think MS Office 2003 will FINALLY be backwards compatible with OS 7.5.5. I can't wait. For the last 5 years I've had to use Notepad as my word processor. Plus I've got 2Gb of RAM in my G4, but 7.5.5 only recongnises 128Mb. What a waste!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2001, 09:33 PM

why do i get the feeling this thread is nothing more than a prolonged in-joke? because it's not very funny? yes, that's it.

-r.

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 09:36 PM

I have been using Logo on my 2GS however the turtle is strugling with the command 34R. I am not sure why. Montazumas Revenge is working beautifully.

As for my G4, System 7.5.5 sounds like the go. Maybe I sould start using WordPerfect 2.0 as my defult wordprocessor. I might have to use Macdraw a little more frequently now.

Back to my iBook for a second, it seems to be working quite well and burning has been fantastic (i would love a floppy disk drive for it, to use 2GS floppys). I watched 2 DVD's in bed this weekend and I must say that it is AMAZING!! The screen is soooooooo good.

I recommed the machine to everyone.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 09:45 PM

It really upsets me how people won't LISTEN TO YOUR PROBLEMS if you are running anything less the os 9.2 or 10.1. Why can't we talk Logo, why can't we talk os 7.5.5. Why not.

not everyone can afford the best and biggest.

BTW - Have you played Dark Castle, I just got it for my SE/30, its awesome. I think it might even have stereo sound.[/LIST]

Circa
Senior User
Jun 12, 2001, 09:49 PM

This is a strange thread.
Circa

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 09:54 PM

I was thinking exactly that dgorog. I cannot understand why someone would say that!!!

I have a few computers at home. I have my 2GS, my G4 and my new iBook. I also have an Atari 64 and a Sega Seirra. The graphics are great.

As we are supposed to be talking about the iBook, I will continue a little more...

Its so light that I always keep checking to make sure its in my bag. The Combo drive is the best thing ever invented. I am looking forward to the iBook 3.0 that will also have DVD burning. It will be awesome...

As for the colours, I have since read that the colours will probably remain the same until after MacWorld NY. Apparently they are bringing back updated versions of the Classic, Classic 2, SE series and Apple 2E (for gameplay only).

All I care about is an updated version of Printshop, its my mums birthday soon and I want to make a big banner - any suggestions??

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2001, 09:56 PM

i think this explains everything.

-r.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 10:00 PM

Print shop - ahh..the memories. I think a good substitute would be MacDraw, if I remember correctly it had a print option (but it used to crash my Lisa occasionaly). Other then that try using a nice black marker and doing it manually.

Do you think Macintosh owners have a higher IQ on average? I mean, I know you do Downunder Demon but I am unsure.

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 10:00 PM

Very funny rjenkinson. What do you Cannucks pay for a gram. It is sooooo expensive here. I can't afford it (now that I paid 4K for my iBook). I have to stick to acid and smack!!

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 10:04 PM

Just a quick question... has anyone noticed on their iBook a slight flex in center of keyboard when typing.

Also, dgorog it is quite obvious that us Mac (and Apple 2GS) users have a higher IQ than PC users. We are also better at sport, funnier, better looking and taller.

prolix
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 10:04 PM

The old ibook was so ugly. It looked like a damn toilet seat. To say that the old iBook design was beautiful you would have to be in kindergarden. The new ibook is more refined and professional looking. I don't want a computer that looks like fisher price made it.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 10:11 PM

Prolix, I think what you need is one of those new Dell's, or maybe a compaq. They are about as far from a Fisher Price computer as you can get.

Anyway, I painted my old iBook white and sold it on ebay as a new one hehehehehe. It was an original iBook so i also added my very own firewire port - using my dads 2/5 drill piece. I hope they don't test it with iMovie 'cause it won't work.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2001, 10:12 PM

I would have never considered buying one of the old iBooks. I've always wanted a laptop, but I could not justify spending over $2000 for a PowerBook. As much as I would have liked to buy one of the old iBooks because of the great price, I just despised the look of it.

Everything changed when the new iBook was released. I rushed to the Apple store to buy one. Everyone who has seen it at my apartment has ooh'd and aah'd at it. It makes a great centerpiece on my coffee table. It's lovely.

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: DamnDJ ]

Downunder Demon
Jun 12, 2001, 10:20 PM

Over $2000 for a Powerbook, Geez Damn Dj, that is nothing. Our iBooks are $4000 (combo drive). It is great and people always ohh and ahh when they see mine (they also like my iBook)....

dgorog you can stick you old iBook up the area on your body where the sun don't shine. We all agree that the new iBooks rock!!!

Did you know over 10 years ago I paid over $6000 for a 2GS. What a rip off. I wrote to apple last year and they gave me a voucher for US$800 at the on-line Apple Store. I suggest that all 2GS owners do the same thing. They had records of my purchase on their system (I wonder if they were using a 2GS), I had argued that it was 1) unfair to pay that much for a piece of crap and 2) was never updated and no new software was ever produced. It only took 3 weeks to get a reply with the voucher in it.

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
<STRONG>I would have never considered buying one of the old iBooks. I've always wanted a laptop, but I could not justify spending over $2000 for a PowerBook. As much as I would have liked to buy one of the old iBooks because of the great price, I just despised the look of it.

Everything changed when the new iBook was released. I rushed to the Apple store to buy one. Everyone who has seen it at my apartment has ooh'd and aah'd at it. It makes a great centerpiece on my coffee table. It's lovely. </STRONG>

dgorog  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 10:29 PM

I think your fibbing about that Downunder. But I did hear that Apple are changing their repair policy - now instead of you sending the computer back to them, they send you the parts and expect you to install/repair the computer yourself. Apparently it is much cheaper for them to do this. Plus, it voids the warrenty so they charge you next time the computer breaks. Very very clever. It comes down to this: You just can't outsmart Apple, not even you Downunder (or rjenkinson or prolix)

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Downunder Demon:
<STRONG>Just a quick question... has anyone noticed on their iBook a slight flex in center of keyboard when typing.
</STRONG>
Since that actually sounds like a serious question in this thread of silliness, I'll bite:
Try tightening the Magic Screw, otherwise known as the Num Lock Light. You need a really small flathead screwdriver. When tightened, it extends a doohickey that acts like a third keyboard latch. Really, no joke!
Now, if only I can get some of what you Aussies are smoking so I can understand the rest of the thread...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

<cockroach>
Jun 12, 2001, 11:41 PM

It's not what they're smokin' that's the problem .... here's your answer [URL=www.vb.com.au]

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 12:13 AM

A hard earned thirst needs a big cold beer and the best cold beer is Vic - Victoria Bitter.

Whether your working on your mac
Or discovering a Microsoft hack
Playing on your iBook
Or getting a dirty look
Going on the net
Or paying off an Apple debt
Writing in a forum
Sitting at work in boredom
The best cold beer is Vic.

Thanks for the tip on the iBook keyboard. Haven't experienced it yet, but I needed to know what to do if i do.

Anyone passed level one on MagRally?

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2001, 12:51 AM

The old model ibooks are beautiful machines.

Everyone has different opinions of course; the clam shell design is unusual. But when you see and touch one close up they are so well designed.

The use of colour is very appeasing and I feel the new ibook really is lacking here.

Ive got an indigo ibook and I wouldnt trade it for a new ibook. The specs are hardly different minus the xtra usb port and cdrw options.

MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 01:12 AM

Chip, you obviously haven't used the new iBook. I have it and my sister has the old one, can't compare. Its like saying that you prefer B&W TV over Colour (by the way Nu Zulland just got colour TV). C'mon accept the fact that you bought the dud iBook. Sorry.

dgorog  (op)
Jun 13, 2001, 01:25 AM

Sorry downunder - I am on Chimpmasters side - the old iBook runs circles around the new one - for one, the old book is bullet proof - not completely useful in Australian schools but critical in US schools. I have read reports that some US students have actually used their (1st Gen) iBooks as bullet proof vests. I wouldn't risk my life on a new book - they just don't cut it. And they aren't colourful either.

Downunder, stop taking the piss. A hard earnt thirst DOES deserve a big cold drink, and the best cold drink is Vic - Vic Bitter. :o

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 01:36 AM

dgorog you are right and wrong. You are right about the slogan (I was thinking about my poem and not my jingles) and also correct about the unnecessary use of a bullet proof vest downunder. You are wrong about the old iBook and also wrong about the new one being bulletproof.

I tested the new iBook and found that is can be worm as armour and is also more light weight than the previous toilet seat. This will allow the US student to run away from the 6 year old with the semi-automatic wepon. If I had a gun at home I would test it, but I don't live in Texas...

dante
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 03:32 AM

Bullet proof iBook could also come quite handy in Tasmania.

BTW, Cascade Pale ale is by far a better brew.

<cockroach>
Jun 13, 2001, 04:16 AM

Let's not forget Hoddle St either ....

ps I'm a Hahn Premium man myself ... but won't say no to most beers from Tasmania

Il Duce
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 06:13 AM

James Boags all the way
(although I'm a uni student, so I'm usually drinking thirsty dogs )
The Duke

dgorog  (op)
Jun 13, 2001, 07:24 PM

okay - now that we are on the beer subject I'll pose a question. If the new iBook was a type of beer, which would it be. While you are it, please also specify the type of beer that the old iBook would be.

New iBook - Corona - light, refreshing, adequate alcohol content but won't get you pissed.

Old iBook - Guiness - Not really a beer, funny to hold, strange colour, quirky.

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 07:48 PM

TiBook - VB Longneck - the best

By the way I think the new iBook is then a VB stubby - nearly as good as TiBook (if not better)

dgorog its nice to see you this morning. I was wondering if you would show your face again after yesterdays moronic claims

Has anyone written to Apple about the 2GS ripoff yet??

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 10:02 PM

Moving away from the beer topic for just a second. I was wondering if anyone thinks that the 2001 iBook is BETTER than the TiBook. I had a play with the TiBook yesterday and I think that "minime" is nicer, more portable, better layout (both keyboard and trackpad). The TiBook is only better because of the bigger screen and the faster processor, oh yeah and the whopper of a HD!!!!

Anyone disagree. Dgorog you little geek, what do you think - you started this thread!! You shoulkd change your name to either Silent Bob or Toobusyatshell.

<cockroach>
Jun 13, 2001, 10:03 PM

Ah Downunder Demon - I knew I had it right when I suggested VB was the cause of what you are. Not that I think its a bad thing as many a braincell died under the VB hammer in my youth. Since I drink a lot less I can afford a more 'upmarket' drink when I do - or maybe my tastes just moved on.

Anyway ... isn't it typical how Autralians always get onto the subject of beer .... guess we are stereotyped correctly. What were we talking about here .... ibooks wasn't it ?? Having only seen one briefly in the local city (Sydney) Apple shop I won't offer an opinion on which beer it relates to. I'm only sniffing around here gathering info on whether to get one and with which options. I would go with a 20gb combo RIGHT NOW if there were any around - 5 week wait from Apple I've been told as the reseller said only Apple flogs them in Aust ?? I want to do DV so I reckon I need the bigger drive.

Downunder Demon
Jun 13, 2001, 10:17 PM

I also wanted mine with 20G HG however I couldn't stand the wait. Apparently Apple will not validate the warrenty if anyone other than Apple Store (on the web) install the bigger drive. I was told that this will change in the coming months and you will consequently save on the upgrade price. I am also getting 256Meg external RAm put in. It is still running magnificently with the low specs. Go combo because it rocks.

You are making the assumption that I am young and haven't been drinking for very long, you are incorrect. I am a beer expert and been drinking the stuff for many years. While I love a Boags, Cascade Premium, Haan or Carlton I can't go past a VB. It is the true beer, just like a Mac is the true computer. I notice you are from Sydney, so obviously you are gay. I am surprised you actually drink beer.

COCKroach, I suggest you go for the iBook now and extend in time. I can't understand how you can SURVIVE the wait!!!

<cockroach>
Jun 13, 2001, 10:35 PM

Old Demon ... don't see where I said you were young or that you only drank VB .... just said I was young when I drank VB but take it as you will. Don't also assume I'm from Sydney ... lived here most of my years but there is a little of the Victorian countryside in my old bones. I always thought that explained my VB tendencies. I do drink beer (not NSW brewed muck though) and I'll leave you wondering about the gay bit you old homophobe you (although I'm wondering about that with your emphasis on the 1st 4 characters on my name - or then again maybe I am assuming things and you're really a girl and its penis envy !!).

On less personal stuff did you get the extra RAM from Apple or is there someplace in this land that does a reasonable price like the septics pay ?

dgorog  (op)
Jun 13, 2001, 11:39 PM

Sorry for my absense. I am unimpressed at how the conversation keeps steering away from beer discussion. If this continues I may need to start a new topic altogether.

Anyway, back onto iBooks - they are really at the bottom of the product matrix. Lets face it, anybody that didn't have a strict budget would opt for the TiBook - the bigger screen, the smooth Titanium feel. Let me put it this way. Which machine do you think Steve Jobs uses?

Downunder - I think you should do some more work. Your uncle doesn't pay you for nothing!

Cockroach - I think you should register. You are wasting posts.

Downunder - What are you doing tonight? Do you want to meet Kave and I for dinner?

dgorog  (op)
Jun 14, 2001, 12:13 AM

Does anybody know anything about the new CubeBook apple will be releasing on the 19th of July?

Downunder Demon
Jun 14, 2001, 12:27 AM

Firstly I will address the issue about Steve Jobs computer. I have been informed from a reliable source that Stevie uses a Dell.

Cockroach I am not a homophobe, I just dont like gays because they scare me!!

Dgorog I don't know who you are and stop asking me out. You must have me confused with someone else.

COCKroach I must appologise about the misunderstanding re: age and origin.

Off to a meeting because my BOSS actually pays me to scratch my arse. Off to my arse scratching meeting...

dgorog  (op)
Jun 14, 2001, 12:35 AM

This is all getting out of hand. Clearly the only solution will be to have a death match showdown between COCKroach and Downunder demon. I'm not exactly sure how that will work in an online environment...lets all meet up at Computers Now (whatever it is called now) and just have fight it out.

COCKroach, I have a feeling Downunder might actually be a girl masquarading as a guy (probably just to impress you).

Either way, i have to do some work.

<Playboyguy>
Jun 14, 2001, 12:54 AM

The new ibook is like red hot naked woman compare to the old ibook is like a shemale.

<playboyguy>
Jun 14, 2001, 01:02 AM

with my new ibook, and some naked women, I'm in heaven!

Downunder Demon
Jun 14, 2001, 01:43 AM

My guess, and call me crazy, is that our friend Playboyguy has only ever seen a naked women in a magazine. The closest he has come to a C U Next Tuesday was his mothers... is that you Joe???

As for Mr dgorog, you have no idea about computers do you? It is my guess that you work for some petrol company charging them a squillion dollars an hour to pick dry **** out of your arse. You probably use OSX and claim that your uptime is longer than your **** . I doubt it.

Anyway, I am going to stick to using my new iBook (which craps on the old one), and my 2GS and enjoy life. By the way has anyone in Melbourne looked outside.... do I hear the snow falling in the mountains - I think so. Buller me up. Now if only I could find someone with a place at Buller???

Originally posted by &lt;playboyguy&gt;:
<STRONG>with my new ibook, and some naked women, I'm in heaven! </STRONG>

dgorog  (op)
Jun 14, 2001, 03:08 AM

Can/Does Naomi ski? That is a general question. Please, anybody, feel free to answer.

Downunder Demon
Jun 14, 2001, 03:20 AM

I just did some research and after waiting on the phone for 10 minutes for some Apple bitch in Sydney I was told, and I quote "Apple has a policy not not discussing future product releases, I have also heard this rumour and while I cannot say it is true, I can also not deny it:"

Dgorog, I guess you might be on to something...

Originally posted by dgorog:
<STRONG>Does anybody know anything about the new CubeBook apple will be releasing on the 19th of July?</STRONG>
It will really piss me off because I just bought the iBook. Batsards.

<unregistered>
Jun 14, 2001, 03:26 AM

I will make one simple statement.

There WILL be a new addition to the 'book' side of the product matrix come MWNY.

TRUST ME. I KNOW

Downunder Demon
Jun 14, 2001, 03:30 AM

I have no idea why Apple would do this.

For some reason I think it to be true. The rumours are circulating like mad and after I spoke to the lady at Apple I have no doubt.... All us iBook owners are going to be screwed!!!!

dgorog  (op)
Jun 14, 2001, 03:33 AM

first of all, if you are going to post things like that at least use your name. Secondly, what are your sources?

True, we have all read numerous web reports suggesting the new book will have removable screen, handwriting recognition, a price point between the TiBook and the iBook and be the most amazing Apple product ever, but who really believes it.

Clearly we'll just have to wait and see.

Apple, if you are listening...give us a sign. Please give us a sign, or just an update to OS X? (actually both if you've got the time)

XRA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 07:42 AM

To the original post, I don't think it was better(I had an Indigo) , it's just a different design. Not as bulky, smaller, lighter,.. the whole bit.

Downunder Demon
Jun 14, 2001, 07:24 PM

This comment is typical of a Texan...

Originally posted by XRA:
<STRONG>To the original post, I don't think it was better(I had an Indigo) , it's just a different design. Not as bulky, smaller, lighter,.. the whole bit.</STRONG>
Get with the program, man. We are not talking about that anymore. Things have changed we are moving on and you should move with us. Get with the program.

dGorog, heard any more about the cube book.?

My dad (works at Mac's Place) also reckons its a certainty!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules