Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Damn expensive down under

Damn expensive down under
andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2001, 04:40 PM

The basic iBook costs NZ$4274!!!!!!!!! New Zealanders are getting screwed!

How does the maths work out? It doesn't.

US$1299 for a standard iBook at retail price.

exchange rate of NZ$1 = US$42cents = NZ$3092

Then add #$%#ing GST of 12.5% = $3478

So there's an $800 dollar markup on top of the standard retail price.

ARRRGGHHHHHHGGHHH....no wonder we're such a minority down here.

Anyone from around finding this problem?

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 06:09 PM

Hmmm... let's see,

I ordered from the German Apple Web Store an iBook CDRW/128M/10G

DM 4299 -> US$ 1883.50

it is listed at the US Store for

US$ 1599 -> DM 3649

so I guess I am getting US$ 284 worth of 'free' shipping. Not much of a deal...

DrIcaro

iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 06:48 PM

Well if you don't pay for the Head of Apple in your country's house and car and the private schooling for their children and the multiple business trips to the US - who will

I know - I am sick of the incredible markup that we non-US Mac fans have always had to pay. Apple won't listen - as far as they're concerned we will part with our money regardless - how much is up to them.
this sig intentionally left blank

andymcdeee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2001, 08:08 PM

Nice to have an aussie agreeing with me. Rare but somewhat refreshing.

I'm thinking of getting one sent from the US. If only the apple store would do international orders. That would scare the bollocks of the local satanic sales reps.

Aussiezz
May 25, 2001, 04:12 AM

The CD model is about $2995 for the iBook here in Auss. If i was you, i'd ring a Aussie store to check if they have an ibook in stock, then take a 2 day trip over here from NZ and buy it. It would prolly still work out cheaper then if you bought it in NZ! Check out the prices for a return trip to SYD.

EebyGeeby
May 25, 2001, 07:15 AM

sounds like you guys need some friends in the US. You mean to tell me that there is no way you could get an iBook from a friend in the States and have him/her ship it to you? There's gotta be an AOL buddy out there or something. . .lol. I'm sure it'd be a heck of a lot less than $800. and simply invest in a AC converter (if needed) and ta-da! you're in business. . .is that too hard or illegal where you're from or something?

let me know. . .

------------------
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. . .
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. . .

. . .and as always folks, please remember to rewind your DVDs

matrk
May 25, 2001, 07:55 AM

alternatively, you could get a new iBook bought and sent from singapore, malaysia or hereabouts for much the same price as the US:
ibook cd = RM5199, which is about A$2599. and so on.
there are a few mail order houses around here that do such deals; do a search and you'll find... try www.18all.com for one.

ani b.
May 25, 2001, 03:51 PM

I was checking out prices at the Apple Store in Australia, because i am moving there in a few months. Their prices already include 10% tax, so it really is not that bad. if you have a friend in a university, the Education prices on the iBooks are about A$200 cheaper and they already include a 3 year warranty. ~A$3200 for an iBook/DVD, i calculated it to about A$20 more expensive than buying one from the US and getting Apple Care separately. so i think i'll just wait until i get there to buy one.

Aussiezzzzzz
May 26, 2001, 01:06 AM

If any NZ's want to buy an iBook or Powerbook from Auss, and get someone to ship it to them let me know. I have a friend who runs an Apple shop here in Bunbury (W.A) so not only can i get discounts, we can send them straight to you. You can contact me on [email protected]

andymcdeee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by EebyGeeby:
sounds like you guys need some friends in the US. You mean to tell me that there is no way you could get an iBook from a friend in the States and have him/her ship it to you? There's gotta be an AOL buddy out there or something. . .lol. I'm sure it'd be a heck of a lot less than $800. and simply invest in a AC converter (if needed) and ta-da! you're in business. . .is that too hard or illegal where you're from or something?

let me know. . .
Not illegal. Which is nice - and the power things no problem either. It's always a risk though. Independant shipping and then if something goes wrong theres no support. Would be nice just to have someone here.

Aussiezzzzzz - Thanks for the offer (I know it wasn't directed just at me) - I might just take you up on it.

davi
May 30, 2001, 06:31 PM

All Apple portables include a global warranty. I called Apple Australia and they said that regardless of where you bought your iBook or PowerBook, they will assume the standard 12 month warranty, provided you can provide proof of purchase.

dante
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 10:21 PM

I don't AUS$2995 is that bad, when you consider the state of the australian dollar.

Has anyone in Aus (or NZ) seen the new iBook yet. Still waiting in Hobart.

------------------

kooBi
May 31, 2001, 06:13 AM

Carn the iBook!

Good to see so many Aussies/Enzies on this forum. Oi oi oi! Seems really ridiculous that the prices in NZ are so high... but apparently the cars there are cheaper?!? Anyway, surely you have mates here in Aus (esp. in the edu system) that travel back to NZ on occasion? Good luck.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 07:17 AM

For some time, the cheapest way to buy a Powerbook in the UK has been to fly to New York and buy one yourself.

Crazy.

(Of course, you get the added benefit of not paying VAT when you smuggle it through customs).

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 08:35 AM

The Australian $ is currently at just under 54 us cents.

that means the entry level ibook at $2995 AUS = $1617 US

The entry level ibook in the US costs $1299, or $2405 US.

Now, whack on 10% Gst, and perhaps shipping recovery which is hidden, I think $1499 US or around $2795 would be a reasonable converted cost. Its a shame they mark it up over here isnt it? I spose the justify it by the fact that they will sell so many less units per square metre than they would in the states (population density means a lot for retail).

Oh well, I just consider myself lucky not to live in nz.....
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules