Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PowerBooks When?

New PowerBooks When?
cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2001, 04:41 PM

I am heading back to school soon and I need a new machine. I loved seeing the AutoCAD demo at MWNY cause it was FAST. But anyway back to the topic, I need a laptop next semester. The rest of my department will be carrying Inspirons and I refuse to get one. So what I need to know is when the new books are coming out. I have waited past 3 previous supposed release dates and I am getting a bit impatient. This generation is beginning to show its age and that CDRW rebate ends September 3rd. I would love to know if this is the real date. Anyone who could help me out would be doing me a huge favor. If you know info and do not want to publish it, Please e-mail me!!!!! I need to know soon.

Thanks,
Nick

<Fed up>
Aug 2, 2001, 05:40 PM

NOBODY knows, Goofy. Not one solitary geek in these forums can tell you when the new Powerbooks will be unveiled, much less shipping to the general public. So if you need a Powerbook - buy one.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 05:48 PM

New PowerBooks will likely be introduced either at Seybold or the Apple Expo Europe at the end of September. I'm anxiously awaiting this as well, I want to get a Rev. B TiBook with either an ATi RADEON Mobility or an nVidia GeForce2Go Graphics chipset and a combo drive.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

<Happy Chopper>
Aug 2, 2001, 05:55 PM

I just bought a G4 400 mhz Powerbook. Free CDRW, carrier case and a few hundred pounds knocked off. Reading past threads on this top forum have got me worried, but I reackon the new bottom line will be 500/550 mhz, maybe internal CDRW and it will probably cost more. Thats just a wild stab, but I'm holding my breath, nothing revolutionary. Its fast enough for me now. Photoshop and After Effects on the move mostly. How can a laptop be the greatest thing in the world two months ago and now a waste of money? I know its out of date as soon as you get it out of the shop, but my (all be it limited) knowledge of apple means new powerbook annonced at the end of Septemeber, start shipping in October, maybe later in the UK, special offer in Novemeber, better special offer in December, MacWorld in January. Buy one now, so I don't think I'm the only one.

I just hope I'm not pissed off in September.

Fingers crossed

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Happy Chopper&gt;:
<STRONG>I just bought a G4 400 mhz Powerbook. Free CDRW, carrier case and a few hundred pounds knocked off. Reading past threads on this top forum have got me worried, but I reackon the new bottom line will be 500/550 mhz, maybe internal CDRW and it will probably cost more. Thats just a wild stab, but I'm holding my breath, nothing revolutionary. Its fast enough for me now. Photoshop and After Effects on the move mostly. How can a laptop be the greatest thing in the world two months ago and now a waste of money? I know its out of date as soon as you get it out of the shop, but my (all be it limited) knowledge of apple means new powerbook annonced at the end of Septemeber, start shipping in October, maybe later in the UK, special offer in Novemeber, better special offer in December, MacWorld in January. Buy one now, so I don't think I'm the only one.

I just hope I'm not pissed off in September.

Fingers crossed</STRONG>
Thing is, I doubt Apple would ONLY have it with an internal CD-RW. The CD-RW iBooks were in such poor demand that Apple decided to have that be BTO and have Combo drive iBooks be standard. So, I really think Apple will move to combo drives for the entire PowerBook line in the next revision.

[email protected]

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 06:38 PM

I will bet on Paris for the new Ti. Since I may get one (lowend if there isn't any significant difference such as video-card) and sell my new iBook, I am very concerned about this issue. The one big question mark will be if we will have a combo-drive. Since, I haven't seen a slot-loading combo-drive, we may just get a DVD with the VST burner bundled. I would be happy with that I think...

Apple Otaku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 06:39 PM

Good point Norm1985. I'm selling my 500Mhz TiBook in a few weeks in anticipation of new models. I did not give this any though when MWNY rolled around but now I am. Phil Schiller is keynoting Seybold with a satellite introduction by Steve Jobs from an "undisclosed" location. Could that location be Paris by any chance? Hmmmm...

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Apple Otaku ]
Apple Otaku

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2001, 10:13 PM

New PowerBooks will likely be introduced either at Seybold or the Apple Expo Europe at the end of September
....and you came to this conclusion on your own? Or do you have some inside info you'd like to share? Just curious.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
<STRONG>

....and you came to this conclusion on your own? Or do you have some inside info you'd like to share? Just curious.</STRONG>
Well, considering...
  • 1. The CD-RW deal ends in September.
    2. The PowerBook by then will have not been changed in 8 months!
    3. Many Wintel professional class laptops now have nVidia GeForce2Go graphics chipsets.
    4. Many Wintel professional class laptops either have a combo drive or both a CD-RW and DVD drive such as Dell.
    5. Steve likes to announce these things ussaly at an Expo. I doubt there will be a press event because it's already August and he hasn't announced one.

[email protected]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2001, 12:49 AM

That might be, but it's still speculation. It would be great if Apple could just announce products whenever, instead of needing an Expo. I know we all love the excitement of these things, but releasing products on a more regular basis would be really nice.

applenut1
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Norm1985:
<STRONG>

Well, considering...
  • 1. The CD-RW deal ends in September.
    2. The PowerBook by then will have not been changed in 8 months!
    3. Many Wintel professional class laptops now have nVidia GeForce2Go graphics chipsets.
    4. Many Wintel professional class laptops either have a combo drive or both a CD-RW and DVD drive such as Dell.
    5. Steve likes to announce these things ussaly at an Expo. I doubt there will be a press event because it's already August and he hasn't announced one.
</STRONG>
gee, sure sounds a lot like last year

and what did we get? a quiet HD bump

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2001, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by applenut1:
<STRONG>

gee, sure sounds a lot like last year

and what did we get? a quiet HD bump </STRONG>
There was no big evidence for a new PB last Sept. but this year, we have the promotion (bundling) date that is the most feasible evidence we can find.

Kyosho88
Aug 3, 2001, 02:38 PM

I think the new Powerbook Rev won't be available until January. Just because Apple is having a promotion and is given away a free CDRW doesn't mean the new PB G4 Rev is coming out. All the Mac dealer like MacZone, Macconnection, MacWarehouse and others have been giving away free stuff like Ram, battery and other things for a long time now. If you want a PB G4 TI just buy it now...I have one and it great. All of my PC friends and co-worker love the PB G4 TI and can't stop saying how much they love it and would love to buy one.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2001, 05:11 PM

I refused to believe that there would be a Ti rev. in July but I never thought about having the same old debate for Sept. events.

applenut1
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>

There was no big evidence for a new PB last Sept. but this year, we have the promotion (bundling) date that is the most feasible evidence we can find.</STRONG>
bad memory.

Apple had an education deal that brought the low end Powerbook down to 1999 and I think the high end to 2999. there were also many many more hints as to a new powerbook rev last fall but nothing materialized (Mercury Rising? )

Apple Otaku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by applenut1:
<STRONG>

bad memory.

Apple had an education deal that brought the low end Powerbook down to 1999 and I think the high end to 2999. there were also many many more hints as to a new powerbook rev last fall but nothing materialized (Mercury Rising? )</STRONG>
As I recall, the bump in HD space and lower price was done only because revised iBooks were released that made the PowerBooks unattractive. They didn't want the iBooks to steal all the sales. That's all that was.
Apple Otaku

applenut1
Senior User
Aug 4, 2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Apple Otaku:
<STRONG>

As I recall, the bump in HD space and lower price was done only because revised iBooks were released that made the PowerBooks unattractive. They didn't want the iBooks to steal all the sales. That's all that was.</STRONG>
no. the the lower price deal ended August 31. new iBooks were introduced in late September @ Paris. Of course the HD bump was to make the Powerbook a little bit more comparable to the iBook

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 09:51 AM

I'm hearing the new PowerBook won't appear until after the Expo in Paris. New iMacs in Paris, New "Son of Pismo" and an update of the Ti after that. A lot of this is culled from other message boards and rumor sites. Just remember what happened when so many folks got their hopes up based on this kind of info in July.

blot
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2001, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
<STRONG>I'm hearing the new PowerBook won't appear until after the Expo in Paris. New iMacs in Paris, New "Son of Pismo" and an update of the Ti after that. A lot of this is culled from other message boards and rumor sites. Just remember what happened when so many folks got their hopes up based on this kind of info in July.</STRONG>
If you believe what Mac OS rumors has to say, the "SOP" was probably more a figment of some very active imagination.

Sept or not, I'll be waiting. Meanwhile, I'm still relishing the use of my Ti.

<appletiser>
Aug 5, 2001, 02:15 PM

Following a business lunch with Steve Jobbs and Bill Gates I can confirm that there will be no more updates in any way for any computer as the three of us have decided to create an exiting new IT world where slower is better, making people spend longer at work and draining them of energy and creativity. This allows myself, Gates and Jobbs (who are lovers) to spend our money and time on our new goal - World War.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Aug 5, 2001, 10:08 PM

Damn unregistered PC users...

it works this way: You buy Ti now, new Ti announced next day.

So go buy one, so the rest of us can see what the next Ti looks like, OK?

(Pismo user... 5 months before Ti, 2 months before price reduction)
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

itim55
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 12:52 PM

I sincerely hope that a new TiBook is coming at Apple Expo Paris. I'm dying to upgrade to a good mobile game machine, so I'm waiting for the new 'Book with a better graphics card. If that won't happen until January, I'll be VERY pissed off. I mean, come on! The PowerBook line is old, saggy, and looking pretty due for an update.(No offense to current TiBook owners )
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2001, 01:52 PM

If there is no upgrade until September then I might have to get a PC. I need a laptop for school, and I need one that can run AutoCAD, which is why I need a new Powerbook that is faster. But don't panic, if I have to buy a PC laptop it will be a Comcrap so I can get an iBook too.

Have a great one,
Nick

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 02:05 PM

I bought my pismo at this time last summer on that education deal. Pismo 400 for $1999. Not bad but I had to up the RAM and the 6 GB HD has come back to haunt me. Everyone knew that SOMETHING was going to happen to the machine at Paris. I was relieved to see that it was just the hard drive. Since that time I have bought a 20 GB FW external and I am still cramming. I need to get a new 30 GB internal soon. I have a $225 toshiba free card that I plan on using towards that baby.

<�ig�>
Aug 6, 2001, 02:54 PM

There must be higher resolution screen for TiBook in Paris otherwise I'm uninterested.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 09:38 PM

I am the ultimate barometer for upgrades. I have a Comet 2400 that I refused to upgrade due to the "pending" release of the new iBook. One Apple event or trade show after another passed with only speed bumps to the old style iBook. Finally I relented and sent my Comet to MCE for bigger hard drive, Cardbus enable, and a custom RAM chip from Japan boosting my total RAM to 112 MB (96 + 16). Naturally, two weeks later the new iBook made the scene. Naturally.

As soon as I relent and buy a Ti, I'll post here to let everyone know the upgrade is imminent.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2001, 09:46 PM

Perhaps on the new version we will be able to type on the Tibook and not have the $#@! keys POP OFF into our faces. We won't have to tear our hair out over how to get the STUPID TiBOOK to work when connected to a TV. Just plug it into the S-video jack and it will work...JUST LIKE MY OLD SAGER PC LAPTOP DOES RIGHT NOW. We won't have to barbeque OUR LAPS on THE @#$! Bottom of the TiBook; it will have a mini liquid intercooler, sort of like the Volvo. We wont have to worry about our TiBooks getting stolen; they will arm themselves with a 20,000 volt exterior charge, shocking the thief...MUCH LIKE THE @$#! POWERBOOKS ALREADY DO to some of their owners TODAY....They will have a real unpainted silver finish that wont @$#!! chip and scratch while being handled like an INFANT...They will have speakers that you can HEAR over @$%! ambient noise. They will not have weak components like a STINKING 8 MB VRAM chip that can't even run a DVD... so you have to use a software player that gives GAGGING HESITATIONS... They will not loose there feet every @#$&! MONTH...Their exterior will be bullet proof so if the homies in your neighborhood start CAPPING each other you can use the Powerbook as a shield instead of having it develope a %@#! hairline CRACK for NO APPARENT REASON.

That, gentlemen is my dream Power book for the future. They will also have a LIFETIME GUARANTEE AND A SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT WON'T BLAME THE TiBOOKS PROBLEMS ON YOU AND LEAVE YOU HOLDING THE $#@! BAG...To bad it's all just a $#%&! PIPE DREAM that Apple will probably drag it's feet on until 2010.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: buddy1065 ]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2001, 10:40 PM

Perhaps on the new version we will be able to type on the Tibook and not have the $#@! keys POP OFF into our faces. We won't have to tear our hair out over how to get the STUPID TiBOOK to work when connected to a TV. Just plug it into the S-video jack and it will work...JUST LIKE MY OLD SAGER PC LAPTOP DOES RIGHT NOW. We won't have to barbeque OUR LAPS on THE @#$! Bottom of the TiBook; it will have a mini liquid intercooler, sort of like the Volvo. We wont have to worry about our TiBooks getting stolen; they will arm themselves with a 20,000 volt exterior charge, shocking the thief...MUCH LIKE THE @$#! POWERBOOKS ALREADY DO to some of their owners TODAY....They will have a real unpainted silver finish that wont @$#!! chip and scratch while being handled like an INFANT...They will have speakers that you can HEAR over @$%! ambient noise. They will not have weak components like a STINKING 8 MB VRAM chip that can't even run a DVD... so you have to use a software player that gives GAGGING HESITATIONS... They will not loose there feet every @#$&! MONTH...Their exterior will be bullet proof so if the homies in your neighborhood start CAPPING each other you can use the Powerbook as a shield instead of having it develope a %@#! hairline CRACK for NO APPARENT REASON.

That, gentlemen is my dream Power book for the future. They will also have a LIFETIME GUARANTEE AND A SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT WON'T BLAME THE TiBOOKS PROBLEMS ON YOU AND LEAVE YOU HOLDING THE $#@! BAG...To bad it's all just a $#%&! PIPE DREAM that Apple will probably drag it's feet on until 2010.
Or perhaps the update to the Ti will be just a faster proc, better vid card and a combo driive.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2001, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>I need a laptop for school, and I need one that can run AutoCAD, which is why I need a new Powerbook that is faster.</STRONG>
At the most, it will be upgraded 100Mhz, which is not noticeably faster anway.

And I don't believe they'll have combo drives that can fit inside that thing.

blot
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 05:04 AM

Do you think Apple may mod the Ti to a tray loading CDRW/DVD combo unit? Also, 700Mhz G4 would be good. - yeah, in my dreams -

Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>If there is no upgrade until September then I might have to get a PC. I need a laptop for school, and I need one that can run AutoCAD, which is why I need a new Powerbook that is faster. But don't panic, if I have to buy a PC laptop it will be a Comcrap so I can get an iBook too.</STRONG>
you won't be able to really run AutoCad (from within Virtual PC I'm assuming, since it's PC only) any faster on whatever comes out, it's not like the next Ti will be dual 800's. I have a Ti 500 and it's great, though I haven't tried autocad on it yet... which brings me to my next question...

are you my twin?

Because I'm going to have to use AutoCad for school, even though I love macs, and my dream motorcycle (or vehicle of any kind) is a Honda CBR F4 600... which happens to be your screen name.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Tzaar
Aug 7, 2001, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by itim55:
<STRONG>I sincerely hope that a new TiBook is coming at Apple Expo Paris. I'm dying to upgrade to a good mobile game machine, so I'm waiting for the new 'Book with a better graphics card. If that won't happen until January, I'll be VERY pissed off. I mean, come on! The PowerBook line is old, saggy, and looking pretty due for an update.(No offense to current TiBook owners )</STRONG>
are you crazy? Saggy?? I can't believe it's come to the point where a G4 500 with 512 RAM incased in a 1" thin titanium case is SAGGY!!!!!!! You people expect too much. My ti is fine for me, and I laugh in your general direction when you've waited 9 months for a 100mhz speed bump. What else are they going to do? Put on a cooler case? No, it already kicks ass. Make it thinner? No, it might snap. Make it lighter? If you've got problems lugging 5.3 pounds around there are other issues at hand. Make the screen wider? Not going to happen. So, in the end you'll have pretty much the same laptop with a slightly faster processor, a beefier (but not much) video card and possibly a larger harddrive. You won't see a DVD/CD-RW, 'cause nobody makes a slot loading one, which is why it isn't on the imac line.

I'm just sorry that you waited so long to get one.
Mine Kicks Ass.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Tzaar:
[QB]
You won't see a DVD/CD-RW, 'cause nobody makes a slot loading one, which is why it isn't on the imac line.
QB]
What about the CD-RW in the G4 Cube.. That was slot loading..

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 10:49 AM

[QB]
You won't see a DVD/CD-RW, 'cause nobody makes a slot loading one, which is why it isn't on the imac line.
[QB]
And in fact all iMacs in the current product line have CD-RW.

<�ig�>
Aug 7, 2001, 01:36 PM

<STRONG>Make the screen wider? Not going to happen.</STRONG>
Sure, but it must have higher resolution! Like iBook.

Tzaar
Aug 7, 2001, 03:58 PM

double post

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Tzaar ]

Tzaar
Aug 7, 2001, 04:00 PM

In response to the above three posts:

to spin cycle:
point taken on the cubes, but I was unaware those were combo drives. I thought that they were just CD-RW drives.

Also, yes, the imacs all do have slot loading cdrw drives, but I said combo drives, which is a different story.

And &lt;&lt;ig&gt;&gt;, you're right, it could be a higher res screen.

Tzaar

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 05:35 PM

<STRONG>
point taken on the cubes, but I was unaware those were combo drives. I thought that they were just CD-RW drives.
</STRONG>
They weren't combo drives.

<mugwump1>
Aug 7, 2001, 06:58 PM

Come on now, Tzaar. That's great about your purchase of the TiBook, but for the bunch of us with g3 powerbooks waiting for a good reason to upgrade, the performance of the current g4 powerbook is certainly lacking.

-The g4 was touted as 30% faster than any pc laptop. Well Intel just announced 1.1 gHz laptops in the next month or two, with the Powerbooks sputtering behind at 500 mhz.

-Apple should take the current iBook screen and cut it wider for the Powerbook, giving it better resolution for OS X.

-The current firewire is slower than the iBook's firewire transfer rates.

-The current video card is old hat.

-OS X runs faster with a 133mhz bus speed compared to the current 100mhz.

Basically, the current powerbook is the Pismo with a g4 chip glued on, which could stand some improvements in the area of Performance. Of course the external case is DA BOMB, but that's only half the story when trying to edit with Final Cut Pro and DVD studio pro...

Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>

They weren't combo drives.</STRONG>
saltines is right, they have slot loading cd-rw and slot loading dvd (imacs and cubes) but they don't have slot loading combo drives. if they could make a slot loading combo drive, and it was small enough, then why didn't they put it on the iBook? Beacuse they can't make them (or couldn't by Macworld). Maybe the next Ti's will have them, but I'd buy it without a burner anyway, because for the $300 extra I'd be spending, I could get a faster firewire one. Unless of course, you have to burn iMovies of your girlfriend and her dog while you're sitting on an airplane... in that case, you better wait

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

<Smacsteve>
Aug 7, 2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by blot:
<STRONG>Do you think Apple may mod the Ti to a tray loading CDRW/DVD combo unit? Also, 700Mhz G4 would be good. - yeah, in my dreams -</STRONG>
No. I have it on good authority that the reason the TiPB wasn't upgraded at MWNY was because the slot loading CD-RW/DVD wasn't ready for release. They wouldn't redesign the case to go backwards to the tray loading. It just dosen't make sense.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 02:52 PM

<STRONG>In response to the above three posts:

to spin cycle:

Also, yes, the imacs all do have slot loading cdrw drives, but I said combo drives, which is a different story.

And &lt;&lt;ig&gt;&gt;, you're right, it could be a higher res screen.

Tzaar</STRONG>
My Bad, missed that part

CityGuy2003
Aug 8, 2001, 03:10 PM

we should (HOPEFULLY) new PB's no later than paris. the current offer (free cd-rw) ends at the beginning of september and gives apple enough time to clear distribution channels before an update. hopefully well see them faster (at least 733mhz, i hope). definetly with combo drives, or at least cd-rw standard. but of course we'll just have to wait and see.

also, i dont think anybody could consider the current PB "saggy"

cbr600f4  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Avenir

are you my twin?

Because I'm going to have to use AutoCad for school, even though I love macs, and my dream motorcycle (or vehicle of any kind) is a Honda CBR F4 600... which happens to be your screen name.
Yeah, maybe I am your twin. After converting over from the dark side nearly 8 years ago I have been avoiding Windows like the plague. I am hoping to run AutoCAD inside VPC which is why I want it fast! I am hoping to get a CBR sometime. Had to wait until I was 18 cause the parents have not been too keen on the idea...but I want a rocket really really bad! But anyway I hope Apple can get these machines out fast...if not, I guess I can wait a bit longer, after all I was one of those fools thinking it would arrive at my doorstep in May.

Have a great one all!
Nick

Tzaar
Aug 9, 2001, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by &lt;mugwump1&gt;:
<STRONG>-The g4 was touted as 30% faster than any pc laptop. Well Intel just announced 1.1 gHz laptops in the next month or two, with the Powerbooks sputtering behind at 500 mhz.
</STRONG>
O jeez... not this again. Look, you're comparing apples and oranges when you compare a 500mhz G4 with a 1.1ghz PIII. It just doesn't work that way. It was toted at it's debut as %30 faster than a PIII 800, so if you want to try to put it into the same units that would put it as fast as a PIII 1.04ghz. Apple just doesn't need a HUGE upgrade. That, and I don't want it to get one, 'cause then MY tibook won't be as cool.

<AI refugeeeeeeee>
Aug 13, 2001, 06:00 PM

Check out applenut's "Onyx Rising ( " thread over at the new AI forums

http://www.xsorbit.com/users/flamingo/index.cgi?board=Future_Hardware&action =display&num=997314822

Fran441, Bodhi, Applenut, MacAddict, Eskimo, Groverat, Kate, MacAgent, MacotheIsles and many more people are over there already... check it out!

Sturat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2001, 10:18 PM

Everybody guesses way ahead of the game.... There might be a speed bump in the short term but the next BIG upgrade will be spring of 2002. We all can speculate but looking at the past I'll bet money on this one.

Every man has his own cosmology and who can say that his own theory is right. - AE

<quomp>
Aug 16, 2001, 02:06 PM

Ok - Here is a question...

With everyone almost taking for granted the upgrade to a COMBO drive - but wait, how is this possible - has anyone seen a computer with a one inch form factor utilizing a CDRW / DVD drive?

I am worried.

If no-one has one and no-one has announced one then how is Steve going to put one into the new book?

Apple don't make complete componants do they? I thought they just bought what was available. Is this not true? Are Apple capable of adapting a 'fatter' drive to fit?

I want to see it - I just hope I do...

JLock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2001, 02:09 AM

Don't you think When OS 10.1 is released (DVD Playback), the revised PB G4's will debut with the combo drive and other previous mentioned upgrades????

Macconnection Sucks

Forum Links
Forum Rules