Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OmniWeb Beta 7

OmniWeb Beta 7
SYN
Senior User
Nov 3, 2000, 10:10 AM

Wow, this release basically adds all the features that I felt were missing, such as cycling through windows and selecting the adress field when opening a new window, all I can say is, KUDOS OMNI!!!

Now just gimme autofill, and I'll go crazy.

------------------
Soyons r�alistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Vlad
Nov 3, 2000, 10:33 AM

KUDOS OMNI????

This release is awfully slow. The Beta 6 wasn't a speed champ, but this one gone too far, I'll keep using the beta 6 but only for my scrolling wheel. IE and Icab are faster (IE in classic runs very well too; with quicktime plug-ins working).

I can't wait for USB orverdrive (or mouseworks) to get carbonized then goodbye Omniweb and those stupid drawers.

Vlad

P.S. OK OmniWeb is not so bad, guess I'm a little deceived by the speed lost, while I was waiting an improvement.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2000, 10:42 AM

The major problem I've seen with OmniWeb has to do with its multithreaded architecture for downloading items.

The problem with this comes when you view one Web page, then decide to go to another before the first page is done downloading. Because of the multiple threads, the first page will keep on downloading until it's done, even though there's nothing left to display it (this is the "Orphans" list in the Processes window).

If OmniWeb terminated orphaned threads as they downloaded, I think we'd see a definite speed increase.

Also of note, incidentally, is that each part of a page (external scripts, images, etc) are also spawned off into threads, and each of these threads takes place simultaneously. On sites with many external documents (such as MacAddict's own front page), the overhead of doing this becomes huge, and page downloading slows to an unbearable crawl over modems (this is why I use OmniWeb normally, but switch to iCab or even IE for some of my favorite sites). This one has got to be fixed, at least as a preference; better to queue them up (with priority going first to the page itself, then external text objects including stylesheets, then scripts, then images, then plugins). For modem users like me, this would be a godsend.

Threading is a Good Thing, particularly on fast connections. But although OmniWeb is A Damn Fine Browser in almost all other aspects, they went just a bit too far with this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SYN  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2000, 11:16 AM

I didn't notice the slowdown, but I guess it's cause I'm on cable here. You have got to give kudos to OMNI for OmniWeb. The single fact that it is Cocoa and thus doesn't go under the dock is a major plus. The fact that it keeps loading pages you're not rendering anymore is a problem that needs to be fixed, as well as the cache handling. But overall, this is a great piece of code IMO.

------------------
Soyons r�alistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2000, 11:56 AM

I am firmly placed in the Omnigroup camp. I think OW is far superior than it's competition, but it does need to get a little faster. Does this version seem to use more memory than the other versions? I have 192 megs on a G4 and I've actually seen some swapping going on. Not bad at all, but i've noticed it.

Does anyone know how to get rid of passwords for passworded sites? I cant find a way, and i've looked in the Cookies tab.

Now, after having downloaded a SIT archive, OW launches SIT Expander in Classic and not Carbon even though i have SIT Expander 6 and no check box in 'Open in Classic Environment'. Anyone know how to get it to expand in Carbon like the previous versions?

picotine
Nov 4, 2000, 02:40 PM

It's slow, and Hotmail doesn't seem to work anymore.

Music Player is skipping as I use it as well, on a G4/400 192MB.

That makes it more or less unacceptable.

jtsombakos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2000, 02:44 AM

I had the problem with Omniweb taking over the modem. I tried to go to a web page (www.macnn.com, coincidently). It would not come up, so I click the stop icon and tried to go somewhere else. Well, when I looked at the PPP Connect window (I'm on a modem connection), it shows that _something_ was receiving data - lots of it too! My received bytes was up to 1.6mb in no time, with no sign of stopping. I could not even get email, as whatever was downloading took over the whole connection. I even had a hard time getting PPP Connect to disconnect. Is there a way to see what is receiving all that info? I tried using "netstat" in a Terminal window, but it displayed a bunch of errors (something about being out of memory - hard to believe with a system that has 256mb of memory!)

Thanks,

john t.

pmcd
Senior User
Nov 5, 2000, 04:25 AM

I really like beta 7 a lot. It is extremely stable, works with my bank at last (ie won't) . The drawer doesn't seem as smooth and the bookmarks option doesn't save. Also there seems to be no place to specify the helpers. It's basically won me over however.

Philip

OddManOut
Nov 5, 2000, 04:39 AM

It's just so much slower than the Beta 6. I was stupid enough to trash Beta6 so I'm stuch with 7 now

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2000, 11:39 AM

I don't know what beta I had before 7, but 7 is way faster than it was, and it hasn't opened that damned crash app yet.

bleen
Senior User
Nov 6, 2000, 01:12 AM

Hotmail for both beta 6 and 7 would load then crash right before it finishes loading.

Nov 6, 2000, 07:23 PM

Does anyone know how to get rid of passwords for passworded sites? I cant find a way, and i've looked in the Cookies tab.
There's no UI for it right now, as we're planning on replacing our password storage implementation with support for the SecurityCore (Keychain) API. I believe you'll find them stored somewhere in your ~/Library/OmniWeb folder.

Now, after having downloaded a SIT archive, OW launches SIT Expander in Classic and not Carbon even though i have SIT Expander 6 and no check box in 'Open in Classic Environment'. Anyone know how to get it to expand in Carbon like the previous versions?
This is a bug in OS X, as far as I can tell. Try deleting the DesktopDB and DesktopDF files from the root level of your drive, for starters. Also, make sure you don't have any Classic-only (5.x) versions of Expander.

It's just so much slower than the Beta 6. I was stupid enough to trash Beta6 so I'm stuch with 7 now
Sorry! We're doing a LOT of optimization work right now, which involves major rewrites of parts of the code. At the same time, we're trying to add some killer features, like history indexing. In some cases, the result of this is that some things are temporarily slower than they were before. Don't worry, we'll speed things up in the future.

You can find older betas on our FTP site if you want to roll back for the time being. (ftp://ftp.omnigroup.com/pub/software/MacOSX/PublicBeta/Archive/)

Please be sure to send your bug reports and feature requests to us at [email protected]. We want to make OmniWeb the best browser out there, and we need your feedback to do it.

safinstyle
Nov 6, 2000, 10:18 PM

How come all of the fonts in OmniWeb are the same? Every webpage uses my default font settings...is there some way to turn this off?

safinstyle
Nov 6, 2000, 10:19 PM

How come all of the fonts in OmniWeb are the same? Every webpage uses my default font settings...is there some way to turn this off?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2000, 10:28 PM

Ok, I need to know...how do I get the stupid drawers out the door and a good old menu back in???????

"Cause I want to go somewhere, instead of just pulling down a menu and clicking, I have to pop open a drawer - which pushes my whole browser off the edge of my 15" screen. Then, I select, and have to close the stupid drawer....it is almost to the point of being ridiculous. Sure, Omniweb DOES have the best LOOKING browser, but I depend on certain sites that I load al the time. For me, it's next to useless to use, which is unfortunate......

greg

------------------
Though the day's been
really long
I still feel I'm close to
nowhere....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Gee4orce
Nov 7, 2000, 06:22 AM

Shortcut - you can open the Bookmarks as a separate window (in fact, you can open any number of Bookmarks file. In fact in fact, Bookmarks files are just HTML files). Look in the, um, 'Bookmarks' menu (I'm not infront of a Mac right now).

dapopster
Nov 7, 2000, 03:48 PM

Here's what I did: build your most used urls into folders in the "Favorites" section of the bookmarks. These appear in a nice row as popups just below the url line. If you keeps your folder names short it will use only one line. I like this system better than the bookmarks menu in Netscape.

By the way I don't notice any speed difference between OmniWeb and IE or Netscape.

dapopster
Nov 7, 2000, 03:51 PM

Here's what I did: build your most used urls into folders in the "Favorites" section of the bookmarks. These appear in a nice row as popups just below the url line. If you keeps your folder names short it will use only one line. I like this system better than the bookmarks menu in Netscape.

By the way I don't notice any speed difference between OmniWeb and IE or Netscape.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2000, 11:49 PM

I'm running OS 9 right now, so I can't check what you are saying. However, like I said...my G4 is hooked up to a 15" monitor. Sucks, I know - but I use every scrap of screen space I can. A popup window is possible, I know...but were do I put it???? I covers the rest of my browser window, which already takes up all my screen space. That's no good.....
A "Favs" menu is unobtrusive and unnoticed - except when I want it. It is very hard to get anything better than that, at least from what I've seen so far......

greg

------------------
Though the day's been
really long
nowhere....

Gee4orce
Nov 8, 2000, 06:28 AM

Shortcut: Ok - here's an alternative. As I mentioned, your Bookmarks file is really just an HTML file, so - open that HTML file in the browser and then bookmark it. Then put that bookmark on the 'Favourites' folder. (Alternatively, you can just drag the URL onto the Favourites toolbar.

Now, when you select this bookmark, you'll see a nice list off all your bookmarks, complete with comments. Nicer than a menu IMO.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2000, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Shortcut: Ok - here's an alternative. As I mentioned, your Bookmarks file is really just an HTML file, so - open that HTML file in the browser and then bookmark it. Then put that bookmark on the 'Favourites' folder. (Alternatively, you can just drag the URL onto the Favourites toolbar.
I don't like using the Favorites bar, and it's starting to really annoy me that I have to hide it by hand on every new window opened. It's an extra centimeter of wasted screen space on my already cramped 15" iMac DV.

In the Preferences, there's an option to "Show personal bookmarks in the Bookmark menu." I didn't do anything just now, but you may have to quit and reload OmniWeb.

In "Drawers" there's also an option to "close drawers after choosing an address." That might be helpful to ShortcutToMoncton.

I also find it annoying that OmniWeb doesn't save default Window size and positioning when you quit.

Otherwise - very slick program, I love the Cookie management and the Preferences dialog...now, if only they'd address my problems and allow for users to hide the control bar and implement a page holder, this would be the ultimate web browser. :-)

-chris.

Rufo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2000, 01:20 PM

I also find it annoying that OmniWeb doesn't save default Window size and positioning when you quit.
Look in the menus... somewhere in there there should be an option to Save Window Layout. Setup a window the way you like it (toolbars, lack of toolbars, size, position, whatever) and hit that option. It'll save everything about that window.

Rufo

aabernathy
Nov 8, 2000, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I don't like using the Favorites bar, and it's starting to really annoy me that I have to hide it by hand on every new window opened. It's an extra centimeter of wasted screen space on my already cramped 15" iMac DV.
(...)
We used to remember how you resized your windows, but we actually found it very frustrating: sometimes you would resize just for one page, and suddenly any new windows were that size. Not such a big deal if you do all your browsing in one window, but many of us tend to use several windows.

So we changed it, and no longer try to guess what you want. Set up your window the way you like, and choose "Save Window Layout" from the Browser menu. This includes things like default window position and whether or not you want the favorites bar in your window. Since one doesn't generally change their preferred window settings nearly as often as one resizes a window, we've found that this is _way_ nicer, but is unfortunately confusing to users who are already used to how other browsers manage this.

In the Preferences, there's an option to "Show personal bookmarks in the Bookmark menu." I didn't do anything just now, but you may have to quit and reload OmniWeb.
No, you don't need to restart, but we've got a bug with this, so you may need to turn this preference off and back on each time you start OmniWeb in order for it to take place. Sorry about that - should be fixed in the next release.

Ken at Omni
Nov 8, 2000, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback!

For those who don't like the default window configuration and position, check out the "Browser" menu. It has options for hiding the navigation, location, and favorites bars, and at the bottom of the menu is an option which saves the current window layout (including the window's position and whether those bars are hidden).

We used to automatically saved the window layout in OmniWeb 3, but the feedback we were getting back then was that people really just wanted the window to be in a particular place, and just because they moved it once didn't mean they wanted it to appear there later. So our current approach is to let users set up the window however they like, then save the configuration.

The page holder is an interesting idea; have you tried our "View links as bookmarks" option from the context menu and then saving those bookmarks? Oh wait, when we switched over to bookmarks-in-a-drawer we switched to autosaving bookmarks and disabled the manual save. Oops! That really should only apply to your personal bookmarks, not to other bookmarks files.

As for bookmarks in the menu: in beta 7 we introduced the "Show personal bookmarks in the Bookmark menu" option in preferences. When you first select this options, all of your bookmarks will be listed in your Bookmarks menu. Unfortunately, it looks like beta 7 has a race condition at launch time where it sets up that menu before it finishes loading the bookmarks file, so whenever you launch the app you need to uncheck and recheck that preference to get them listed again. (This will be fixed in beta 8, of course.)

For those who find beta 7 slow (Vlad? OddManOut?), could you please send more information about your configuration (especially RAM and net connection speed) to [email protected]? The majority of our feedback has been that beta 7 is quite fast, but some people are definitely finding us slow and I'd like to fix that.

(When slow, it could be that we're exhausting the network bandwidth, or introducing too much network latency between our requests, or that we're running out of RAM or just plain hogging the CPU. To make things faster, I really need to know which factors are out of balance: for example, we currently try to reduce the impact of network latency by leaning on network bandwidth, which works great for people on fast net connections--like us--but not so well for people on 56K modems. Perhaps we need to introduce a network speed preference, or better yet do some dynamic tuning based on apparent bandwidth limitations. Then again, maybe the problem is simply that we're running of RAM and swapping too much, or that we're not using enough RAM and end up having to reload from the network too soon, or we're using too much CPU as we index every page visited--which is why I really need to know more details about slow configurations.)

Oh, and for those who find drawers slower in this release: I assume you're using screens that are small enough that we're shrinking the browser window as we slide out the drawer? Window resizes are really slow right now, so we'll try to avoid unnecessary resizes in the next release. (We're also working on making window resizing faster by disabling dynamic relayout of web pages during resize operations.)

By the way, I strongly invite people to send questions and feedback to either [email protected] (which goes to OmniWeb tech support) or to [email protected] (the OmniWeb mailing list, which anyone can join). We're guaranteed to see messages sent to those locations, while there's no such that we'll see messages posted here.

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone!

Gee4orce
Nov 9, 2000, 05:31 AM

Last night I was trying to read the documentation for MySQL using OmniWeb - the HTML was on my machine, and the main contents page is a deeply nested unordered list of links. If was *painfully* slow on my machine (iMac DV SE (1999) 256Mb, 400 MHz) - taking maybe 10-15 seconds to display the page.

In frustration, I fired up iCab and loaded the same page. It popped up in about 3 seconds. I didn't try Explorer.

Clearly, in this case it's nothing to do with network performance.

I know that if I displayed the same page on my Windows machine at work (equivalent configuration to iMac, but 1/2 the memory) it would pop up instantly. I want my Mac to be faster than a lousy PC !!

I've also noticed that OmniWeb is about the only application that can cause SoundJam to skip in the background. Presumably OmniWeb is gobbling huge ammounts of CPU time, leaving none for SoundJam.

foamy
Senior User
Nov 9, 2000, 03:55 PM

Quick question. Is incremental display working? I check the box in the prefs and never notice any difference. When I quit and restart the box is unchecked.

foamy
Senior User
Nov 9, 2000, 04:28 PM

I just figured out that you can edit the prefs with the plist editor. Prefs are at ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb.plist

very cool, but I still can't see that incremental rendering is working.

I tried loading a huge thread in Slashdot and it just sat and waited until all the data was there, then rendered the page.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2000, 05:19 PM

"OmniWeb� is our full-featured web browser for Mac OS X."

Where does the "Full-featuerd" part fit in????

Untill it suppors Flash (properly) Quicktime and CSS im not going to bother,

Come on OmniGroup!! These are Mininum requirments for a "modern" ,"Full-featuerd" browser!

I would LOVE to see some compatition on the Mac browser front, but so far I see none.

IE is buggy (as all betas are) but it is the closes thing to a "Full-featuerd" Browser right now....

I dont care who makes the tool, but I will use the best one avalable to me. It that turns out to be OmniWeb, Good for them!

As it stands right now. I use IE.

[This message has been edited by Alex Duffield (edited 11-09-2000).]
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Petrie
Nov 9, 2000, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:

Until it supports Flash (properly) Quicktime and CSS im not going to bother,

[This message has been edited by Alex Duffield (edited 11-09-2000).]
So I'm not losing it!?! Even though it claims that QT plug-ins are loaded, they don't work?

Petrie
The bad new is I have MS. The good news is I don't mean Microsoft.

Ken at Omni
Nov 10, 2000, 03:48 AM

Last night I was trying to read the documentation for MySQL using OmniWeb - the HTML was on my machine, and the main contents page is a deeply nested unordered list of links. If was *painfully* slow on my machine (iMac DV SE (1999) 256Mb, 400 MHz) - taking maybe 10-15 seconds to display the page.
I downloaded the documentation and tested this, and I found that OmniWeb was, in fact, sitting there doing nothing for 15 seconds after I told it to load the page. I was watching the CPU monitor (on my Dual G4) the entire time, and we weren't using any CPU. But I was loading off the local hard drive, so it wasn't the network either...

I moved my mouse to try pulling up some more detailed diagnostics, and the page instantly rendered. When I hit reload, the page loaded in less than a second as long as I moved my mouse to wake up the application.

Turns out the problem is that when we ask the Cocoa application kit if there's a mouse event waiting, it sometimes waits forever if there's no input even though we explicitly told it to timeout immediately. I'm sure that Apple will fix this bug for GM, but I'll see if we can work around it ourselves as well.

In the meantime, if OmniWeb seems like it's sluggish about displaying a page, try moving your mouse.

I've also noticed that OmniWeb is about the only application that can cause SoundJam to skip in the background. Presumably OmniWeb is gobbling huge ammounts of CPU time, leaving none for SoundJam.
Obviously OmniWeb uses whatever CPU is available when it's available: it doesn't just leave some CPU idle in case another application wants it. If SoundJam would simply tell the operating system that it had time-critical scheduling requirements (by switching its process to use fixed priority scheduling), it wouldn't have to worry about getting its share of the CPU on time. (This is what we do in our unreleased MP3 player, and it works great.)

Originally posted by foamy:
Quick question. Is incremental display working? I check the box in the prefs and never notice any difference. When I quit and restart the box is unchecked.
I don't think that preference has been active since OmniWeb 2. We always display incrementally, but we've modified this slightly to wait until we fill a table before displaying it (so we're not constantly recalculating the table's layout) and a lot of today's web pages are one big table (so this often means that you see nothing until the entire page finishes loading).

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:
Until it suppors Flash (properly) Quicktime and CSS im not going to bother.
If you know of Flash pages that don't work, please let us know. We use Macromedia's reference implementation, so there really shouldn't be many incompatibilities except where the reference implementation was incomplete (e.g., there's currently no MP3 sound--we're getting QuickTime to decode that for us in beta 8--and some browser integration features may not work properly since they weren't part of reference implementation and we haven't finished implementing them yet).

As for QuickTime, it's not possible to display a QuickTime movie in a Cocoa window in Mac OS X Public Beta, but Apple assures us that this will be fixed for GM. Once Apple finishes implementing this capability, we'll finish integrating QuickTime. (Ditto for Java applets, which you didn't mention but others have.)

And, finally, as for CSS: some limited support is there now, and we're actively working on this. If you point us at pages that don't look right in OmniWeb, we'll fix them.

Originally posted by Petrie:
So I'm not losing it!?! Even though it claims that QT plug-ins are loaded, they don't work?
The QuickTime plug-in is a placeholder, and draws those placeholder buttons that download the movie and open it in QuickTime Player. Again, we're ready to support inline QuickTime as soon as Apple is.

By the way, I also received some direct feedback from some people which pointed me at slowness on the New York Times web site: if you go to www.nytimes.com, click on a link, then go back to the main page, you'll find that OmniWeb reloads the page from scratch (taking as long as it originally did), while IE and iCab reload the page much more quickly.

There are two meta tags at the top of the nytimes web page that are causing this behavior: the first meta tag tells the browser to expire the cache from the cache immediately ("Expire: now") and the second says not to cache the page at all ("Pragma: no-cache"). I just did some sleuthing, and it turns out that both IE and iCab ignore these directives, caching the page anyway. (IE expires the cache after 30 seconds or so, after which point I suspect you'll find it's as slow to return to the page as OmniWeb; iCab in its default configuration never expires the cache, so it never follows the page authors' wishes but is always fast.)

I'm considering adding some additional cache preference controls to OmniWeb which let the user specify a minimum cache expiration period as well as the (already provided) maximum expiration period. If we were to change that minimum to 30 seconds (or so), we'd presumably behave the same as IE.

Keep that feedback coming!

[This message has been edited by Ken at Omni (edited 11-10-2000).]

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2000, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
Obviously OmniWeb uses whatever CPU is available when it's available: it doesn't just leave some CPU idle in case another application wants it. If SoundJam would simply tell the operating system that it had time-critical scheduling requirements (by switching its process to use fixed priority scheduling), it wouldn't have to worry about getting its share of the CPU on time. (This is what we do in our unreleased MP3 player, and it works great.)
First off, let me say to you guys at Omni - you've provided the first credible alternative web browser to IE since Netscape 4.7 came along. I love it; I use it as my browser of choice.

However, in doing so, I'm going to air a few problems I've had in using it. I've already emailed Andrew a few times; he's been most helpful. However, there are a couple of things:

first off, it's not just SoundJam that people are having problems with. On a Powerbook G3/500 with 384 meg of 2-2-2 RAM, I get skips playing mp3s and running OmniWeb b7. Admittedly, it's much better than b6.

I do not use SoundJam - I'm an Audion person. Either way, both apps have an intelligent mp3 buffering feature, and this should all but eliminate skips (especially with the amount of RAM I have). However, this is not the case. It happens even more so when using QT or Music Player - no buffer.

The problem seems to get worse the longer you've been browsing. Memory fragmentation, or perhaps something to do with the cache? I don't know, but it's one of the few problems I have.

If you know of Flash pages that don't work, please let us know.
I don't know of any that don't work, but can you tell me why Flash slows down so much on certain web pages (won't on my PC).

For example, watch the opening sequence on http://www.asiaonline.net

A couple of other things:

do you know why tabs don't work sometimes in moving from field to field. For example, when I load up Altavista, I can't tab to the search field.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but I get extremely frustrated by the window menu! It moves pages around when lots are loading. Do you think you could keep the windows order by the foremost window at the top, and then each one beneath in order related to the last time they were selected (either clicked on or selected from the window menu).

And finally, a couple of feature requests:

the stupid proxy I have to work with here at college requires SOCKS v5 to get to secure pages. Is there any chance that SOCKS could be implemented as a proxy selection for OmniWeb? Otherwise I have to use IE for secure pages.

Finally, do you think under the preferences you could select a default value for accepting/rejecting cookies? I normally accept them, but I do like to see where they're coming from first... hence being able to set the default to accept (some people like reject) and being able just to hit enter when the warning window comes up would be way cool.

Perhaps a similar feature to IE on the back button that allows you to select which page you'd like to go back to. That would be good.

I keep getting an error message that doesn't pop up in other browsers, too; something about connecting to a non-active socket. Only happens in OmniWeb, closing the window and reconnecting fixes it though.

I can't think of a lot else, yet. There are still a fair few web pages that I can't get to... (IE only, or simply won't load, or don't like your javascript). Would you like us to post them here as we come across them?

Again, I think you guys have got potentially the best browser out there - whilst I've ranted for quite a bit, it's only 'cause I'd like it to be far and away the best. It's better, in most regards, than IE is for OS X.

Cheers,

James Allworth

------------------
"The pen is mightier than the sword" -- Sylvester Stallone gives a new perspective on irony

[This message has been edited by jamesa (edited 11-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jamesa (edited 11-11-2000).]

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2000, 04:28 AM

sorry, double post. me bad

[This message has been edited by jamesa (edited 11-10-2000).]

jtsombakos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2000, 09:45 AM

I tried to use Omniweb again last night. However, when trying to load www.macnn.com, Omniweb crashed. It displayed a window full of debug info that it wanted to email to Omnigroup. I said sure, go ahead. But of course, by this time my PPP connected was hosed, as is usual. So the email is still sitting in the outbox of the Mail app. I had tried to disconnect and reconnect but PPP connect would not let go of the connection. I know the phone was hung up, but I couldn't get PPP connect to let me dial. I even tried to kill the pppd daemon (kill -9) while logged in as root, but it just would not go away. I have PPP connect problems every time I dial in - the connection either will just die, not disconnect, just no data will go (a dns problem I think), or the connection will show a massive amount of data being received. Even if there aren't any internet apps open. There seems to be a consensus on this forum and on Macfixit that the new multi-processor G4's (I have a G4/450mp) have a problem with PPP connect. I hope Apple can fix this one, as OS X is useless for me for the internet.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2000, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by jtsombakos:
I tried to use Omniweb again last night. However, when trying to load www.macnn.com, Omniweb crashed. It displayed a window full of debug info that it wanted to email to Omnigroup. I said sure, go ahead. But of course, by this time my PPP connected was hosed, as is usual.
This does not appear to really concern OmniWeb. I think you might want to take this over to the Troubleshooting Forum.

-chris.

Molzar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2000, 11:30 AM

Last night I tried to use Omniweb b7 to down load the patched kernel for 604 machines ( http://www.fh-trier.de/~hitterm/file...03.for604.gz).

Clicking the above in Omniweb will cause the machine to start thrashing the disk intensely. The system becomes so unresponsive I had to wait 3 minutes for the force kill dialog to come up. This on a G4 500MP system with 256MB and no Classic running.

I believe Owniweb is attempting to render the file as a web page instead of downloading it. This link also causes this behavior in other web browsers (netscape), so I'm not sure the fact the file doesn't automatically download (without getting a poupup and forcing a save to disk) is necessarily Omwiwebs fault.

However, when this happens in other browsers, I can simply stop loading the page once I see the browser window start to fill up with garbage. Omniweb goes south immediately and must be forced killed, and what's more seems to drag the system to a crawl with it...

Note that other than this problem, I think OmwiWeb is currentltly the best browserfor OS X - i am using it as my primary browser and have not seem the infamous bomb since upgrading to B7.

I also second jamesa's request for socks support.

-Molzar

yippee
Nov 11, 2000, 09:15 AM

those people who hard code their pages to only accept Internet Explorer users should have their computers removed from them!

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 09:51 AM

I dunno if the problem with OmniWeb 4b7 launching Stuffit Expander 6 in Classic is an OS X problem, OmniWeb 4b6 launched Stuffit Expander 6 in Carbon just fine, and other apps have absolutley no trouble launching SE 6 in Carbon (iCab, IE, NewsWatcher-X).

AirSluf
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 02:43 PM

To get any OS X app (not just OmniWeb) to open Expander as Cocoa vice Classic, select the Expander icon and "inspect " it. You can inspect either from the Desktop menu or with the good old <command>-i. There will be a check box for opening, I forget whether to check it or not for Cocoa, but you get the idea. I just wish I could do the same to make Quicken open in Classic.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2000, 03:11 PM

I know all about that, and it doesnt help. The checkbox you were refering to btw is "Open in Classic Environment".

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2000, 02:12 AM

oh yeah, and I love the ad-blocking feature.

::evil chuckle::

V
Senior User
Nov 12, 2000, 02:55 AM

To solve the classic expander problem replace your copy of expander of OS 9 by the one in OS X (or any carbonized version).

Worked for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2000, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by aabernathy:
We used to remember how you resized your windows, but we actually found it very frustrating: sometimes you would resize just for one page, and suddenly any new windows were that size. Not such a big deal if you do all your browsing in one window, but many of us tend to use several windows.
oh cool...that's much better, actually!
I apologize for not looking through the menu options properly...it just didn't quite work as I came to expect from the other (inferior IMO) browsers.

Originally posted by aabernathy:
No, you don't need to restart, but we've got a bug with this, so you may need to turn this preference off and back on each time you start OmniWeb in order for it to take place. Sorry about that - should be fixed in the next release.
Ah. I really, really appreciate you guys hanging out here and giving direct feedback...just knowing that issues which might keep me from using an otherwise great product are known and being fixed is great - you're gaining a loyal customer here...

I also couldn't find an "Import Bookmarks..." function, and simply copying my Netscape bookmarks into the OmniWeb folder in /Library got them all messed up.

Re: Flash... http://www.spot-media.de doesn't work for me.
nor does http://www.comunit.de .

What are the odds of implementing URL auto-complete? I couldn't seem to find an option for it...

-chris.

Gee4orce
Nov 12, 2000, 11:40 AM

Ken,

I forgot to say how much I like OmniWeb - keep up the good work. That MP3 player you're working on sounds interesting - when can we expect to see a beta ??

One more thing I've noticed is that OmniWeb seems to get slower and slower the longer I've been browsing. I noticed that in 'top' the #PRTS (BSD ports ?) number is significantly greater than any other app I'm running - about 10 times as great. Does this indicate a problem ?

jtsombakos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2000, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
This does not appear to really concern OmniWeb. I think you might want to take this over to the Troubleshooting Forum.

-chris.
I think it does concern OmniWeb. Yes, there is a problem with PPP Connect and G4/MP's, but it seems that OmniWeb makes the problem happen quicker. If I don't run OmniWeb, the connection will last longer. Start up OmniWeb, and the connection will die much, much quicker. So there is a connection.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2000, 09:21 AM

One more thing I've noticed is that OmniWeb seems to get slower and slower the longer I've been browsing. I noticed that in 'top' the #PRTS (BSD ports ?) number is significantly greater than any other app I'm running - about 10 times as great. Does this indicate a problem ?
Ah ha! This is what I experienced with my MP3 player - the longer the browser has been open, the more prone it is to skipping.

Also, a question - what does 'attempted to write to non-connected socket' mean? Occasionally, when browsing, I get that error. Copying the url, closing the browser window, opening a new window and pasting the url in corrects the problem straight away, too.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2000, 10:28 PM

Fast or slow, I'll say one thing about OW4b7, it hasn't crashed on me YET. No matter what I throw at it, it has stayed up. This is definatley NOT the case with 4b6. Good work.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2000, 04:35 PM

OK, so now I've had a chance to use OmniWeb a little more....(beta6)....I'm finding that i really like it. However, things are hard to find and difficult to figure out. I really needed to look or ask someone to get some of my stuff. It's nice to have it, but it definitely needs getting used to.....

I DO like the Favorites bar now. After I figured out that links could be put in there (and that Ctrl-click edits them.... ) I really went to town. I definitely don't miss the Favorites menu now.....

The browser is simply elegant. It looks very, very cool and is organized well. I still like all my buttons grouped on the left side (not the Stop over on right) so I can hang my clock on the right, but that's a small point.

It actually Docks a loading page properly, not resulting in wipeouts like IE/iCab. This is the biggest reason I use it.... Cocoa, maybe...????

Beta6 won't scroll with the arrow keys...I hear it's fixed in 7. Plus, the speed seems a little on the slow side on my G4/400 when compared to IE or iCab - it's not snappy. Any reasons why, or future improvements....??

Overall, I'm defintely impressed...

greg

------------------
Though the day's been
really long
nowhere....

webrowwwser
Nov 15, 2000, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
I DO like the Favorites bar now. After I figured out that links could be put in there (and that Ctrl-click edits them.... ) I really went to town. I definitely don't miss the Favorites menu now.....
having the links up the top of each window is easier that having a menu for them, but it's amazing how entrenched you get to that Bookmarks window. Every browser I've ever used since Netscape 3 has had it there...

anachroisation
Nov 16, 2000, 01:22 AM

what I can't believe is the number of people using Internet Exploiter and iCrap when they could use Omniweb. It's far superior

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2000, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by anachroisation:
what I can't believe is the number of people using Internet Exploiter and iCrap when they could use Omniweb. It's far superior
Currently, I don't have a choice but to use IE and OmniWeb parallel. I love OmniWeb, but it crashes on me constantly ("Send Crash Report and Quit"), and a number of sites depend on full Java/Javascript support, and/or Flash.

So I use OmniWeb whenever I can, and IE when it won't do what's necessary or crash...

-chris.

Forum Links
Forum Rules