Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Roku products

Roku products
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 09:02 AM

I have clicked on a ad that was on macnn website. http://www.rokulabs.com/products/

I looked at their products and it was exactly what I thought Apple should make... We have all heard about peripherals that should be announce when MacWorld comes around.

I think there is a future for such peripherals.

I would like to know feedbacks from macnn readers whether they think those products are good.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 09:46 AM

I think elgato's EyeHome is a better product. It integrates with the MacOS more [iTunes, iPhoto, EyeTV] than Roku's products, and it supports video.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 11:41 AM

I have read a couple of reviews on the roku and they both have rated it very good. I like the concept alot and I am planning on purchasing it or it's competitor the slimp3.

As for eyetv I think it is also a great product but more than I am looking for. I only want audio and not video. I want somthing with a small footprint that doesn't require me to have the tv on to use it. It that type of device is what I was looking for I would go that route but, for me, it's not what i need.

Either way both great products

Paul_N
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
I think elgato's EyeHome is a better product. It integrates with the MacOS more [iTunes, iPhoto, EyeTV] than Roku's products, and it supports video.
Not necessarily true. The Roku is more HDTV friendly then the EyeHome. It also plays better with your existing setup as it has pass-through capabilities that let you put the product inline wih other components. The EyeHome requires a dedicated port on your TV/HDTV device.

This passthrough capability is a must for me. I only have one VGA/component input on my hdtv, and I'm currently using it with my hdtv receiver. If I went with the EyeHome, I'd have to choose between HDTV or hig-res EyeHome streamed media. High res is a must, seeing as I bought a widescreen HDTV monitor. The nice thing about the Roku is that it is upgrade proof because of this, whereas I am sure that the next version of the EyeHome will have HDTV pass through capabilities in a year or two (once HDTV sets are the norm). I don't want to have to upgrade yet again.

The EyeHome does have nice integration as a poster mentioned, and I am curious about how well the Roku plays with the network. The nice thing about the Roku is that in theory, getting access to the underlying operating system should be simple. It's running linux, which means there is probably a hard drive or a compact flash card in there with the OS. Mount it on another computer and modify to your hearts content. This will allow people to tailor the product to their needs (if you know how to program). Thats a bonus in my book..

I see the Roku as the pro-sumer model, and the EyeHome as the consumer version. For all intensive purposes the EyeHome will get the job done. I think the Roku is the device to get if you are already serious about HDTV and are concerned about the number of inputs on your TV. Price also reflects this. $249 for the EyeHome, $499 for the Roku.

The Roku can also act as a converter which is nice, ie, you can go from progressive scan component inputs to VGA, allowing you to attach devices to a computer monitor or LCD panel (with appropriate VGA->DVI->ADC adapter). Hmm HDTV on a 23" ACD.

Just my thoughts..

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
No display on the unit.

"If it's broke, you choke."

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 05:27 PM

Does anyone have any experience with using any of the three products (slimp3, roku or eyehome) on a wireless network? How well does it work with airport? Can it deal with WEP and WPA networks? I don't want to have to open my wireless network to the whole world to use one of these gadgets.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 07:59 PM

I use the Slim Squeezebox (does not require a wireless bridge like the slimp3...) on an airport network using WEP. All i can say since I got it is wonderful!!! Brilliant product. Simple to setup. Have optical connection from it to 5.1 system in Sitting room.

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:25 PM

Has anyone tried one of these devices with the new WPA security that Apple implemented in the latest airport software? It was a major pain just getting my XP laptop to work with WPA, so I'm concerned about how difficult something like this would be, to say the least.

Originally posted by finknottle:
I use the Slim Squeezebox (does not require a wireless bridge like the slimp3...) on an airport network using WEP. All i can say since I got it is wonderful!!! Brilliant product. Simple to setup. Have optical connection from it to 5.1 system in Sitting room.

Forum Links
Forum Rules