Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Nikon D70: NEF or JPEG file

Nikon D70: NEF or JPEG file
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 08:47 AM

Hi,

My father has just bought a Nikon D70 and he uses it on his PC. Since he does not know much about computers, he asked me the following question and I would like you to help me.

So, the raw format of the pictures taken has an exctention called .NEF. This format is not recognized by Adobe Photoshop Element 2.0. So he uses a Nikon software to export the file as a JPEG. The camera by itself can take pictures as a JPEG file.

So, what is better. 1- to take a picture and record it in the raw format - .NEF. Then uses the computer to export it as JPEG. 2- Take pictures in the JPEG format since it will be better quality.

Thanks for your help.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

brianb
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

If I were you I would Shoot in the first Level Jpeg mode. That little amount of Compression goes a long way and you will never visually see a diffrence. On Nikons as I understand it the first level Jpeg is a lossless compression. ( I shoot Canon so I am taking that from other sources.) I can tell you one of my favorite profesional photographers shoots Nikon and first Level JPG. http://www.moose395.net . I have taken a few seminars from this guy and he really does know his stuff about this digital format. From a couple things I have seen though It may be that Nikon is developing a way in which the camera can record both the RAW and JPG formats Together (very sketchy on my part I haven't read up much on it). Anyway I would say your 1st level JPG is great you should be able to make up to 18x12 prints with no problem at that resolution. (anything larger and the photo lab will probally make a slide to do the enlargements) Also you get to save space and make those CF cards hold alot more photos.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 03:08 PM

If it's jpeg, it's lossy. No ifs ands or buts. For maximum quality and to enlarge images to full potential, he should shoot in RAW format and then export from the Nikon software as TIFF files. In addition to the max res, you'll get more color information which is just as important. My opinion is that if you spend the money on a camera with these features, use them or stick with a point and shoot.

RAW format is similar to a negative, it is all the information that was present on the sensor when the photo was shot, there for you get the maximum amount of information possible.

Most cameras that shoot RAW also save a lower resolution compressed jpeg at the same time. This includes the Canon Digital Rebel and 10D and I would imagine the Nikon as well. This image is usually what's used to preview on the LCD.

sony2303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 04:12 PM

Hi this is a good starting place for your father to look at, Its a forum for D70 users.

Sony

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 09:04 PM

As the owner of of D70 myself, I would recommend using the D70 in jpeg mode unless you like to fiddle with the images a lot. Setting the D70 to Large jpeg, with fine compression level. the raw files are great if for more advanced users. I import them directly into Photoshop CS and like the ability to control every aspect of the image. But most users just want to see their pictures, so jpeg mode is perfect for them. Also, your father will be able to have a lot more photos on each compact flash card this way as well. You can shoot in raw mode and jpeg at the same time, but only if you want to go through the extra steps. I would also recommend the following website, it is Nikon specific:

http://www.nikonians.org
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules