Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAM in graphic cards questions

RAM in graphic cards questions
dopik
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 12:37 AM

Hi,

Many people complains about the new iMac because it has only 64 Mo of Video RAM? I am considering buying one but I would like my questions about RAM in graphic cards to be answered first.

First, I thought that RAM for graphic cards was only useful for games, is that right?

Second, do I need more than 64Mo for my computer usage? I use Office - Word, Excel, rarely PowerPoint - Internet, iTools - iTunes, iMovie - and I never play. I think the last time I play a video game was a decade ago on a Game Boy.

Thanks for your comments.

dopik
I am a Compulsive Software Update Button Clicker

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by dopik:

First, I thought that RAM for graphic cards was only useful for games, is that right?

Second, do I need more than 64Mo for my computer usage? I use Office - Word, Excel, rarely PowerPoint - Internet, iTools - iTunes, iMovie - and I never play. I think the last time I play a video game was a decade ago on a Game Boy.

Thanks for your comments.

dopik
Yes, the Video card is really just used for games and 3D work. Even Photoshop doesn't use it all that much.

For the things you are going to use it for you could get away with 8 megs.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

deboerjo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 02:19 AM

Beyond 4-12MB (depending on your preferred resolution), more video memory only helps you if you're doing 3d work. However, games aren't the only thing doing 3d anymore. The latest versions of OS X improve 2d performance by rendering the 2d desktop as a 3d scene, offloading graphical work to the graphics card. This acceleration requires at least 16MB (32MB optimally).

That said, you certainly don't need more video memory than 64MB currently if you don't intend to game. 3 years from now, though, who knows.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by dopik:
Many people complains about the new iMac because it has only 64 Mo of Video RAM? I am considering buying one but I would like my questions about RAM in graphic cards to be answered first.
Don't get confused by all the rants about the iMac's graphics card.
As long as you are not looking for 3D intensive games or software, you'll be more than fine.

If you are a Doom FPS junkie, you'd better get a PC.
For everything else, the iMac G5 is an excellent choice !

-t

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2004, 06:58 PM

Video RAM was a big issue for anyone with the first iMac. It shipped with 2 MB of VRAM and couldn't display millions of colours at 1024x768. You had to settle for thousands of colours or drop the resolution to 800x600 to get millions. You could pop in a 4 MB module to get 6 MB total.

No days it's mostly about 3D games and running 2 monitors (spanning and not mirroring).

Minch_Yoda
Sep 4, 2004, 07:28 PM

i agree that a majority of the GFX cards coplaints are from gamers or people who plan on using this as there main comp for 4+ years the complaints arent about the 64mb vram its the 5200 ultra card itself

Forum Links
Forum Rules